Why do people act like balance is an excuse for bad design?

Hard disagree, nothing enjoyable about the start of every game being so long I could make a sandwich before anything interesting happens.

Lol yeah, enjoy no DX12 and increasing security concerns due to Win7 having its support dropped in Jan 2020. No Elden Ring on Win7.

There’s always those that prefer stagnation.

The races are completely distinct still…no idea why you think they’re all identical. The maps are balanced, that’s the point. I would rather have 8 similar maps that are balanced than 8 completely distinct maps where you can know the winner by what race they’re playing on the map (cough bw cough). Positioning is still critical. You see losses due to bad positioning all the time. Believe it or not, strategy still wasn’t affecting you in WoL or HotS unless you were Top GM. Mechanics > Strategy in literally every single RTS. That’s intrinsic to the “real time” part of it. You can be a strategic genius but if you have 20 APM you’re just going to lose because you don’t have as much stuff. That was still true in WoL. If you want a 100% big brain strategy game you’ll have to play Turn Based Strategy games where mechanics do not matter at all, it’s only strategy. It’s amazing to me that in 2022 people still don’t get that about RTS.

1 Like