My favorite aspect of the campaigns

Long before the first mission in the Starcraft campaign, the Protoss had already been glassing planet after planet to erase the Zerg threat. Yet they were still losing the war.

If you kill a billion zerg, they’ll breed a billion more. The only reliable way to stop them is to kill their leaders.

2 Likes

I miss the “it was a raid” excuse for whenever Raynor takes down larger and more powerful opponents in WoL.

It doesn’t stop the zerg from fighting, it just moves them into a different spot. You can kill them from orbit if theyre already on the planet, but anything coming from another planet is going to smack into your fleet first.

1 Like

And exactly how does AoA not kill their leaders? Their control range is limited, isn’t it? They need to be inside the range of the attack, no?

And exactly how fast do they breed? Are we assuming they just ignore logistics and breed however fast the writer wants out of thin air?

Is it really so difficult to build a giant blender and use psi-emitters to lure them through the blades?

Yes, it is, as it turns out. As I said earlier, the zerg don’t just sit there and take fire freely, they still act to preserve themselves, to a point. You cant just force them to all lemming their way off a cliff, for example. Likewise, if you put a giant blender between them and the emitter, they just break the blender to get through.

1 Like

It was established that the Cerebrates could not be killed unless their connection to the Overmind was severed. Even if a Cerebrate’s form was utterly annihilated on the surface, it wouldn’t have mattered much since they can reincarnate.

Potentially. Also, while we don’t know for certain how many, we know from HotS that some Cerebrates did take colony worlds. Cavir, in this case, was a breeding colony for Daggoth during the Brood War. Additionally, it is truly unknown the extent of the Overmind’s Swarm before it forayed into the Koprulu Sector, and even the extent after its death and during the Brood War. Personally, it always seemed the Overmind had a much larger Swarm, considering how much Feral Zerg there are.

3 Likes

The Zerg are infamous for their ability to breed incredibly fast. A single Drone can take over a remote colony in a matter of days, even if the planet has a standing militia.

To put it in perspective, during the Legacy of the Void campaign, Artanis lured 1.5 Billion Zerg onto a planet, then destroyed the entire planet. The Zerg were weakened, but quickly recovered, and were still a major threat throughout the rest of the campaign.

2 Likes

The manual lists the largest broods as having numbers in the low millions at any given time. Daggoth’s brood, the Tiamat Brood (red) for example had 6.5 million. The Garm Brood (orange) meanwhile only had 10,000, which is probably why it was able to be totally wiped out on Char.

And you just proved my point. My point is that the zerg are a blatant plot device that work according to the needs of the plot, not logic or sanity.

And that’s my problem. Starcraft has a garbage story. You keep making excuses for it.

Your problem is that its a work of fiction. That’s all there is to this. Of course it follows the needs of the plot, that’s how stories work. That doesn’t mean its illogical, it just means that it plays out the way the writers want it to play out instead of one of the hundreds of other ways it could have hypothetically gone.

1 Like

How is it illogical? The Zerg are a bioweapon that was designed specifically to overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers, by a race with an unparalleled mastery of genetic engineering. Of course they’d be good at rapidly breeding.

2 Likes

I will have to crack open my copy of the manual again soon, then.

Its rather interesting, because it happens to give Daggoth command of approximately half the Swarm just on his own, which is how much Kerrigan says he controls in Brood War.

It is bad writing.

Yes, but the fact that there is no appreciable limits means they are a lazy plot device

Just declaring it to be bad writing doesn’t make it so. Every story uses plot devices, its just how stories work. You need to actually explain whats bad about it before your argument has any merit.

2 Likes

There wasn’t an appreciable limit to the Dark Portal or Medivh.
There certainly wasn’t an appreciable limit to Tiberium or Chrono Technology.
There hasn’t been a limit (to my knowledge, at least) to Tony Stark’s wealth.

Does that by default make them bad writing? No. Or at least, in some of those cases, not until later installments when it becomes a problem.

5 Likes

I have several times. Like a creationist apologetic, you keep doublethinking your way around my responses to justify the ridiculous plot of Starcraft. You don’t care about what I have to say, so there’s really no point in me trying to argue with you. You will never change your mind about anything.

The entire plot of Starcraft runs on author fiat. A good story is an organic progression of events from an initial premise. The mark of a good writer is that eagle-eyed writers can make a few predictions about what may happen after learning enough, and then one of those predictions is likely to be right.

Starcraft doesn’t work like that. Metzen picked an outcome and forced events to lead to it even if in a rational universe that chain of events would never happen.

No, you have insisted that it is stupid several times. You have been notably silent about what, exactly is bad about it.

1 Like

Indeed?

I just said that the major problem with SC1 is the sloppy plot-driven structure. Events happened because Metzen contrived them to by working backwards, rather than because that chain of events was an organic progression from an initial premise.

Again, that’s not actually a bad thing. That’s how most stories are written. You start with a beginning and an ending, and then fill in the gaps. Stories that go “whoops, I guess the bad guy kills the hero and takes over the world, The End” halfway through the first act do not sell very well, for obvious reasons.

4 Likes