Which mutations are actually good

Shortsighted is good? Seriously? I would rather put it into the awful mutator list.

Same for Concussive Attacks, Microtransactions

Also i find scorched earth, self destruct, temporal field, time warp, twister not bad at all. Unless you have other mutators mess with your ability to micro, you can counter them well.

That is, unless they get into stupid combinations… like self destruct + alien incubation on dead of night… that is a speciality for that map only. If you never played that before, get ready to be surprised once the first night ends.

All in all, my take is that different people have different tastes. A mutator veto option, so everyone can kick out those they dislike… :+1:

Shortsighted is fine on its own. It encourages you to make units that excel at short range and/or spot ahead. It’s only when it’s combined with other cheese that it becomes a huge pain.

Maybe you misunderstood… I dont find shortsighted on its own hard at all. Its actually trivially easy to beat. Just a stupid to play with.

It removes most micro potential from the game. Trying to snipe or focus fire key targets becomes much less possible and less effective.

And spotting is not very effective in combat either, if the spotting unit needs to be right on top of enemies to do the spotting.

Unless with spotting you mean having melee units everywhere… but i would not call that spotting, but mass zergling/baneling and F2-a-move. Or mass ultralisk and F2-a-move. Or mass mutalisk and a-move. With shortsighted, the simplest and easiest stratgies are the ones that stay more or less as effective as before.

Or try making 10+ orbitals and scan every 10s. That is 6 scans per minute… or less than 20 apm. It is really not much at all. I would call this stupid easy… but works.

All those work… they work great. None are particularly fun, difficult or require any non trivial playstyle. At least thats what i feel.

Oh, I’m not defending it. Just relatively speaking, in the realm of mostly crappy mutators with very little fun factor, it’s “good.” What I don’t like, however, is how freaking common it is. So sick of seeing it.

1 Like

I put shortsighted in the good column because it changes the game without hosing particular commanders. It encourages mixing close range and long range units, which all commanders have an option for. Not the most impactful mutator obviously, but the basic mechanics fit the bill of a well-designed mutator.

1 Like