Fate of Koprulu Sector: Better off or worse off

Well, I finally finished the Brood War campaign in its entirety and saw the entire story. And after I finished it, I thought to myself, “What would’ve happened if the UED had defeated Kerrigan instead of ending up being curb-stomped and thrashed by her?” Would the Koprulu sector have been better off or worse off than what had actually happened?

1 Like

The UED would have probably established the same type of totalitarian government that was in Earth, so they would have wiped out al psionics. They weren’t to keen on the Daelaam so they would have probably clashed with and killed them. The same thing for Kerrigan’s Swarm.

Now, spoiler for Starcraft 2:

Without Kerrigan’s swarm and Daelaam forces, there probably wouldn’t be a way to defeat Amon. He could still have managed a way to create hybrids, using his own Zerg (and UED slave swarm) and the Taldarim, and placing Narud as a mole in the UED, the same way he did with the Dominion.

1 Like

You don’t quite understand what 250-300 years means in terms of goverment shifting? Here’s a hint - 250 years ago United States of America weren’t even a thing. Another hint should really be UED propaganda video precisely and openly referring to UED psychics controlling the Overmind.

Considering Amon’s behaviour in campaign and the fact that he managed to get defeated by a sorry excuse for what’s left of Dominion, crippled Kerrigan’s swarm (his only opponent with some actual power, whom we don’t see do literally anything during the entirety of war besides blowing up 2 space stations) and a bunch of surviving Daelaam on a cruise yacht, while having at his disposal hybrids, crippled broods from Aiur, most of the Daelaam forces and entirety of Tal’darim, doesn’t seem he presents any real danger to a competent military force.
As far as we don’t consider unfounded claims made by certain characters like “Amon will destroy entire universe” which are not supported by anything we actually observe, the UED is bigger threat to the universe than Amon could ever hope to be, considering that UED managed to defeat two major factions of the Koprulu sector with one Admiral worth of forces, while Amon with entirety of his war machine managed to achieve nothing.

Answering the actual question, it’s hard to speculate since we don’t even remotely know what ideals does UED represent and follow, aside from a very vague militaristic and a bit less vague xenophobic theme. It’s up to intepretation really. Like I mentioned above, usually governments don’t hold to the same ideals for hundreds of years straight, but for all we know the UED could be exactly the same as UPL 300 years ago, aside from psionics part (which weren’t known of until supercarriers launch btw, so how could they have been a target of UPL purging program, exactly?) - we don’t have sufficient evidence to support either hypotesis. Logically change is more probable than stagnancy, but SC writers never cared much for logic.

1 Like

Logic not friend for science.

Logic is “ii + ii = iiii” its logical. Your “HD” is logical. Stupid for stupid.

In the behind a times we be “American idiots” but its true.
Now, we “HD idiots” but “HD” its stupid logic.

Wanna is back to times for idiots of true times, without this DirectX 10…more&more.

Hey great topic but lets leave SC2 out of it as its not even the same story anymore. I am looking forward to reading more of this.

1 Like

I agree - I’ve been enjoying reading this too (except the posts from a certain user, of course).

Also agree. Admittedly I have still to finish the Protoss campaign, but I am disappointed with the story, especially agreeing with UEDCommander’s description of Amon!

I am interested to know what you mean by it not being the same story.
(Not disagreeing with you, just interested in your reasoning.)

1 Like

Question isn’t directed to me, but if it was i would answer it with this: vanilla SC and BW primaraly focused on factions and contribution of characters into them rather than separate isolated character arcs, had pretty grounded story, a lot of moral relativism and was good at developing points of view of most/all sides participating in conflict. SC2 doesn’t feature anything of the above for sake of classic 17th century fairytale which inadequately and inconsistenly large scale. Nuff said.

1 Like

Who is and what is Amon lul. Please don’t stick that SC2 BS storyline here. Let’s pretend it never happened. Also OP, there’s custom campaign (which is decent and challenging by the way) called After BroodWar, you should try it out.

http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6645
Direct download link:
https://mega.nz/#F!KhwRgTib!PScIUZrqu0bDs-yyiNCUDA

1 Like

You say that SC2 storyline is BS, and then recommend After BW, story of which is similar to SC2’s on about too much levels.

1 Like

Well from what I saw it came out 1999 so for a fan campaign it’s better than SC2. I played it hundred years ago, can’t call what happened on the storyline.

1 Like

UEDCommander - good response. I get the point. Lack of character arcs in SC2 was something that made it dull for me too.

Thanks for the link, I’m always looking for new and interesting campaigns! I’m not too bothered if the storyline is a little similar to SC2, the fact that it’s played on SC1 will make it better anyway!

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like you got the point, though. There are plenty and in fact too many characters arcs in SC2, the problem is they’re all isolated from the main story and as a result the characters along with their arcs don’t contribute anything to the faction. You can cut everyone who is not Artanis, Karax and maybe Alarak, and literally nothing will change.

1 Like

Answer: no SCII and might have been for the better, at least in most storyline parts.
And of course, that if we also don’t include Brood War’s secret mission.

Anyways, probably it would have been more TvP (toss are psionic able :D).

1 Like

Fair point, I should have thought more before I responded!
I felt there weren’t many decent main character arcs (I had guessed Tychus’ “plot twist” way before the end), and you are also correct in that there were way too many side characters. I didn’t really feel that many of the side characters had ‘arcs’, it felt more that they were there just as an excuse for more missions.

Maybe I’ll feel differently on another playthrough, if I can be bothered to do that.

1 Like