Smurfs: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly - Q&A

Has someone repeated the statistical analysis done lately? From a few random sessions (D3 EU) it appears well over 50%, on a bad day/time more like 90% of the 1v1 player base are some kind of freelooser/smurf.

I suppose I have mostly myself to blame for not having taken the time to start the game earlier (formed a family during the start and peak of SC2), and for not being clever enough to find the correct mistakes to learn from among the responses to troll builds and even just crisp timings and strong micro, but it would strongly improve my motivation if my wins were not only freelosses and the occasional failed troll attempts.

In regular human endeavour, an opportunist fraction of 5-10% is to be expected, so already the 20% seen by @Trias is high.

3 Likes

Hello! No issue here but Definatly some Great Advice for the Development Team.

You guys should add a little area on the left or right side of the current 24 unit page on the bottom center (when you have units selected) That allows you to click a square of what looks like just 1 unit but in reality selects ALL UNITS of that Type Example, A Marine square will select all Marines!

This next part is also a good idea
Select All Military Units ON SCREEN Button. This way you donā€™t pull unitā€™s off screen that are supposed to stay where they are
And Finally, there should be a hotkey that removes 1 unit from the front of the line off the list. this will help with quicker discernment of units. If you donā€™t understand. Check my replays and when I play Zerg, How I Split the Overloards by clicking the bottom middle and removing 1 overloard from the group (wile holding shift of course) and then sending all units to new location. Or splitting marines much more efficently agains Banelings

Hi DNil, welcome around.

IRL takes priority of course, so if by succeeding at life, you got a bit less in shape at an e-sports game, this is no big deal. Now, of course we are the main responsible for our mistakes, and so learning from them is a way to keep going up, however slow the process might be.

It can be frustrating though not to be rewarded from a good tactical choice just because you were matched against an opponent whose mechanics are several league tiers ahead from you. Or irritating to have the same clown freelose you twice in a row just because heā€™s trying to play mechanically inferior players. Or to get trolled too often.

Yet, here we are. This game is based upon challenge, and due to smurfs it gets more challenging for low to intermediate level players. Thatā€™s how it is, the sooner one accepts it the better. :slight_smile:

Well the figures are what the figures are. Specially those collected via the API (which are free from my habitsā€™ influence) . The issue there, is that having one player over five smurf is a thing, but in some leagues, this ratio rose even more (one over three in gold, and it was even worse in bronze 3). It gave an idea of how cancerous it could be to have to climb the ladder up at those levels.

AFAIK, not only it hasnā€™t been repeated, but it also had never been done before. Which isnā€™t surprising, because why it was a quite interesting statistic exercise applied to gaming, it was extremely time consuming the way i performed it (manually collecting and checking all data). As for why I didnā€™t screen the ladder once again, itā€™s because it was done with two objectives :

• Provide players with some objective data over the subjective idea they had.
  • Provide the devs with accurate data so that they could realize what was happening, and take action if they had the will and/or means to do so.

And so it happens that while the devs listened to my views quite a lot of times regarding balance (including some ideas I was the original author of)ā€¦ they never did so regarding smurfing countermeasures. And that while they had been provided with simple to implement, low cost, and efficient ways to deal with it.

So my conclusion was that either

• they had a philosophy to let the users deal with the toxicity that was within the boundaries of the current code of conduct (and smurfing is) ;
  • or that they didnā€™t have the means to act anymore (and some time after, the devs teams was disbanded and the game was placed into legacy mode).

TL;DR ā€” In other words this survey was time consuming, and I got solid hints there was no will/means from the devs to adress the smurfing issue. Thus why I didnā€™t update it after having reviewed all the metal leagues. However, this thread still provides a lot of info about the phenomenon and how to deal with it as a player, so I feel it still has its uses. :slight_smile:

1 Like