Campaign review: Forsaken

Forsaken is a custom campaign made by RoughRider in 2022.

Mission 1 - “Unforeseen Circumstances”: While I was warping my units, I explored the map with Zeratul and killed the red Sunken Colonies. Unfortunately I lost Zeratul once because, while he was off-screen, he got lured to the brown base and died to the three Sunken Colonies surrounding the ramp. The next time I paid more attention to Zeratul. The arrival of air units during my second attempt made things a lot easier, since they were fully upgraded.

Mission 2 - “No Way Out”: After some time playing this map I placed a Zealot to block the stairs near my starting base. One of brown’s attacks included a Ultralisk that got stuck in the upper ground. I explored the rest of the map with Scouts, but I didn’t kill the brown Zerg before completing the mission. I liked the setting of this campaign so far, and the feeling when exploring this abandoned space station.

Mission 3 - “The One They’ve Left Behind”: Map layouts are excellent in this campaign. Impressive how the terrain shows a destroyed platform. Usually doodads are used to represent devastation or destructed areas. But here it was achieved through terrain. I was exploring the map with the Pegasus. But after it started to get health damage, while being chased by Hydralisks, I moved it to one of the craters at the north of the map. From there I was able to get rid of the Hydralisks. I built four Shuttles to attack the southeast corner.

Mission 4 - “Song of a Forgotten Warrior”: There are two important events in this briefing -Ghon wakes up and gets interrogated, and a Terran building is discovered- which was fine, but could have been separate temporally. An alternative for this briefing could have been moving the High Templar transmission to the ending of the previous map (or during the final stages of the map, e.g. few Zerg buildings remaining), and here in this briefing Gohn would be interrogated about the Terran building, so that there would still be dialogue relating to this mission. Just to make the course of events more natural.
I still got the “ACCESS DENIED” message after opening the door in Location 5. I was exploring the map with Zealots scattered everywhere because I didn’t know how to open the Liquidator. An objective update could serve as a reminder to go to the Arsenal again. But I was still able to complete the mission. I don’t know why the Data Counter activated right before initiating the liquidation (the counter changed from “Access Codes” to “Data”).

Mission 5 - “Scrap Yard”: As I haven’t succeeded destroying the Protoss base at the northwest corner, I attacked the base in the center of the map. I was attacked really often by the Protoss on two of my expansions -the island in the middle with separate mineral and gas, and the one with gas only and red structures going south from my starting base- while my expansion in the upper side was mostly ignored. The minerals in the middle of the map started to run out, so I tried to expand in the southeast corner. I couldn’t destroy that Protoss base, so I simply decided to complete the mission by reaching the Beacons. The enemy Protoss were warping lots of units for defense.

Mission 6 - “Reaching Out”: Launching my first attack was a bit difficult, as the Zerg suddenly started to send lots of units to defend, even Scourges against my air units. I placed one Reaver, two Dragoons and built two Photon Cannons in the geyser-only expansion. I did the same for the other geyser expansion to the right, but the Zerg gave up after I destroyed all bases in the right side of the map. For my final attack to the northwest corner I had 6 Carriers and 6 full Shuttles.

This campaign stands out for its terrain design. One of the map names had a mispelling, so I fixed it here.
8 out of 10

This is my final review for now. I will be working on my Maporino submission for this year, and later I’ll start making a Protoss custom campaign.

1 Like

Where did you find this campaign? I’ve been looking for this one for sometime now to no avail.

Thx in advanced.

2 Likes

The author posted this one and others of his campaigns here:
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/604728-custom-campaign-upload

1 Like