Proposed Changes for All Commanders

We’ve had a bit of time since the last update of the year. After playing a multitude of games, a few of us veteran players have put our heads together to come up with a list of possible changes for each commander. We would like to get some feedback from the larger community on your thoughts about what we have proposed. Additionally, we would like to know what changes you would like to have implemented.

Here is the link to the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SPkp3z_zTWzpzvHnNhr7Yn6KlXMcD7gF_wFgtAyKJpc/edit?usp=sharing

Please share any new ideas you have, as we will make updates to this document when we see new ideas we like. We are attempting to represent all of the best revamp ideas in one place, but we recognize that while some changes have broad consensus, others are more matters of preference.

10 Likes

Kerrigan herself needs some big buff. We want Queen b@tch of Universe. Dehaka just overshadows her too.

• Transfusion on Coccoons revive Kerrigan Quickly.
  • Creep increase Queen Energy regeneration, Autocasts are enabled.
  • Omega Worms now shows Kerrigan foremost.
  • Kerrigan is significantly improved . We want to emphasize Kerrigan is the Queen B@tch of the Universe as well as in Co-op.
    . Chain Reaction is improved (25% damage and triggers fury)
    . Psionic Shift decreases damage taken by 75% (Kerrigan dies too quickly when used against more powerful enemy)
    . Leap does not decrease range
    . Mastery 3.2 Improved to 45% from 30%
    . Kerrigan’s unit upgrade improves Kerrigan.
  1. Ground Attack improves Kerrigan’s Carapace drain +5% (Max Drain 30% -> 45% per attack)
  2. Ranged Attack improves Kerrigan’s attack by +5
  3. Carapace improves Kerrigan’s Armour by +1
  4. Air Attack improves Kerrigan’s Energy regeneration by +5
  5. Air Carapace improves Kerrigan’s Carapace Armour by +1

Interesting thoughts of this. Some things that really stood out to me:

• Roach Ravager wasn’t that good? For me they’ve always been my go-to (mostly since Abathur’s air is too expensive for me.) I’ve never had any major issues outside of Disruptors.
  • No Global 1QE2C. This makes me sad. But an increase to radius is very helpful.
  • How would manual control over the Overcharge be implemented, especially on the War Prism?
  • I’d rather see the Vanguards get a projectile speed and number of rays boost over raw attack speed. Alarak already has a Combat Unit Attack Speed mastery.
  • Yes, PLEASE buff the Galleons. They’re so fragile…
  • I’ve been asking for the Stetellite Cooldown Mastery to be changed to Stetzone Radius for a good while now. It should hopefully help curb some of the Stetlagg.
  • I would also like to add in the option of disabling the visuals for the Stetellite fields, except when deploying Stetellites (As it works for Pylons when trying to warp in.)
  • One change I’d like to see for Mengsk is the total removal of the Terrible Damage Mastery. It does basically next to nothing, and is 100% worthless. It changes Contaminated Strike DPS from 5 to 7, gives your Zerg a teeeeeeny tiny bit more damage, and adds on a chunk of damage to Nuclear Annihilation. It only affects the latter most ability, and should be swapped into something else.
  • Please buff the radius of the Bulwark Field. It’s so tiny…
  • Burning Tactical Nukes would be very welcome, as they cannot one-shot a simple Photon Cannon now. Having burning ground would help alleviate that problem, and cause a “no entry” zone to ground units.
  • I’d love for the Intercessors to be able to boost around with Shock Divisions inside of them. Made no sense for it to lose every ability when they picked them up…

Aba ground army build is horrible. Try learning some of the more advanced Aba gameplay described in the TL guide if you want to experience the commander’s actual power level.

The two changes I want:

Make Probius an actual AI champion that tranafers from probe to probe when killed, even if he is otherwise identical to how he is now.

Stop over pricing Karax units. Just price them how they should be if they were any other commander, and give him a new mastery.

2 Likes

Personally, I’ve been just fine with Roach/Ravager, sometimes backed up by Vipers. I know Abathur is the strongest, if not second strongest, commander in the game. I just do not enjoy playing Sky Abathur because of how expensive it is.

I’d like to add some of my own thoughts:

PLEASE, as a QOL change, make the galleons fire when they are decelerating or maybe even while moving.

I never did like percentage based events. Perhaps just change the Evasion chance on sky furies and zergling evasion to be damage reduction?

Also, if nikara were to be given an actual attack, as some have suggested, I’d imagine it’d make more sense for it to act like a reverse version of the medibeam.

