Smurfs are Cancer

Smurfing is NOT great for the game. You really can’t argue with it. It may not ruin it, but it sure as hell doesn’t improve it for anyone but the smurfs. I find it so pathetic when streamers do that bronze to gm garbage. I actually find all the sc2 streamers pathetic. Not the pros, just the full time streamers…most of them are…kind of gross, character wise.

thats a lie, masters smurf

smurfs are cancer, they ruin games

masters/ gms smurf too and they think they are better then everyone

There’s no way 30-50% of your games are smurfs at that rank. You lose 50% of your games on ladder, and obviously not all of your games are smurfs, and obviously you aren’t facing smurfs every 3 out of 5 losses.

I think you are exaggerating here, some people are just leveling up a alt and if they didn’t intentionally drop rank I don’t think we should blame them.

Smurfing below M1 level has a few good consequences, and a lot of bad ones. Truth be told, most of those advocating it was beneficial were in fact smurfs trying to view themselves in the mirror.

It is at least questionable to put players with masters mechanics demonstrate things in bronze. Heck, I’ve seen some do bronze to diamond series…

The randomness of the matchmaking can make it momentarily look that way. Evidence hints that the reality of smurfing at this level is closer to 20% than to 30.

As for leveling an alt (which is the very definition of a smurf account), there are people who do that repeatedly, and in a fashion about as toxic than regular freelosers. F2P has made this mode of smurfing more accessible than before.

Yeah but there are less masters than diamonds. So the higher the level, the less freelosing-smurfing at it will be accessible.

Anyway, he’s the second one who says there’s a drop in frequency starting in D1, Nordy being the first. Only way to ascertain that feeling would be to make a randomized study, just like I did for bronze-silver-gold. :mag:

The smurfing at that level gets closer to what it originally was though, with people using smurfs to play anonymously (and failing most of the time, btw, high level players do check at the control groups and builds to see through barcodes) rather than lowering their MMR to get easy wins.

As for becoming pretentious upon reaching M1-GM, we’ve got an example in this forum (who spams his spit about anyone below his level in 50% of his messages). But if you see some streams you’ll see that this is not general. There are players way above this level who are pretty chill guys. :slight_smile:

I think there is a difference between bannable smurfing and smurfing. If you level up a alt I don’t think you can ban that, but if you intentionally drop rank and play on ur main than it should be punished.

I mean, are you gonna ban every single alt in the game? You can’t tell the people who are intentionally making a alt for fun and the people who just want a second account.

First, I’d like to highlight that smurfing isn’t liable to ban, and IMO shouldn’t be.

Second, there is nothing bad in having an alternate/smurf account in itself. It’s the use you’ll make from it that make it a bad or a good thing.

• Freelosers (with repeated/large amounts of freelose) evidently are bad for the matchmaking, as they maintain themselves deliberately under their level.
  • Non freelosing smurfs could be divided into 4 categories :
    • The walk in the park adepts, who won’t freelose aside of the first placement games, and will then grind the ladder from the bottom to the top. There are users who do that repeatedly.
    • The look I’m bronze type, who will deliberately stop at each season before the exit of the provisional MMR state, and then switch to unranked. The aim being to end up defeating masters with a lower league border.
    • Those starting back after some years, who will then be placed normally but be then carried by mechanics coming back (instead of never acquired).
    • Those simply changing region or wishing to play anonymously, which will get at their real MMR in no time.

Obviously the two last types aren’t problematic, and aren’t doing anything reprehensible. I did never suggest to take measures against them ; but only against freelosers. They are still smurfs though, and so it’s only logical for me to take them in account when surveying their amounts.

You can’t always, but you’d be surprised of how often you can. :roll_eyes:

Yeah I agree on Freelosers being the only problem, I’m even currently doing the 10 days of unranked for an alt because I want to create an anonymous account.

Although I feel like it would be hard if someone lies in between those options.

Wow, i didn’t realize you were M1/GM ! :sweat_smile: Well, you’re at the level where smurfing is indeed mostly done for anonymity purposes. Though attentive replays analysis could unmask that anonymity, specially for progamers. Saw Heromarine do that detective job on one of Lambo’s barcodes accounts, it was quite interesting. :male_detective:

Well as we said, it depends on the intent. That being said, there are about 3 times more freelosing smurfs than non-freelosing ones in metal leagues. So even if a part of the later are doing it with an in-between intent, in proportion they’re not the core of the problem.

That’s why I started by describing the progamers/top of the ladder case at the beginning of my thread (I made one dedicated to smurfing). To highlight there are some legit uses to smurfing, and that a distinction should be made between the different types of smurfs. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Take notes from a trash player really? No one on this forum not even baitz is worth learning from

That’s called a losing attitude! There’s always lessons to learn if you look for them.

As A Smurf myself, I’m sick of running into so many other Smurfs. I even Dropped a League Lower to run into less Skilled Smurfs

every f* game its some f* maphacking and whose a smurf cuz they are s* in real life

Well, both sure don’t behave in an inspirational way. However map-hackers are a really rare occurrence compared to smurfs. I must’ve confirmed about 6 hackers in my whole career.

Problem being I had to play some of them several times.

Well, I’ve been accused of smurfing myself by confirmed smurfs who found themselves unusually struggling against me. I’d never do such a thing of course, but the interesting thing is that they seemed quite upset about it. :sweat_smile:

there are production view hacks ive played since brood war

have many games of proof had one guy i dont even think know i was making hydra roach and get a lurker den around 10 min and 10 sec later gets observer. happens all the time and smurf city in this game blizzard dont give af bout

thank you for your efforts to knock down smurfing some this past year has been horrendous

There are hacks indeed, but it’s not easy to say if the player reacted to an information he shouldn’t have, or just deduced it/had the feeling he should be ready for some tech/timing.

Those I found often didn’t scout, and then completely changed course blindly, whether in production tab but also to hidden moves on the minimap. I’ve seen one not scout, then double bunker full wall blindly, then unload his bunkers to move his marines towards reapers he couldn’t see).

You must’ve found my topic I guess. You’re welcome.
But if you wanna help, leave your feedback (a comment, a like, and idea or whatever) directly into the thread. The more visible it becomes, the more chances it’ll have to get to the players’ or even the devs’ eyes. :wink:

i would be happy to show you two replays and ask for ur opinion

Sure. The only thing is that the code of conduct specifies that we should not specifically target an individual, so if your suspecting hacking, you can’t just post the link as is.

There are several solutions though. You could post the first half of each link to your replays :
https://drop.sc/replay/168

Then I retrieve them (will say when I’m done), you erase them, and replace them with the second half :
56260 (this one doesn’t links to anything, it’s just an example).

Those second halves will be unusable for anyone not having the first half (which you’ll have erased) to you shouldn’t be accused of individually targeting someone. :mag: