Raynor needs a buff

As i have already said, Raynor is as weak as the player that plays him. People that play him well can put more input into him and get even more from him.

The only Commanders i see as truly outclass Raynor is either a well-played Aba, Dehaka.

He ties with Alarak and Kerrigan in Power ceiling as in his maximum capacity equal that of Kerrigan and Alarak’s army.

And generally i have 42 APM and still play better than most Abathur by being able to push even earlier and deeper into enemies base than him.

Abathur is much slower to get his Omnipotent army but it is undeniable that his army is stronger at 200/200 supply.

The same mentality of a race/faction need buffed is also being applied to ladder SC2 now. When the low-skill players who experience difficulty to claim the rank, demanding for buff which exactly what the Terran whiners are doing.

That’s the point though. He’s risk-free compared to other COs and has nearly no weaknesses. It becomes pretty clear if you place two equally skilled players together; the Zeratul player will either clear the map first, or just be slightly behind the other player unless their artifact timings have been completely off.

Just to clarify though, I’m not in favour of a buff to Raynor since he’s been in a good position ever since his T1 mastery changes. I was making a point that comparing Raynor to Zeratul is silly since he eclipses all the other COs too in almost every aspect.

1 Like

The intent was to highlight that differences are good. In order to make Raynor easier to play you’d have to lose part of what makes him different, and that’s a terrible idea. Can you honestly say Raynor can be made similar easy to play for newer players while still remaining unique like he is now? It seems to come up rather regularly on the forums that people want every commander to match their desires or style of play.

There are certain commanders I like much less than others, but I’m not asking for them to be changed for me, since I can see that others really like them how they are.

1 Like

Yes, I know what you mean there. So if I play Raynor I view it as a personal challenge to outplay my ally. When I play Dehaka it’s so easy to wreck everything, which is fun, but sometimes I want more of a challenge/change without necessarily doing mutations.

You don’t need much skill to make 4 orbitals, lots of barracks and then a-move with marines+medics (and build bunker and tank at home to defend). And that will get you quite far (not far enough to solo brutations, but that’s not what this topic is about, if I understand it correctly)

Btw. CC reactor was imo useless in campaign (if I could chose between that and automated refinery, I would always choose the latter, as I did in the campaign - if nothing else, it frees you 12 supply)

And that’s exactly how you lose the entire MMM army to toss templar or colo + reaver

1 Like

And you rebuild it instantly. That’s why 4 orbitals and lots of barracks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Or you can prevent it by massing banshee against that composition.

I often misuse assimilation aura and game goes smooth anyways. The thing for the win is my default 6 nydus worms, less on some maps and scenarios, but 6 is pretty standard number for me to get total map presence and spread creep and give transition points for ally, Raynor on the other hand can fell pretty restricted with only 2 OC. I’d compare that with swann’s gas drones.

You rebuild them but the dead marines are still dead. Raynor can be played with minimizing casualties, basically its more efficient resource-wise. When i play raynor and try bio another time i just meet the reality that im purposedly going for suciding my army for sake of… i really dont know what. Waste more time for building alot of CC and rax for just getting more dead units, not cool really. Raynor has vultures tanks viking and banshee that work well with some fraction of marine+medic. The same goes for nova, these “oh its unit is organic units so i build only organic army” guys are becoming restless. Getting your guys dead is not “terranish” for me, but it’s just my opinion.

Or, even better, spider mines!

True, but almost whichever army you build, or enemy you face, you’re going to need 3+OC and 4 is a common default. You can finish much quicker/better with decent micro and countering, but with good macro you can F2A.

1 Like

AFAIK, it seems most of the community is aware that not all COs will be “Zeratul easy” or “Tychus easy”. It seems to be the vocal minority that’s the cause?

And enough people seem to realize that if a CO doesn’t fit their playstyle, they’ll either avoid them, or acknowledge that and try to do better (e.g. for me, I cringe when I get stuck with Mengsk on Random CO).

Where is LilArrin?)
I’m sure he could tell you a lot about how weak Raynor is.

1 Like

I’ve always been curious about that. I’ve seen his video’s and he is undoubtedly good. However, I wonder if those videos are the best of multiple attempts or fishing for the perfect enemy comp.

1 Like

I’m almost certain @AuReaper meant that tongue-in-cheek. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It’s just something I’ve wondered for a while now. Decided to take the opportunity to see if LilArrin would comment.

Ahhh. Ok. :slight_smile:

Both, really. Gotta get the right comp, then not mess up the strategy, and hope some (minor) RNG stuff doesn’t troll the run.

1 Like

I’m not sure what else that needs to be done with Raynor. I wasn’t in Coop then, but was aware that he did get buffs a long time ago, like Stim Pack is now included by default (no need to research it), and it now uses up less life (-5% of your max health to your current hp, vs. -10%.)

Short answer: Nothing.

Long answer: Thousands of posts on this and the old forum where people who know Raynor inside-and-out have discussed.

Unfortunately there are a few who want him changed rather than learning to play him. So these sorts of posts will keep coming up.

3 Likes

TBF, I was trying to make my question sound rhetorical. It’s possible Raynor may get updates, but I wouldn’t bet money on that any time soon. It’d have to be some more extreme environmental factors.

1 Like