Disabling Windows key on the keyboard

Hi! I am new here and would not like to mess up with the ladder rules, so have a question. I plan to disable a Windows key on the keyboard, because it is just ridiculous and direct me to my desktop when I try to press Ctrl sometimes. So maybe I will use a program to disable it. Would such actions be considered as a cheating, since in this way I plan to make my play a bit easier?

Huh? I thought the game already had such function built in… maybe I’m confusing it with StarCraft 2? Hmm… I don’t know if Print screen could also be assigned to another key.

You could remove the key cap of your windows key whenever you want to play starcraft.

2 Likes

Yeah. I googled that I can just use a program to disable that key. My concerns are mainly about cheating detection. If they find 3rd party software which modifies my keyboard, would not it be considered as cheating?

It could be considered cheating, so I would not do that, if I were you. How are they supposed to know that you are not modifying your 1-0 keys?

Just take the key-cap off, and you will not experience trouble anymore.

Buying a mechnical keyboard is a must for that reason imho.

1 Like

I don’t see why you don’t remove the windows cap instead. I find it suspicious that you insist on making this program.

Better yet, buy any modern gaming mechanical keyboard and you can disable it. You can find a cheap one for about 30 bucks.

Don’t worry bro just disable it with a program, used to be in every launcher

Shouldn’t the “customize hotkeys” include a “disable windows key” option ingame? I think we already have that in SC2 why not here?

Probably cause there is no demand for it. Most if not all pro gamers would remove the windows cap. It’s equally as effective and it’s just as easy.

Here is my solution on the problem^^

Such a barbaric solution is not easily doable on laptop keyboards. I play StarCraft Remastered and StarCraft 2 on a laptop. I would prefer a more elegant solution please.

Buy a separate keyboard, connect it to your laptop, remove cap.

BTW a ton of people still do this. Calling it barbaric is a bit dramatic.

Mayhap, if you don’t consider the fact that a keyboard may not be that cheap and even more if it’s a laptop one, and taking out the key brings the risk of breaking it.
On the other hand, it’s just a little option in the hotkeys menu to be added by Blizzard, but even so It would be good if all of us at least agreed that adding such an option would be useful.

Ive never heard anyone complain about breaking their keyboards while trying to remove a keycap. They are mechanical. Google " how to clean keyboard " You need to remove the caps to clean it, it’s perfectly fine to remove a key cap.

This sort of thing has been done for 20 years. It’s not something new that people are wondering whether works or not. If you are that afraid of breaking a keyboard, then buy a gaming keyboard that gives you the option to disable windows key completely. A cheap gaming keyboard with blue switches will run you for about 25-30 dollars max. I bought a cheap gaming keyboard long ago with blue switches and LED’s for 25 dollars and that keyboard had the option to disable windows button.

Again, if you can’t afford that, go to your local walmart, buy one of their keyboards for 10-15 dollars and remove the keycap. For the record walmart keyboards have lasted me way longer than any gaming keyboard ive owned. So you can’t go wrong with a cheap keyboard from walmart.

Sure that option would be useful for people who are too stubborn to listen to sound advice. " How to Remove Laptop Keyboard Keys" google that. Also, you will learn how to clean your keyboard by learning how to remove keycaps.

BTW whenever you buy keyboards, companies often give you this tool that remove keycaps so clearly, removing them isn’t as troubling as you make it seem. The tool they give you works basically the same way as digging a screw driver threw the edges of your keyboard and slinging the key upward. A simple google search will help solve your problem.

1 Like

Dude i have the windows, f1, and capslock key caps pulled off my keyboard and mine is over $300 with the ability to reprogram all my keys. So ether you are being barbaric in pulling keycaps off or your using a laptop keyboard (which are trash) jusy buy a cheap mechanical keyboard and pull the windows key. Or buy a keyboad that locks out the windows key. The HyperX alloy one i think is like $80 and you can disable the windows key with no extra programs installed.

I even have my f1, 2 windows, left-capslock, and menu keycaps taken out.

I regularily put my f1 key in and take it out again, depending on the game that I am playing. If you have a mechanical keyboard, there is no risk at all involved with it.

What part of I am playing on a laptop do you not understand? And no, don’t expect me to have a mechanical keyboard, I can’t. Besides, I have never seen the tool to remove individual keys that UnlimitedXP mentions, maybe I would have to search for it, but it is definitely not convenient for me.
EDIT
Sorry if I sound harsh guys. Maybe I’m getting too old, or maybe I’m just tired.

Laptops keyboards are not trash dude, they arent just not that versatile most of the times. …
Also why should somebody pay that much money for some keyboards ?
I mean come on i want to enjoy but 300 dollars for one keyboard or 80 dollars…
I mean there many old keyboards out there much cheaper doing the same job …
Iam no expert but some of the old keyboards are actually really good for gaming … The only problem i see is that they got the old connection, not USB, but 6 pin Mini-DIN (PS/2connector)…
So you would need an adapter …

Hear me out :
Just stop pressing it …
Controll your hands… and get rid of that habit …

My keyboard is only that expensive because its all customized. I got it was around $250 i think and i regret nothing in buying it since i love the layout. In my opinion laptop keyboards are trash, even for typing. If your fine with a laptop keyboard thats fine but i personally will only use laptop keyboard if i have to. If im playing a game im going to avoid using laptop keyboard, or even membrane keyboard. Its my personal preference. I also dont remember the last time i truly accedently hit the windows key but i do always accedently hit my caps lock key and sometimes my tab key. Accidents happen.

OP has two options to solve his problem. 1. Download a program to disable the windows key (dont know if you can disable it through windows. I never bothered to look.) 2. Buy a keyboard he likes that can ether disable windows key, have keycap to remove so he doesn’t accidentally hit it, or get a winkeyless keyboard. Im not going to say he needs to spend $200 on a keyboard im just saying there are options out there with some being really cheap.