Campaign review: War of the Tribes

War of the Tribes is a custom campaign made by Gabriel Sorrel in 1999.

Intro: Interesting story and design.
Mission 1 - “Return to Shakuras”: It’s a desert tileset which is weird. Each starting Mineral Field has 3000 minerals, and a close expansion, so resources wasn’t a problem. Lots of enemy Protoss.
Mission 2 - “The Khalis and Uraj”: This one was even more difficult. Fun macro missions so far.
Cutscene 1: This is better than a plain text explanation.
Mission 3 - “City of the Xel’Naga”: Blocked paths made this map a bit confusing, but very intriguing. Zerg becomes really agresive later on, especially red.
Mission 4 - “The Onat”: The Nydus Canals were a huge problem… Lots of Hydralisks and especially lots of Lurkers. After the Probe started the extraction nothing much really have happened.
Mission 5 - “Into the Fire”: OK, enemy Dark Templars were scary in this map. Dragoons on high ground and Zeratul to clean red base.
Mission 6 - “Insurrection”: The single ramp and high ground in starting base made this mission a lot easier. Mind Control Carriers is a good option.
Mission 7 - “The Umojan Protectorate”: Story takes a complete different direction, I have to admit that it was a bit weird that you go directly into helping strangers. The last Terran base was hard, with so many Bunkers and on high ground. The last Zerg attack ended in the bottom left of the map, stationary units.
Cutscene 2: At first I thought it would be a very long cutscene due to the size of the map.
Mission 8 - “Danimoth”: Well done with the new character. I think this mission shouldn’t have had invincible Bunkers, because there wasn’t an explanation for them to be like that. A bit of an issue with those Turrets too. The Zerg base seemed strange to me.
Mission 9 - “Shadows of War”: I didn’t notice that this was the map of the previous cutscene. Starts very difficult, I only managed to survive by putting everything together in the center of the base. The Protoss trapped in the Zerg base was a good idea. Very interesting map, but difficult.
Mission 10 - “Missing Link”: The orange Protoss was crazy. I had a lot of Carriers doing fine and suddendly I lost all of them because of the large amount of enemy Scouts. Then I tried to eliminate the main base with ground units on the high ground but there were lots of units, and more inside the base there were lots of Reavers. I had to go to the Beacon directly.
Mission 11 - “Infiltrated”: Rare to control a Siege Tank in an installation map.
Cutscene 3: I gotta say it doesn’t fit well a Protoss cinematic about their past in an installation map.
Mission 12 - “Lost Heritage”: The behaviour of red Terran was so weird. Easy victory condition.
Mission 13 - “Into the Labyrinth”: Very good concept of micro mission, with different use of the Powerups and some strong, lonely enemy units in the way.
Mission 14 - “The Gathering”: Takes little time to complete the mission because there are almost no obstacles in the air space.
Mission 15 - “Aiur”: This mission has been really difficult, the map is too big and there are lots of targets well scattered in the map.
Mission 16 - “Grave Covenant”: No shared vision with ally Zerg but a Map Revealer instead.
Cutscene 4: I was worried about Fenril.
Mission 17 - “End of One Darkness”: The mission briefings generated a lot of expectation. Made a lot of defense, reached the max 200 Psi, after that I started to build lots of Photon Cannons, but then almost nothing happened… Last paragraphs had too short time for reading.

Overall this is a good campaign, but with a disappointing ending. I rate it 6 out of 10.

2 Likes