Full hotkeys customization

Hello,

In SC2, I use a custom layout I invented, and as I play ladder regularly, I’m used to it.
In this layout, I placed some camera location on letters (R, A, for example), and moved some action-keys (A-click for example) in other places, as well as some of the army-groups that are now on letters. I also use SPACEBAR and TAB intensively.

In SC1, it seems unable to use SPACEBAR and TAB, neither to move 0-9 control groups on letters, neither to move F5-F8 cameras on letters. It’s very disabling for any player who memorized (muscular memory) a layout in a game.

I know what will be the common responses :

1. “How do you do in other games ?” -> Well I use the same layout than in SC2, because they allow a full tweak.

2. “It would cause a problem of balance in the game”.

Well my response about balance is always the same (as for the “zooming out” feature asked a thousand times) :

A) It’s always a way to hide the lazyness to program things.

B) No, it wouldn’t cause a problem of balance because you open it to everyone.

Details here :

B1) If you give the possibility to tweak completly the layout, everyone can do it, wether they are aware of that feature or not.
B2) If you want to harmonize things between the original version and the master one, regarding to the ladder, you can implement the thing in the original version, or create an option to separate players using full-custom layouts from people using the blocked one (if both communities meet in the ladder), or if you really want to speed-up things (or don’t want to separate people in real-life competition contexts) you can also create an option to disable the full-customization.

Also, last argument and not the worse one :
B3 : How about people who don’t use customization in SC2 ? Aren’t they handicaped compared to others ?

Maybe you will ask “so if we disable it in this or that context, what’s the purpose ?”
The purpose is to be able to play the game. Because for now, I can’t -> I will certainly not learn an other layout for SC1 ans risk to mess up my muscular memory when coming back to SC2.

If the response is “we don’t care about one guys asking a thing for him”, my answer is : I’m not sure that there will be many people other than fancore SC1 players playing to the remastered version. What’s the goal if you risk discouraging people from playing a game, and discard people coming from the SC2 community ?

You can most definitively use an external software for that, those are not features that the software has, if you are just playing for fun you can do that, though i will recommend you to learn to use the option available with the game itself as in reality this is a different game from SC2… Yeah i know how annoying this sounds, but maybe you will get good enough and invited to the multiple tournaments that run all the time online, if you do that you will be pursue for using external software of any kind, better keep it real and legacy if you can.

External software have been used for several years in old KESPA era, but they all did only what is now available with remastered, which is changing the keys for the units and not things like F1 F2 F3, Customize TAB etc… those are out of the questions for professional and tournaments.

Also remember that as beautiful this game the community is very small and elite like, almost a 100% of the player base will be against the implementation of said customizable features, starting the the PRO Korean scene which drives and decides for the rest of us. Also BLIZZARD is not or ever will be available for any modification of this kind as this game is already archived for them, so dont get your hopes for a direct answer or this features implementation at any point a near future.

GLHF.

1 Like

You need to understand 1st that as The100You has said “SC1 is a really different game than SC2”

Even if Bli :zzz: ard tried to implement that, they’ll fail, it won’t make any sense, and the game won’t be at all, SC1 that we all know, I tried to explain a similar case there to someone.

In short they don’t want to annoy you or even please SC1 fans, you just can’t convert an old phone with buttons to a smart phone with touch screen.

2 Likes

I understand that you think that Blizzard won’t even care about this topic, but to keep my optimism about communications between players and developers, I want to fight against the lazy assertions wich tend to maintain bad mindsets and imped improvements.

This is not an argument : I already said that all others games can be tweaked entirely, wether or not they are similar or different, so I can use my personal bindings layout.

those are out of the questions for professional and tournaments.

For what rational reason ?

if you do that you will be pursue for using external software

Because people are stupid and cognitively limited, yeah. If they don’t agree that something improve something and are wrong about it, they will FORCE others to be as limited as themselves.

Also remember that as beautiful this game the community is very small and elite like, almost a 100% of the player base will be against the implementation of said customizable features

I think that people just ASSUME that this is a reality, and repeat that unverified statement until it becomes a reality. But in fact, everybody would love to be able to tweak keyboard bindings as they like.

What you explain is an improved idea that we could not move what is already made to another locations on the keyboard. You talked about complex inter-dependencies of keys : but i know all of that, and it DOES NOT cancel the idea of moving those keys to other locations.

I could prove you that we can move some keys to other locations, but it would necessitate to analyze all the keys of the keyboard that are already used in SC1, and it would take a huge place in a topic. All you have to know is :slight_smile:

1. This complexity is present in SC2.
  2. I have won over it in SC2 and created my personal keybind layout by resolving the complex inter-dependencies.
  3. So it is possible, you just have to admit it.

But the problem is that when people FAIL to resolve a thing, they tend to think that nobody can and that people who think they can are pretentious.

you just can’t convert an old phone with buttons to a smart phone with touch screen.

That analogy, while TRUE, is not relevant : I’m not trying to convert SC1 in SC2, but just trying to have the same keyboard capability. So to correct your analogy : I’m not trying to convert an old phone in a smartphone by implementing a touchscreen, but just to remove physicall buttons and transform them in touchscreen icons. :wink: The rest stays the same.

I really don’t know how SC2 hotkeys works, I don’t even know the default number of grid buttons there, I just know that they’re 9 in SC1.
So, despite that the taste of SC1 will differ permanently, they’ll have to change, not just the code and default hotkeys/mechanics, but the in-game UI, which is a lot to hope from Bli :zzz: ard.

I’m only talking from the company perspective here, not that most SC1 players will want to kill you :skull: :joy:

FTR, some1 was asking b4 for a way to build workers non-stop, I suggested CoachAI (a practice tool for SC 1.16), he said cool, but he is not accustomed to the default hotkeys of 1.16 bc of SCR custom ones, some people don’t want to re-learn new things every day even if its better and unique experience.

No they won’t, because I’m not asking to add some features. I’m just asking to allow a free keyboard remapping.