What is there to look forward to in 2020?

Let’s see…

Revamps - These are done and doesn’t look like they are interested in revisits even though some commanders really need it.

New commanders - Seems the most likely of anything in terms of new content, if at all, and that is presuming they even bother with it.

New maps - Not a damn thing for more than 18 months and it looks like that ain’t gonna change.

New mutations - Should keep seeing them until they grow bored or uninterested and put them back on repeats.

Leaderboards - Remember that? It was going to be a thing for a time but nothing has happened and is almost certainly scrapped.

Other factors to consider:

• SC2 will be 10 years old this year and Co-op was out a little over 4 years ago. That’s a long time for any game; how much longer are they willing to provide support before it’s handed off to the Classic Games department?

• Player population is very likely down or trending down year-on-year thus it would be less justification for additional new content.

• Rate of new content has slowed over the past 2 years or so.

• Blizzard communications for Co-op is haphazard at best.

At this point in time, indications are that 2020 is going to be very quiet for Co-op. Sure, things can change along the way but it seems unlikely.

But luckily, 2020 is going to be a bumper year for gaming elsewhere. I know where my attention will be if Blizzard lets this slide.

3 Likes

I’m hoping the next Commander is Protoss. Either Rohana (most wanted) or Selendis (very wanted). I would like to be surprised by an Ouros Commander (Protoss).

If we get a new map; I’d like a Zerg focus map with a Zerg Advisor.

We don’t know for sure that revamps are done for. We might get a revamp with the release of a new commander.

New commanders are certainly quite likely. I haven’t heard much about it recently, but I think there was talk several months ago about a few potential Co-op characters with references in the editor. I’m hoping we get 2 more for each race before it all stops, but who knows?

As far as maps go, check this out:

It’s not official, but it’s really cool, and fun to play. Highly recommend.

Mutations they should add are straight forward simple ones. Like everything has +3 armor. We don’t need weird complicated stuff, we just need variety. Give everything 10% of it’s total HP+sheild as additional shields. Give every unit burrow, so they don’t popup until you are close enough to attack. Give every unit, even melee, +3 range. Give every building an attack like a cannon. Have all units start with 3/3 upgrades. Make units move faster the less HP the have left, and alternatively, do the exact opposite of that.

Leaderboards would be great. They should have different things on their though. Like one for resources per character. (Raynor can be by how fast until fully mined out.) And a separate one for maxing out your population. And then obviously for how fast you beat the mission, and a separate one for with/without bonuses.

SC2 is a pretty old game. We can only hope that they see the value in continuing support, if for no other reason than to show they still care about their brand, and to show they aren’t just driven by money.

I’m hyped for all sorts of games. DOOM is the next on the horizon that I’m hyped for. Hopefully Reforged is good, but I’m not getting my hopes up until after release, even though I already bought it. The future is bright, even if it’s not bright for Blizzard games.

They said this a month ago:

At the same time, it has to make business sense. No point in making content for a game with dwindling player interest especially if the cost outweighs the benefit.

You’re right. I had forgotten they said that. However, I still think they might be willing to making smaller-ish changes to a few commanders. It may be a long shot, but it’s possible.

I still think that was bad phrasing on their part.

I look forward to them adding another set of revamps out of no where that no one asked for. Maybe this time they can delete Mass bio on Raynor, that’s a popular one, or maybe mass dragoons, I could see them nerfing mass reapers into oblivion as well.

1 Like