Custom Campaign: Hiring

Hey guys, for a while I’ve been wanting to comission a custom campaign and originally I had planned on making it on the SC2 editor but today I had the idea of using the SC1 editor instead, only to find out Blizzard removed it. ( :I)

In any case, I would still be interested in putting a team together to make my campaign using ScmDraft but I know nothing about it and I had questions about it I’d need answered before I can start hiring. Such as:

-Can you upload custom made assets?
-Does ScmDraft use SC:R assets?
-Can you alter existing SC:R assets?

Anybody that can help me out or is interested in helping me for fun and profit, let me know.

You would be better off using Starcraft II editor, as you will have a lot more in depth freedom. Unless of course you are going for a MOD i do not believe you can accomplish the things you are hoping to do with SC1.

I’m not technically minded by any stretch, can you go into more detail as to why it can’t be done? You said unless I’m going for a MOD, which I guess I am but I don’t know.

I wrote a starter guide that explains the basics of modding (what it is, how to do a few simple tasks), which you can look at here: http://pr0nogo.wikidot.com/rs-starter

The short answer is that modding involves creating a version of the game using external tools (i.e. not the default editor). Mods usually come in the form of custom executables that inject your custom code into the game on launch (though samase may do this differently for SC:R mods).

Tools exist to edit SC:R assets but modding the game itself is severely limited as you can’t define brand new game rules, so you must operate in the workspace created by Neiv, iquare, and others. This is why I mod on 1.16.1, which allows me to benefit from more features and even write my own features through reverse engineering if I need to. Working on SC:R also has the downside of forced updates, whereas 1.16.1 is here to stay and the mods therein are future-proof as long as you can run the base game.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Be gentle with me on this one, cause again my understanding of computer programming is non-existent but theoretically could somebody make a copy of Starcraft: Remastered that isn’t tied to battle.net and mod it to their specifications?

Nope, SC:R has always-online DRM. You would need to reverse engineer a version freeze.