I love the proposal changes for Stukov. They could really fix his problems and make him great once again. One thing though that I would add to the list is a change to his first mastery set with the two following choices:

• Mech cost reduction - Can go up to 30% (1% per point)

• Additional civilians (spawn from the compound)- Can go up to 30. (1 per point)

I feel like right now, his mastery set 1 doesn’t favor any kind of build and I would like it if it focus more on helping a more specific composition (Mech vs Bio). They should set a fix number for the volatile spawn chance (10%) and a fix number for his infest structure (75 second cooldown). Volatile could be unlock at level 7 (infested infantry upgrade cache).

I just though about that, but how about making the slim trail of the diamondback able to heal friendly ground units.

• Diamondback slim trail can now heal friendly ground units 5 hit points per second when they are inside the cloud.

With the healing affect, it would give a better purpose to get the upgrade and would help the later part of the mission.

Finally, I know it’s a bit unrealistic, but I would LOVE to see aberration for Stukov. I don’t get why they didn’t add them to him. It’s like not adding ravasaur to Dehaka, or the Hyperion to Raynor. Aberrations have always been an icon to the Zerg infestation. They can walk over small units, such as infested civilians, which wouldn’t make them useless or too much. Here’s how I think they should function:

• Aberrations spawn 2 infested civilians when they die, along side with a blinding cloud. The blinding cloud function the same as the Viper.

• Aberration could be built inside the barrack.
    -Cost: 200 minerals/ 75 gas/ 3 supply
    -Build time : 10 seconds
    -Upgrades: infested Ebay upgrades.
    -Requirement to build: infested Tech lab and infested Ebay
    -No time limit or a limit of 720 seconds (Since they are expensive, I think it’s fair to give them no time limit.)
    -Movement speed : 2.00 (+0.88 creep bonus) (2.95 for Zagara without the creep bonus)
    -Hit points: 450 (275 for Zagara)
    -Base armor: 1
    -Damage: 20 (+20 vs armored)
    -Attack speed: 0.86 (For Zagara it’s 1.2)

What I had in mind for them is a more resistant version then the one from Zagara, that would be a bit slower in their movement speed, but they would have a faster attack speed.

I would love for 2020 to see the biggest Co-op change with your list being taken in consideration. Blizzard has made some good changes, but I feel like each commander still got something that could be change, especially Stukov who feels clunky.

But it’s cheaper for what it does than ground army.

I have my own Balance Patch proposal going - currently half-finished because I’m working on a bigger update for Karax and Stukov. I run it by a few of my speedrunner and otherwise capable friends, I am a scrub personally. Of course it only contains Commanders I play and therefore - at least somewhat - know.

My Proposed Balance Patch

Feel free to use ideas or not, we all want the betterment of co-op after all.

Alarak:

• Ive mentioned this in another topic already, but i personally think allowing the warp prism to move while being used for structure overcharge would be a good idea to help players with less experience getting through the early / midgame
  • Right now, Alaraks Wrathwalkers are overshadowed by his Stalkers. Theres next to no reason to invest ressources into a colossi type unit, if a bunch of stalkers can do the same. To fix it, increasing the range of the wrathwalker from 9 to 13. This way, they can stay much further behind Alarak and his army, which increases they survivability more.
  • As it is right now, there is still no reason to build mech over ascendants (in my opinion). Giving the fact that 10/10 Ascendants are among the strongest units in the game, i still feel he lacks options to make his mech units a viable choice.
    Three things come to mind to mitigate that:
  1. a mech gas reduction Mastery to make losing mech units less punishing
  2. extending the knock back effect of his destruction wave to his wrath walkers (similar to Zeratuls immortals)
  3. increasing the HP regen on his mech units
  • some thoughts have been made to increase the potential of Alarak as a hero unit. In comparison to kerrigan and other heroes, alarak lacks a mechanism to either be revived quickly or deal with large groups of high health units quickly. Doing 5 -6 Destruction waves to deal with a bunch of immortals doesnt really make for fun gameplay. Buffing his destruction wave by doubling the damage or adding a stun effect come to mind, along with giving alarak better stats to compete with the other heroes. Last i checked, kerrigan has about 4x as much HP as alarak has, along with higher armour (3 vs. 2).

It’s also a lot slower to get going. 100/100, plus the evolution costs, and upgrade research.

You have your evos to deal with everything up to the point where it gets going. You can use garbage army comps all you want, but don’t be misinformed about how garbage it is.

Changes… Maybe it is because sc2 isn’t my main go-to game but I’m fine with adapting to anything they give me. If anything I’ll play it less and less (Zeratul). Blizzard has really been bugging SC2 lately in each patch and their response times are getting longer and longer. My faith in its future/changes aren’t very high.