Trusting Activision and Starcraft 3

Do you know if these market analyses are published anywhere? It seems quite unfortunate that the nature of our society today is that major publishers could buy a brand and then decide to squash it even if it has a large user-base interested in its technology.

As a long time fan of Warcraft III, one day I found myself reading a post on the Arclight Rumble forums where a user was complaining that resources were expended to build Arclight Rumble instead of to fix Reforged. And the reply somebody gave was basically that, “if you still care about Warcraft III, that’s your problem and that’s on you.”

In frustration, I sat down with a computer and created a parody mobile port of the Warcraft III experience on my phone using an open source public game engine. And I think when I found myself training my units and fighting some computer opponent on my phone on my way to the bathroom, it finally hit me. Going mobile with these franchises is not even really what’s happening. A mobile version of these games would be really cool. I could have a phone app of Galaxy Editor or of World Editor and make missions on my phone. There is a ton of room for innovation.

But Diablo Immortal and Arclight Rumble are not mobile versions of the Blizzard technology. They are the graphics or characters of these technology products, ripped out and exploited “in the way accepted as mobile.”

When we talk about market analyses, isn’t the conclusion here that “no more Starcraft 2” and “no more Warcraft 3” isn’t about mobile but rather about exploitation? Basically, that it is always going to be more profitable to get the 1% to spend money on a mind game than to get 100% of the users to spend money on what the year 2000 users would have referred to as “a legitimate product,” because the situation in global society today is that the top 1% are becoming more economically meaningful than the other 99%?

This seems really bad and sad to me, but I am just a Warcraft III fan who stepped outside of his echo chamber to visit Starcraft II forums because I figured Starcraft II is another great game that is probably going to face a similar fate.

It’s likely they were purely internal.

It’s not the user base unfortunately. It’s revenue that drives those kind of decisions.

Just look at baldurs gate 3. People crave for a company where the only metric isnt ‘profit’.

Ip’s are sold because of nostalgic feelings to make a profit off of, it doesnt matter how bad it is. Aslong as you have some recognisable names people will shill. (look at diablo immortal for refference)

The only thing you can do is vote with your wallet, spread awareness about the selling out these companies do and hope people also drop the studios.

The only metric these guys understand is profit. So whats the one thing that makes these companies change? Lack thereof.

There is no other solution then to forget about the IP’s and the studios names.

You should hold anyone and everyone still working at blizzard responsible for this mess.

Because they are actively working together destroying the games we held so dearly. Every single one of them.

1 Like

i would rather trust tomorrow my dad would tell me that he has 1 billion dollars lol

If SC3 ever happens it will be a desperation move by ActBlizz to jump on the bandwagon of other RTS games coming out. They will simply use the IP to abuse hype and reputation to sell the game, just as they did Diablo 4.

IMO - if SC3 ends up “existing” they should hire a E-Sports Team and build it around that. Forget about the single player story all together and just make a solid E-Sport RTS in the SC2 universe.

I’ll never understand why ActBlizz get their games so wrong all the time. They could simply take the older games and “remake” them with the same systems and improve upon them to make better games, but they keep throwing in “new systems” and confusing junk to keep players hooked, rather then entertained.

WoW is a perfect example… I’ve never seen a game try to change so much that is defeats the whole purpose of playing at all. One minute your favorite specs can be dog doodoo one day and op the next. It’s absurd.

FF14-Online does well with just expanding the story and sprinkling in some minor changes, but they don’t rehaul the game with every patch/dlc or w/e.

It’s funny how one guy made a joke on the internet about SC3 and all of a sudden the entire community freaked out. C’mon guys, there will be no new SC. If one was on the way you would’ve been informed about long time ago.

There will be SC3, it just wont be a RTS. It will be an Overwatch-like Battle Arena with Nova, Raynor etc. and many Skins to buy

Such ungreatfull future for a such cool game yet overwatch fail

Why couldn’t Alarak gain greater power to control the zerg and Protoss? Can’t Zagara create war with zerg factions. The Terran have UED that can come back.

1 Like

the people that develop games anywhere are nerds like you and I and are dedicated to the game they’ve chosen to work on. the things we like about SC can and should be preserved in the third edition of the game…

sc2 had massive improvements on unit control over bw, graphics. as a result balance is different. u guys can blame developers for balance all you want but the balance outcomes we see in 2024 are a result of overarching gameplay design as opposed to unit numbers etc. smart casting in BW and the unit AI woudl cause the same thing in the original game, but the balance would be even worse. SC2 is really well balanced despite its frustrating elements. if they make a sc3, I will buy it +

3 Likes

If SC3 ever comes out, i would wait a while before even considering buying it. With a lot of SC2’s team gone, a lot of AB’s talent already gone, and AB’s recent history with their releases, i can see SC3 being a disappointment. It would be a dark day when the game would require battlepasses and crap just to be somewhat fun

1 Like

Or just move on to newer titles , SC isn’t everything

Dont worry about what sc3 is going to be about folks. cause it aint happening. Stop thinking it is. your all delusional and need to get your heads out you rear. we aint getting sc3.

1 Like

Well if look at it Microsoft brought back aoe 1, 2and remade 2 for console and made 4.

Made decent profit and has growing base what Microsoft doesn’t have sci-fi rts until it purchased blizzard.

Story is easy Zerg is main enemy Kerrigan as after growing more Zerg it started remove her love and peace and only replaced it desire to consume.

Terran and Protoss is split on the Zerg reaction Terran want save while Protoss is being aggressive against Zerg, Terran fights Protoss to back off but it ruined their peace treaty .

Hell you can have online campaign style that helldivers doing

1 Like

just because microsoft bought ab doesnt mean there the SC2 savior. All this was, was a company buy out to remove competition, not to start making new games for ab. There gonna suck what little money they can get out of cod,diablo, overwatch, and wow and thats it. I bet this company never makes a new game from here on out, untill ab is no longer.

SC1 the big bad was the Zerg\Overmind.

SC2 the big bad was the Protoss themed Amon.

SC2 the big bad should be the UED.

It was, but then Nova Covert Ops ended with Nova going AWOL, which sets her up nicely to be the human protagonist next game now that Jimothy is out of the picture.