Campaign Review: Vanguard of Aiur

This is the second campaign made by Giacomo Onorati, in 2021.

Mission 1 - “Last Call”: Good amount of resources and good number of expansions. The red Zerg is all over the place and attacking their colonies can result in clearing some expansions. It’s a bit difficult because the player is not allowed to lose one Khalai, and Reavers are particularly slow. Map layout is really good, though I haven’t explored the main Zerg base.

Mission 2 - “Shutdown”: One single Overlord caused me to lose this mission. I think a number of Zerg, like three or more, entering the Warp Gate would have been a better defeat condition. I barely explored the map, but it looked really good, like the previous one.

Mission 3 - “The Lions Den”: Interesting layout. Challenging mission. I used a Dropship to circumvent the Spore Colonies and rescue the Terran base quickly.

Mission 4 - “Circle of Suicidials”: I tried this mission 90 times. I know it because of the number of replays in my cloud. I sniped down the enemy ComSat with a nuke, then used Dark Templars most of the time. I covered Raynor behind some Dark Templars in the expansion located north to the starting base, I used the Mineral Fields to help cover Raynor. Using triggers targeting Raynor with Infested Terrans was not good. Raynor doesn’t even have Ion Thruster. It’s just there to make the mission way more complicated and way more annoying.

Mission 5 - “Homing Pigeons”: Too many transmissions coming from the Dropships. The Dropship’s escape routes should have been randomized.

Mission 6 - “Usurpation”: I liked this one. As DK pointed out in the video description of his showcase, it’s possible to snipe down the three High Templars. I tried and succeeded, even though I lost Raynor after triggering Victory. It’s interesting to point out that the timer won’t start until the yellow Zealots are all killed, so you can “win” without even enabling the final objectives.

Mission 7 - “Old Grudge”: I liked a lot the transfer of units and buildings after defeating orange. This mission unfolds in two stages. First defeating the Protoss, and then defeating the Zerg. Very good ending.

The next one I will be reviewing is Enslavers: Special Edition.
The worse of this campaign has been the 4th mission. It was just too annoying.
5 out of 10

1 Like