Ideas for team color use

Because lots of people seem to have bad eyesight and complain that they can’t distinguish between some of the new and old colors because they are too similar I have a couple suggestions regarding this.

• A new color mode (comparable to the other two, where in the first one you can switch minimap colors to show team colors instead of player colors and the second one, where team colors are used both for the minimap and for the mainscreen), where one team has one set of colors and another has a different set for their players. An example could be bright colors vs. dark colors or bright colors vs. light colors and dark colors etc. [if there is multiple teams such as in 2v2v2v2, I don’t know which sort of formula to use but currently in the team color mode it doesn’t even show colors for multiple teams AFAIK but rather only for your color (teal), ally color (yellow) and enemy color (red).]
  • This new color mode to replace the default color mode (default player color mode) for ranked 1v1 games (and maybe other gametypes in the future) for added visual variety for both players themselves and spectators of progames etc., so that people wouldn’t have to watch blue vs red every time just because they can’t distinguish between two colors. So in this new mode one player would be on for example the bright side or dark side, or bright side or dark side and light side.

Any combination of sets of colors are fine as long as they are easy to distinguish from each other between different teams.
In non-team custom games I guess you have to pick a nice collection of colors yourselves to figure out what people should or shouldn’t use. The default player colors + black, turquoise and some others might fit in

• I’d really like a true black color. Is it possible to keep the current “black” as dark grey and add a new one for black? Maybe some details can be hidden beneath the dark colors without it looking too stupid?
  • Mineral and vespene geyser minimap color change to keep the turquoise as an outline and the center as gold or yellow, so that you can distinguish them from a turquoise player color.
  • A dotted black and white outline for units and buildings on the minimap to replace the current one color black outline for easier recognition.

Edit:

• One more potential idea for team colors in the future: What if in certain gamemodes or leagues you could “earn” your colors for a team such as for a clan or proteam, where you would have home and away colors for each team like in ice hockey or football (soccer) or whatever?

Edit2: Using the suggestion for the mineral color thing you could obviously use the new minimap outline color for the center instead and vice versa too. Also you could use a new blue and yellow for the minerals that are not used as team colors, incase you remove some colors.

Personally I think this patch added a lot of fun for normal games and as I posted countless times, I’m against of removal of any colors. You don’t really need to write a wall of text because you’re diving too deep here. Fix is simple: make an option to disable extended colors when making lobby.

1 Like

And before you start replying, maybe you should read the wall of text first so you know what I’m talking about.

Yes, we know you posted countless times… you keep telling the world your opinion!

I’m enjoying reading all about the different ideas for solutions. Just because something isn’t an issue for you, doesn’t mean it’s not an issue for someone else.

2 Likes

I’m in favor of making this a toggle option in creating games, because I personally REALLY like this feature and it doesn’t effect the gameplay, but I understand that some extended colors are a bit difficult to see for some.