Fix for Graphics Driver Too Old/Not Up To Date

Sooooooooooo… I have a fix. So backstory, I was trying to update my driver even tho it already told me it was up to date (checked through device manager check for update) (HD Graphics Family) so I looked at Intel and it said I needed to check my pc manufacturer website because it was a custom. So I check HP and it gives a list of 3 different ones, I find the one for HD Graphics Family and download it and install it. But I’ll be it is actually somehow an older version. Game doesn’t work of course so I search for my other version and literally cannot find it anywhere. So I’m like ok maybe if I uninstall the one I just installed so I do that restart pc and it’s got no driver. Im like well for laughs and giggles I’ll test brood war. And what do you know brood war starts right up. Unfortunately I cannot connect my monitor to play this way… and it’s beyond choppy so not really a fix. I then reinstall my driver by checking for update in device manager and it now works! (Also this installed an even newer version than my original… go figure.)

Just make sure to uninstall your driver first (it will install a basic driver so you can still see the monitor) . Then restart your PC and then update it.

For anyone confused about how to uninstall your driver it’s simple. You uninstall your display driver like any other program. Go to control panel under programs click uninstall a program then find your driver (mine says Intel graphics controller) if you can’t find it try installing a different version and the install date will be on the day you installed it so you will know which one it is. Restart your PC, and then go to device manager and right click on your display driver and click check for update. Before it kept telling me everything is up to date when I did this it installed the new driver version and brood war now works.

Tengo una solución Así que en el pasado, estaba tratando de actualizar mi controlador incluso aunque ya me dijera que estaba actualizado (comprobado a través del administrador de dispositivos para la actualización) (HD Graphics Family) Miré a Intel y me dijo que necesitaba consultar el sitio web del fabricante de mi PC porque era costumbre Así que verifico HP y me da una lista de 3 diferentes, encuentro el de HD Graphics Family y lo descargo e instalo. En realidad, de alguna manera es una versión anterior. El juego no funciona, por supuesto, así que busco mi otra versión y no puedo encontrarla en ningún lado. Así que estoy bien, tal vez si desinstalo el que acabo de instalar, puedo recuperar mi antiguo controlador. Hago eso para reiniciar la PC y no tiene controlador. Me gustan las risas y las risas. Probaré la guerra de cría. ¿Y qué sabes? La guerra de cría comienza de inmediato. Lamentablemente, no puedo conectar mi monitor para reproducirlo de esta manera … y está más allá del entrecortado, así que no es una solución Luego reinstalo mi controlador buscando actualizaciones en el administrador de dispositivos y ¡ahora funciona! (También esto instaló una versión aún más nueva que mi original … imagínense).

Solo asegúrese de desinstalar su controlador primero (instalará un controlador básico para que aún pueda ver el monitor). Luego reinicie su PC y luego actualícela.

Para cualquier persona confundida acerca de cómo desinstalar su controlador, es simple. Desinstala tu controlador de pantalla como cualquier otro programa. Vaya al panel de control debajo de programas, haga clic en desinstalar un programa y luego busque su controlador (el mío dice controlador de gráficos Intel) si no puede encontrarlo, intente instalar una versión diferente y la fecha de instalación será el día en que lo instaló para que sepa qué uno es Reinicie su PC, luego vaya al administrador de dispositivos y haga clic derecho en su controlador de pantalla y haga clic en buscar actualización. Antes de seguir diciéndome que todo estaba actualizado cuando hice esto, instaló la nueva versión del controlador y la guerra de cría ahora funciona.

3 Likes

Greetings,

I’ve tried to play the game yesterday and had that some issue and after trying lots of things I’ve finally found a way to fix this and I’d like to share a bit of info here about how I did it and hopefully it will help others as well. First of of I’d like to thank doglived for this great piece of info posted, it really shed some light into this issue.
So, are you ready for poor english explanations? I’ll try my best :wink:

Now, a few infos I think would be nice for you to know:

• I’m using an HP notebook
  • It is very old
  • It uses Intel HD Graphics
  • It won’t let me use driver updates provided by Intel (doh)

My main challenges:

• Figuring out more info about my Intel HD Graphics specifications so I could get the correct updated drivers from Intel.
  • How to bypass that Error Message when I tried to install the drivers.

Figuring out more info about my Intel HD Graphics

Okay, we all gone through that DxDiag already and we all can see the Display Adapter name there. But in my case, and maybe yours, it just says Intel HD Graphics. That info doesn’t help much, it’s too generic. If you are a fan of Terminator movies, its like trying to kill a Terminator without knowing if it is a T800 or a T1000. There are several models/Generations for Intel HD Graphics and you need to find out which is yours.

So, if you think this is your problem as well, good news follow:

• Check your processor name on that same DxDiag
  • Go to Intel Ark (ark. intel. com)
  • Find your processor info (Mine was Intel Celeron 1000M - damn old! ps:Blizzard could send me new computer as a gift for being so kind with all of these trolls lurking in HoTs)
  • Check the info about the Graphics Processor @ Intel Ark
  • Now you know the right drive you’ll be looking for, mine was a 3rd Generation Drive.

Download the Drive from Intel

• Look for the driver you need in the list of drivers provided @ Intel Support Site, they all have infos about their Generation/Model.
  • DON’T download the *.EXE file for the drivers.
  • Go for the *.ZIP option.
  • Unzip files into some folder you’ll find easily.
  • Drink some water and breathe deeply b4 next step.

How to bypass that Error Message when I tried to install the drivers.
This is the annoying part of it and I’ll let this Chris Hoffman geek tell you why:

This occurs because your computer manufacturer has changed a setting in the Intel graphics drivers it preinstalled, indicating the standard Intel graphics drivers from Intel shouldn’t be allowed. Your system manufacturer (in my case, HP) wants you to get your graphics driver updates from their website, not Intel’s.

Unfortunately, there are some big problems with this. Manufacturers often don’t keep these graphics drivers updated, and you may need a newer version of the graphics driver to fix bugs or achieve faster performance in some games. These newer versions may only be available from Intel directly.

Manufacturers enable this setting because they’re cautious. They can only allow drivers they’ve tested to run on your PC. However, we don’t see any reason why the standard Intel drivers shouldn’t work on PCs with just Intel graphics. Computer manufacturers can’t customize this Intel graphics hardware, so Intel’s own drivers should be fine.

Great, now you know your manufacterer screwed you up. Just to let u know, my most updated HP driver for 3rd generation Intel Graphics is from 2013 :skull: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:.

After I downloaded Intel’s 2020 update for my driver I could install it using the method described here: howtogeek. com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/. I could describe it all over here but I think the content in the link does a far better job than I could ever do. It justs bypass that damn error message you would get, just make sure to follow all the steps and pay attention. There is a video there as well, teaching the step by step thing.

Now SCR runs okay, and the best part is that my driver will remain updated (no more old HP drivers, it will update directly from intel next time there is a release).

Hope this helps you all, thanks for your time and see u in the Void/Nexus! :v:

2 Likes

Great input! Hopefully other people can get their driver’s fixed. I suspect that everyone who has this problem has a custom driver installed by the manufacturer, and the manufacturer in turn doesn’t keep the drivers up to date. A quick glance through looks like many many of the manufacturers were HP. Thanks for shedding some more light onto this topic! I had suspected something of this nature after I fixed mine by uninstalling it and running the update.

Hey, TheUnknown I also posted this on reddit do you mind if I add your info to it or if you can add your post to it with this info. (r/brood war , the topic name is exact same as this.) Thanks!

2 Likes

all good my friend! Add it as you wish =) Glad that it helps!