Let us type in Korean in East, West servers too!

Any reason why we can’t type Korean in East and West servers?
I know that we can type Korean in the Korean server.

Despite the fact that Out of 10 players in East and West, more than 60~70% are Koreans or maybe even 80%+ and it doesn’t make sense that we can’t type Korean in the chat rooms… We are Koreans who live in Canada and USA etc. or heck, there are people who came to study abroad and playing Starcraft…

Chat in Korean in game = O
Chat in Korean in game lobby = O
Chat in Korean by whispering = O
Chat in Korean in chat rooms = X

Why???

Bunch of Korean people in the chat room typing in Konglish and whispering to one another to just talk in Korean… when we have like more than 4 people. Why do we have to chat in Konglish??? (typing in English but sounds like Korean)

I understand that you guys don’t want Korean people to chat in Korean in front of English speakers but… The truth is that they’re going to type Konglish ANYWAY… So the English speakers won’t even know what the heck we’re talking about so what’s the point…

Please consider allowing Korean Character typing in West and East servers as well like the Korean server…

Thanks!

1 Like

To explain this behavior: we have no problem with people chatting in other languages - the issue here is technical and historical. Our gateways are still (largely) using server code from the old days. That code does not work with unicode characters. Instead, each gateway is configured to use a particular codepage. That’s why Korean characters work on the Korean gateway but not on the US gateways.

It’s on our list of things we’d like to address on the server side, it just hasn’t managed to rise to a high enough priority to displace other important tasks yet.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply Grant Davies,

As I remember, we had no issue typing in Korean before remastered came out. I’m referring from about 10 years ago when we were playing Broodwar… Please check…

Also, if there’s a line of code that allows the Korean server to let people type in Korean, it shouldn’t be that hard to just add that line in the East and the West server.

1 Like

What I remember instead is that Korean language always ended up with funny characters, at last in the games lobby list.

I also have no memory of any Korean being able to write in Korean in the chat channels.

Was that something client side? mb yes because Korean looked like random symbols also in the Korean server.

1 Like

If you’re not Korean, your computer language isn’t set to Korean so it’ll either appeared all broken up or in squares in the chats no matter where you’re at.

2 Likes

We really need this updates! you are able to type in gamemode/waiting room but unable to type in the channel itself.
this will increase lots of Korean in West server!!!

Asia server are able to type in Korean in every section in this game… why not in East/West sever/others?

really need this updates asap.

1 Like

I really wish they update this for EAST & WEST so we can type korean in the channel area…

also new console/skins for this year! =(