Smurfing ruins the game

Okay, thx for the precision.

I still think what I wrote above can apply though. Everyone’s playing mindset and conditions aren’t the same. :slight_smile:

Nah 23,000 games is quite a bit of time. 300+ ladder games a season means you got time to play the game. It means for some reason you are completely content with never getting better and staying stagnant doesn’t bother you in the least. That or you are trying but just can’t do it.

Also idk what time of the day you playing but smurfin happens all day

Or also that you’re not trying the right way. You’re probably right about the time investment.

Some people could also not care about 1v1, but rather multiplayer versus, or coop.

It can happen all day, but not at the same frequency. Past 23:00 there will be less casuals, and more hardcore addicts. Smurfs tend to be from higher leagues than those they do smurf in, so they are more addicts than casuals. And so while they’re roughly 10-20% during a saturday afternoon, if I do play at let’s say midnight I can end up playing more than 60% (sometimes only smurfs if my session is short). And the fun fact is that that means that it’s not infrequent for them to play each other, resulting in a failure of the matchmaking expected behavior, and a rather unexpected failure of the smurfs’ goals.

To give you an idea, I did play 2 confirmed (+ 1 uncertain) smurfs in a row late at night one week ago. The next game, after glhf, I mention to my opponent that I hope he isn’t just another smurf. He answer he hopes the same, cheeses me one base, but then just 'cause I microed a little bit (saved an SCV constructing a building, making his zealot turn around the bunker, and then offensive kiting with the marines as he tries to get away from the bunker), he says to me that I’m just another smurf, ragequits, blocks communications. That suggests he had also played a lot of people he considered smurfs.

Though I clearly dislike smurfs, I deal with it, and do check for freeloses to confirm whether I can or can’t say for sure if they were indeed smurfs. Then most of the time I do just reference them (hence all that data that I have about the topic), but do not even message them afterwards.
But that made me realize there are players who don’t even confirm their suspicions, and that are just are going nuts because of them. :confused:

If only the best in the game plays this, he would have no one to play with. Platinum is just a percentage of the players, you could go down to platinum if the ladder became very elite. Seriously, what about that mindset that you can’t enjoy something unless you’re the best? It is totally irrational

That’s why the matchmaking is there in the first place, to ensure you’re matched with opponents that are significantly challenging, but that also are reasonably challenged by you. SC2 being a sometimes frustrating game, that system keeps frustration and satisfaction balanced to keep you motivated to improve.

But some people just can’t handle frustration anymore. And so they make sure they do freelose enough for it to almost never happen if they’ve invested themselves into a game.

And that leads to this :
_https://i.postimg.cc/fLpzqmTS/2020-03-22-Smurf-ratio.jpg

Of 'course, there are also some who take their pleasure in trolling lesser players (cf. JustMonika multiples accounts). But that’s rather another kind of issue entirely.

I think knowing more about smurfs could help the players they prey upon to deal with it. I may do a thread, more structured, with easier to find information about this. :thinking:

Is this true? this is dumb! wait what?

Nothing has been decided officially. AFAIK the developers have never communicated about smurfing. The closest event to it was them going back on the project of the ingame tags being fused into a single battletag, due to the use progamers have for this possibility.

At the moment, we are left on our own to manage the other uses, that lesser players more commonly do with it.

1 Like