Additional Story Series review

This is not a custom campaign actually, but a mission collection made in 2021 by CaHeK.

Mission 1 - “Fury of the Swarm”: Most of the map is occupied by the enemy Protoss base. It would have been better if the map maker had enhanced gameplay using some triggers.
The Cerebrate recommends eliminating the Terrans, but that’s almost mandatory since their location in the map. At least the layout of the enemy bases is well desinged, but I don’t like how the Protoss base was conceived: It has 10 Gateways, 3 Robotics Facilities and 8 Stargates, the number of each factory is too big.

Mission 2 - “The Praetor’s Fall”: Grammar mistake “enough times has elapsed” in briefing and another one in map dialogues. Map has been reused, resources should have been depleted.
There are 3 enemy players of the same color. Repeated colors will be a common feature in this series.

Mission 3 - “Assault on Antiga Prime”: 10 Barracks, 6 Factories and 7 Starports for purple Terrans. Fortunately, I didn’t know the map layout because I never played the Melee/Free For All version of the map.

Mission 4 - “The Restructuring”: I liked the mineral/gas transfer from one player to another. This map allows the player to choose which way to go, there are two red bases that you can attack.

Mission 5 - “Check, but not checkmate”: Many grammar mistakes. I can’t understand why a Cerebrate would allow a Dark Templar to stay so close… Also, the Cerebrate’s location in the map is already quite isolated.
Based on Queen of Blades, by Aaron Rosenberg.

Mission 6 - “Finding the Way”: The enemy starting with Siege Mode was annoying. I can see that the red Terrans didn’t have time to evacuate the planet before the Zerg arrival.

Mission 7 - “The Outer Reaches”: This map was fun and I like desert maps. You already have to destroy the enemy bases, so the Generator and Science Facilities were just on the road.

Mission 8 - “The Fall of the Homeworld”: The Reavers in the orange base were a huge problem. I was distracted for a moment and they killed most of my Dragoons, so I had to reload.
Aldaris’ lines were anticlimatic. First, he wants to convince Tassadar to desist from his actions, then he calls him a heretic. Was he trying to persuade Tassadar or was he just trying to threaten him? I know it’s based on the book “Twilight” from the Dark Templar Series, by Christie Golden. But Aldaris is misrepresented and doesn’t sound very convincing either. Also, it doesn’t look realistic how Tassadar forces alone beat the Conclave entirely.
As a last note, I played Jungle Siege a lot on BNet, so I already knew the map layout. The fact that it’s a symetric multiplayer map has not been good for this last mission. That was a shame because this was the last map of the series.

Some maps were Retribution without voice acting. Enemies start with too much resources, not optimal for gameplay.
6 out of 10.

2 Likes