Is sc remastered dead?

I am thinking of getting sc remastered but my friend who already has it says that in the middle of the day there is like less then 300 people online on the eu server and that outside of korea its basically dead.

So do you think I should buy remastered then?I am installing the free version tonight

2 Likes

I can only regret to tell you。
Your friend is right :cry: :cry: :cry:

3 Likes

It depends on what you get it for, ladder? That’s global so server numbers don’t really matter. If customs just use US West as that’s what most people use, I’ve only seen melee and hunters really hosted on Europe. Timing may be as well, but yeah Europe around the peaks I’ve seen is around 800 vs 4.5k for US west. Korea obviously is still the hotspot though with the daily peak around 28k

2 Likes

Let me add that the daily number of Chinese servers is about 2.5K

1 Like

And then there are 1500 people watching stream of Artosis. There seems to be more people who like to watch than to play

5 Likes

They just have to add bots… and make AI the “new big deal”, people will play it more and fell more adjust to jump to multiplayer because people dont practice, but if you have a nice progressive BOT or AI you can play people will stay, that is exactly what EA is doing with Red Alert Remastered right now, i belong to the council there which is a set of players that advice the developers and that is like a top priority request for the community and it should also be here.

5 Likes

For anyone looking to play against bots to improve, and bots that do have realistic builds and semi-human control look up “SCHNAIL Starcraft” this is a separate launcher that uses 1.16.1 so remastered install won’t be affected. But it has bots for practice mode and a ranked mode. All 3 races as well as random, and these bots are all skill levels.

5 Likes

Imo Bizzards biggest mistake was lack of implementation of splitted game modes and ladder modes: first Original Pro Mode for Pros and Purists and second Modern Mode with all qol changes (am, uus, mbs, camera zoom) for new players, casuals, old vets ect with eg V-S ranks.
I would back to SC, but mechanic is too f… arachaic, playing this game is too stressfull and frustrating, especially after some hours with sc2.

3 Likes

I only got Starcraft: Remastered because I saw Blizzard’s announcement back in July of last year that they were adding Carbot graphics to the game, something I considered worth having, considering I enjoy Carbot’s videos, especially their Starcraft videos.

1 Like

Broodwar as a game is not dead, but its online aspect is. If you dont have a 10+years of ingame experience already, then Im afraid there is no easy place for you here. Starcraft’s is a no-man’s-land for casual players that want to play&learn and only a few players with tons of experience are still playing. These low numbers indicate that fair competition is nonviable.

90% of newcomers gave up playing broodwar due to the smurfs and the insanely huge skill gap that exists, and the training method to become good is a no-fun, archaic process that probably requires another person that has some knowledge. Thankfully lots of starcraft players are offering to help the newbs, but one must ask himself first if its worth spending a big chunk of his time to learn how to play a game this hard and catch up with the community, when its active playerbase shrinks every day. Hell, even the old players now prefer to watch rather than play(due to less time or a wrist injury I guess)

An ai could definitely allow new players to get familiar with the game and stick around, but do you really expect nuBlizzard to do anything good these days for its fanbase? Personally, I even gave up hope on the 2v2 let alone an advanced AI that they dont even have it in their-to-do-list. (I dont think anyone would make an easy to play against AI with BWAPI anymore)

Just be thankful that Starcraft remastered turned out to be at least a decent remaster of its glorious counterpart. If you have limited knowledge to the game or not at all, just buy remastered version on a sale and play the remastered campaign, play couple of matches with your pal, try the ladder for a few times, and move on with your life. Thats what I did with this game. I wont take broodwar seriously anymore, and I feel pretty bummed about it.

4 Likes

Please ignore the negative reviews from your friend and some of the commentators here. I would try it out yourself. There are plenty of games on US West. We are hosting 2v2s every day starting from 8 PM Eastern time and have no trouble finding people. We also got to know many of the players who frequently play so it makes for a tighter social circle which we are trying to unify more through our discord channel (Team Think Quick) and twitch channel (Primaonettv). Please join and follow us to support the US West community of gamers! If you do decide to play on US West, you will run into us and most likely have your games recorded and streamed. I guarantee it!

2 Likes

USWest active public channels:
)V(
CPL

USWest has hella hunters/melee/1vs1 play&obs games on it from 7pm~2am PST.

3 Likes

Dead dead, I think and wish not.
These are the maximum players that I have seen last month in each of the servers (Rush Hour).

it seems that Korea (obviously) and LATAM are the most active

Korean server
24000 players

Europe Server
800 players

West server
3800 players

East Server
450 players

Asia Server
2200 players

2 Likes

QoL changes would destroy the game balance completely. The game was balanced with those limitations in mind.

Just imagine forcing the limitations of BW onto SC2 and think about how balance would change.

Btw you say playing BW is stressful and frustrating - how do you think it feels for a BW player coming to SC2 and almost everything is done for you? I dont think it is satisfying moving a maxed out army around in SC2, and why should it feel rewarding: it is a childs play to box and click. Honestly, I am experiencing frustration in those kinds of situations (I think, psychologically it is called “Secondary Frustration”).

EDIT: I dont see a point in playing a game where the small and little things cannot give satisfaction because there is no effort in achieveing them. This is the main difference between BW and SC2 imho, and the popularity of SC2 was never really that big in KR - probably partly for this reason.

1 Like

Broodwar as a game is not dead, but its online aspect is. If you dont have a 10+years of ingame experience already, then Im afraid there is no easy place for you here. Starcraft’s is a no-man’s-land for casual players that want to play&learn and only a few players with tons of experience are still playing. These low numbers indicate that fair competition is nonviable.

And there is simple solution to that : 2v2 or bigger team modes

I remember trying to play online WC3 for the first time years ago. Playing 1v1 was pure massacre back then. Then I started playing 4v4, then 3v3, then 2v2 and it was amazing experience. Team consists of players with different skill levels. Even if you are terrible, you can still enjoy the game and get carried by better players. That is why 3v3 hunters is so popular.

3 Likes

i Disagree, yeah all you say is true, but if the noob wants to make game 2 vs 6 ai iam happy to play with him …

1 Like

Sorry my english very poor

i think starcraft remaster online server should not display the online player number,
i had played many competitive games,if that game become not so popular
then it still display online player number, it will become the vicious circle
it will dissuade new blood enter this game,so i think remove the online number is better

by the way,why the starcraft remaster not so many players in the online game right now
i think many people could be like me ,still waiting team matchmaking come out
(i bought the starcraft remaster around 3 years,i just played around 1 hours )

2 Likes