Scythe of Amon..Why?

Yes, I wanted to avoid saying something along the lines of l2p, but it ultimately leads there.

The timing for the 1st bonus is arguably not as forgiving compared to other missions, but is very much doable without compromising the main objectives.

The cheese part isn’t the map’s design flaw. That’s commander power creep and synergy causing unintended interaction.

As for the RNG, that’s exactly why it’s good.

It’s funny cuz it’s my absolute fave map followed by MW. It’s a challenging map but very rewarding when you learn it.

Unless my ally screw something we always get 3 bonus and our bases intact.

I love rushing expo and leaving bottom left shard as the last one, makes the match so much easier.

Nova was released before SoA. Nova could very very easily lib cheese the map from day 1. Same with Abathur, same with Artanis, same with Raynor…

I’m not saying it isn’t doable. I’m saying the bonus is in direct conflict with the main objective. I wanted to avoid saying something along the lines of l2read. I mean the pathing of the third segment in particular is just atrocious considering by that point you have cleared so much area for the prism to fly in

A picuture is worth a thousand words they say, so down below I dropped a link to a photo of the Sythe of Amon map with a route I drew on top of it in which to clear the map if you want the bonus:

h ttps://ibb.co/Rgc4NQc

just remove the space after the ‘h’

note: this isnt the only way to do it, but I definitely consider it to be the most efficient. If you are feeling really confident though you can try to clear the bottom left shard before clearing the top middle, otherwise I would save it for last.

4 Likes

Yeah this map is quite dependant upon what route you take through it. I will go expansion, east shard, southwest, north, northwest with quick action you can get the bonuses at the same time while being not too far from attackwaves.

Do make sure to know what death grip crystals are.

Bonus exp is really not worth it if you are not confident in clearing the map to begin with, even being confident on the map now I do not care to do this one unless ally makes moves towards it. This bonus is not exactly the hardest bonus to do though, just very time limited. I feel like the hardest bonus is actually malwarfare because paying for all 3 of the first bonus can really gimp you a lot.

1 Like

Yea, this is exactly what I, and most others have been talking about. Every bonus objective are meant to be done between downtime of doing the main objective, and this map isn’t any more or less compared to most maps. There are few more convenient due to map size, but conceptually this one isn’t any different.

Guess not having the map planned out for you by the devs cause trouble for some people though.

nice retaliation, except I read your point perfectly, provided my counter argument in the first post I made that you conveniently disregarded.

There are more convenient maps like Void Thrashing and LnL and there are less convenient and arguably ones that are “more in conflict” like OE, MO, VM, or ME.

Maybe plan your route and/or macro better and the gameplay will be more fluid to you.

I’m inclined to say that Scythe has the biggest disparity between good and bad teams. Good teams can clear this very effectively while bad teams can fall on their face really hard.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a rough map. You do have to take your expansion very late. That’s just how it is. Some maps are just more difficult than others. I think it’s possible to get all the bonuses and objectives with all the commanders. Just keep gettin stronger.

This map is kind of easy for me and I am not even that good at Coop. Not sure why other are having a problem with it though.

Recently I had an ally playing Abby P1, leveling like me. We couldn’t get to 2/3 bonus, so he said “the bonus is impossible right?” To which I replied, “not really, just the way we are it’s not possible.”

This is typical of SoA if you don’t plan well (or if you ally just really lack behind). To give some context:

• As Alarak P2, I destroyed both small bases between main and exp.
  • Solo’d Expansion Sliver to secure a fast exp for both of us.
  • Half killed main sliver as ally rolled in with 3 Swarm Hosts, 2 of which died to the circle of death.
  • Losing bonus one while defending his expansion.

I’m sure at this point you know generally the idea here. My ally in this case just isn’t going about it properly. We still won but here’s some things:

1. Don’t open with Swarm Host on SoA, you’ll put yourself behind for sure.
  2. If you are then you gotta macro properly (in this case, there was delay both on initial expansion despite cleared AND not defending it properly with nests and losing expansion while I come back slowly…)
  3. Rotation and understanding. It was clear he didn’t quite understand how the rotations worked. After we cleared 4th (top left sliver), he proceeded to siege the base defending it east of it, in order to get to the North sliver. Don’t kill things, with slow sieging units (that he didn’t have many of to begin with) to push areas unnecessarily, especially on a map with tight timings.

That’s a long explanation just to say “Git gud, L2p.”

With different attitude.

It’s easy to say git gud but that’s why I made a lengthier but as concise as I could post.

1 Like

Basically
2000 vs 2020
You are 2020. Not saying it is bad, I am saying that it is funny.

1 Like

i usually manage to complete it but, i struggle with the bonus objective.

Try turning down the difficulty and playing it on Hard until you get a better understanding of how the map works and how to play it better.

Scythe of Amon is more difficult sure but not by much. The map isn’t IMPOSSIBLE, I cleared with a level 3 Kerrigan just this week on Brutal. The only trick to it is knowing how to save big CDs for the last two Void Slivers as well as at least one ally making sure to defend the bottom base whenever an attack wave rolls in.

There are maps and characters I hate to play, but every now and then, it’s fun to do them as challenges, “expand your horizons”. Especially certain combos like:
–Kerrigan vs. sky force comps
–Zagara on DoN
turns out, she’s quite good, but she has to finish the mission before day 4. I guess she can wall off with Evo Chambers, Crawlers, and Bile Launchers if she needed to improvise defense
–Karax on SoA
This was before Prestige, but after we lost his unit discount mastery. He actually works out fairly well. Don’t bother with tower upgrades. Make some for defense if need be, but going “all-in” on units and SoA upgrades, he pushes relatively quickly

For extra credit, getting the bonus obj. is truly nice. Every now and then, i get partners who could’ve solo-ed the map, or are so good that they do 70% effort. Doing with them is much more doable. With allies who weren’t as good, we’ve failed bonus obj. but the time we did get them felt quite satisfying

I think this is hard because people stress too much about getting the bonus.

Unless you are a co-op lord both you and your ally kind of need to be in sync to a degree, and both understand the map.

It’s really satisfying when you and your ally are just on the same, you can get the bonus and complete the main fairly easily.

1 Like