SC2 Crashing on MacOS Catalina with Radeon Graphics

So, 10.15.4 has been released today. Does the new release of MacOS fix the issue?

Hi All,
Before 10.15.4 - Could play 1-2 games before hard freeze
After 10.15.4 - I’ve played 5+ without a single issue.
So thats a tentative ‘yes’, it seems it may be fixed.

Thank you for the continued reports all! Sorry for the delay, I was away during the time the 10.15.4 release was pushed. It seems that it’s much more stable on 10.15.4. Thank you for your report, ARVENDUI!

For those experiencing the issue, please check that you are on 10.15.4, if not, please update to grab the latest graphics drivers.

As a reminder, for anyone who used the OpenGL workaround, please switch back to the Metal Render API to ensure optimum performance on the latest catalina update :slight_smile:

Please let us know if the latest update seems to have helped with the issue! We are tracking your reports and they are greatly appreciated!

it freezes during game since i got 10.15.4

Thank you for the update, noviceofgeni! We’re still gathering information if anyone else is experiencing the issue. We’ve seen mixed reports so far, so any additional reports with the 10.15.4 update is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Stuck on ‘Entering Lobby’

So far so good. No crashes. AMD Vega 48 (8GB).

Thank you

The Mac OS just got an update. Has it fixed issues for anyone else? I’ve only tried playing for about 5-10 minutes, but before the update it would have crashed by now.

After the new Mac OS update it’s working fine. No problems so far.

Thank you for the updates! Please let us know if the issue comes up again. We’re still seeing some issues with graphical or performance (such as freezing) issues, but the crashing issue seems to be overall resolved with the 10.15.4 build.

@noviceofgeni, could you create a new thread or contact us directly to look into this issue further?

Just giving an update. I had a crash recently, just one (during Zerg Campaign). But I played many hours before, and I continued playing after with no more crashes. As mentioned, there are some sloppy graphics sometimes and some freezes. But overall the experience is OK.

Had a crash during a co-op mission (Chain of Ascension). Roughly 20min into the game. Didn’t cause a kernel panic, but crashed as a ‘Fatal Error’.
AMD Vega 48 (8 GB)

Changing the computer name fixed it for me! Its in system preferences -> sharing

Crashes are still occurring in co-op. Roughly after 3 games or so. No kernel crashes, but ‘Quit Unexpectedly’

Chain of Ascension seems to be the worst map for crashes for some reason.

I’m back to OpenGL until this is fixed.

Yeah guys this fixed my issue. Check if you have any space in the name. Mine was MacBook Pro. So I changed it to MacBookPro and the game runs smooth!

Unfortunately, name change didn’t help with the crash I’m having. To begin with, the computer name in Sharing preferences was already one word with no special symbols. And I did try changing it to something else just to see if it has any effect. Alas, the crash is still happening (Vega 48, 8GB).

The name change issue was a different problem after a patch a few months back. It’s not relevant to the Catalina Radeon crashes here.

I’m still keeping track of the reports here and our teams continuing to look into this issue. I’ll provide updates when possible, but I cannot thank you all enough for your cooperation, patience, and understanding on this matter!

1 Like

MacOS 10.15.5 is out. Does it fix the issue?

I just purchased the 2020 MacBook Pro with integrated graphics and I have the latest OS (MacOS 10.15.15) and I cannot play SCII. It just crashes immediately. My Blizzard app is up to date as well.

I haven’t heard that 10.15.5 should resolve the crashes. The kernel crashes should be fixed after 10.15.4 though. With the driver update though, it’s worth a try to see if it may reduce or help with the crashes.

@Savio, the immediate crashes are likely not related to this issue, could you try the suggestions on this post?