My favorite aspect of the campaigns

I mean, there was a military presence, but it wasn’t like the fortifications we see during Kerrigan’s invasion, or the UED attack. Just a couple of bases with a light garrison. Even Valhalla had stronger forts.

3 Likes

I don’t know man, I saw missile towers, automated turrets, pretty decent garrisons, protected ramps, military encampments, etc. Not to mention this is the capital. What’s the response time of the Dominion Forces, couple of hours?

Yeah, and the Raiders got in and out faster than that. They just needed to upload a broadcast, not demolish the city or anything. And the defenses of the UNN studios were paltry. Its not a military target, why would they need stronger fortifications?

3 Likes

While it’s hard to get the in-game to real life time ratio right I find it hard to believe they was able to fly out after that.

Sure, but not to the level of where he was at previously. His life after BW was supposed to be harder. All he had at the end of BW was a beaten and crippled rag tag fleet.

How does it make any sense that none dare challenge him 4 years later? Umoja has trade embargoes imposed on it and has to sneak food to its own people. Mar Sara was taken from Moria and annexed.

They’ve had since the end of the Great War to build up their armies. Moria has armies; we didn’t fight random goons when we raided them in BW.

Umoja’s sole purpose for existence is to not get pushed around by the Confederates. In SC2, they’re getting pushed around by the Dominion.

These are literally the other thirds of the Koprulu populations that came from the supercarriers. They’ve had since the great war to build up their armies and most importantly they’ve tried to stay out of most major conflicts. The Dominion is the one that kept getting thrashed not them.

The state of events at the beginning of WoL is nonsensical.

Same thing in Omega. The bulk of her broods were on the surface of Char and couldn’t help out on the platform.

Kerrigan was there on Char personally and it’s still ultimately their homeworld, which wouldn’t be left undefended. The baneling eggs for example were stored for future use.

Granted, she was toying with them, but piercing the orbital defenses, establishing a beachhead, going back into space to take out a platform and then having enough to still push onto the primary zerg hives is freaking ridiculous.

Here’s a simple thought exercise. Imagine a universe where the Dominion was never defeated in Brood War. That’s the universe that exists in Wings of Liberty. Imagine a universe where the Dominion didn’t suffer a crippling zerg invasion in Wings of Liberty. That’s the universe that exists in HoTS.

Only in LoTV, where by a miracle of God the Dominion still somehow has any ships that can fly, do we finally finally see repercussions via the fact that Augustgrad was almost obliterated by Moebius.

Point is, you’ve got a military sci-fi where military defeats are trivial and kind of irrelevant. It’s hard to invest into or take this universe seriously.

That’s a lame excuse. They had a base (Horner says so himself). They had Thors. Their forces were en masse on the ground and a cinematic shows Dominion wraiths/battlecruisers coming at us.

I can accept that some of their units got in because Matt is a miracle worker and called in some favors. But lasting more than 3 minutes, repelling Warfield’s attacks, and being able to get out without getting shot down is off the wall.

Other than Mengsk’s crippling military defeats. ;p

“Bu he can rebuild” seems to only be an excuse that applies to him, and nobody else for some strange reason.

It’s still the most heavily fortified city in Dominion space.

1 Like

Why? We see them fly out after a full on zerg attack on Mar Sara, in the middle of being attacked by Mutalisks. And they left the Odin.

1 Like

Might be me but Mutalisks seem less dangerous than orbital platforms, Cattlebruisers, Vikings, missile turrets, etc.

The whole thing relied on confusion and misdirection. Besides which, you cant muster the entire planetary garrison to fight one battlecruiser, its just not logistically feasible.

But you can shoot down said cruiser. You’d think it’s easy once they try escaping. Maybe the Dominion’s technology is not too great.

Right. Haven’t looked at it this way before. They should be pretty damn powerful compared to the Dominion.

I mean theoretically, sure, but its not trying to fight, just to leave, and they can jump out in atmosphere. Unless they already have it surrounded when they realize its the Hyperion, they don’t have a lot of room to move on it.

I guess the Spectres would have a field day if they decided to sabotage part of the city.

2 Likes

They did. They got into the Imperial Palace. They came within inches of actually killing Mengsk. But his ghosts finally got into action and repelled the Spectres.

2 Likes

Where’s that story from?

A book. Starcraft: Ghost: Spectres. It has colon cancer, but its a decent book. It explains why Tosh is crazy, where the Spectres came from, and expands on Nova’s character and reasons for being a ghost.

Stop baiting me.

Eh, once you get past that, Rebellion is a decent arc.

Yeah, that one is canon. And it’s pretty much best source for Tosh background.

Aight, thanks for the info!

As far as I know, the Kel-Morians have little interest in taking over the sector at large; they mostly only care about money. Their society primarily revolves around mining, and their military might is mediocre, as demonstrated by the fact that, during Brood War, Kerrigan could waltz right onto the Kel-Morians’ doorstep and steal a large portion of their mineral stockpiles with only a small force of Zerg.

The Umojans are much more advanced in terms of military technology, but they are an isolationist nation with a tiny population and a small territory compared to the Dominion. Subterfuge, science and secrecy are their primary methods to avoid being crushed by the Confederate/Dominion war machine. Umojan Shadowguards (Who are far more well-trained and well-equipped than Ghosts) are infamous for their ability to bring whole operations crashing down, without anyone even knowing the Umojans were involved. But their small population means that they could never hope to control the sector at large.

1 Like

The bait part refers to the usage of the word manual.

What’s your thing with the Starcraft manual?

More like, what’s Trick’s thing. I am just making fun of it. Well, not just me.

Spirit and sometimes Hyperion and Mar as well.

We’re a funny cult.

2 Likes