Mission archive for WoL

Is there any hope for a Mission Achieve for WoL where you can freely swap Zerg and Protoss upgrades when you replay the missions?

Right now, we are locked into whatever upgrade we obtained at that point in the first play through, and it’s quite frustrating. No option for trying new combinations without restarting the whole campaign.

6 Likes

Too little hope for that.
Cause WoL is much less linear than HotS and LotV and mechanics for upgrades are quite different.
I would love that Archive for WoL but at current state it is almost impossible to implement and nobody at Blizzard would bother to rework the WoL campaign just for that.

Che is right.

Master archives as we know them in newer campaigns can’t work in WoL because of its extremely free mission order.

You can play Evacuation or Devil’s Playground, which are usually 4th to 6th mission played AFTER playing Maw of the Void. Which means you can have units like Banshees, Battlecruisers, Ghosts/Spectres/Vikings, while having the best Lab upgrades like Tech Reactor, Science Vessel and Cellular Reactor.

So why not just give it to us then?

The game has cheat codes too.

1 Like

Achievements?

Who doesn’t have achievements yet? Besides if they can still get to that point without the master archives, then what’s the difference? You’d just be saving a lot of hassle.

It wouldn’t actually recreate the experience of playing the mission in a normal campaign playthough.

Although I guess if they were really bored, they could create a feature that lets you plan out a WoL playthrough. Lets you tell the game to load a mission having done X, Y and Z missions before hand, spend your credits and researches, etc…

It would be rather complicated and probably not worth the time it would take to make it, but it could theoretically be done.

Neither does a normal master archives though.

Sure it does. The HotS and LoV campaigns are significantly more linear, and LoV in particular doesn’t have nearly as much tech variability. There aren’t any missions where you get “extra” tech at a vastly higher level than you were intended to have access to because of the way they planned the mission order. Having immortals on Temple of the Past isn’t unusual, or sentries on the Korhal missions. Certainly not compared to Battlecruisers on Haven or siege tanks on meinhoff.

1 Like

I was thinking more about the campaign experience itself, like the fact that you miss a lot of interludes/cutscenes and don’t go through the process of upgrading your stuff.

Anyway, the mission archives make every campaign mission easier. Obviously it’s less of a factor in the two expansions because of the more linear mission order, but if the game lets you have battlecruisers on Haven anyway depending on how you play, then I don’t see the point in restricting it. Like, who cares? Master Archives are a great quality of life feature. I haven’t touched WoL in years because it doesn’t have a master archives.

They have a master archives for every other campaign so it’s literally a matter of copy/paste and then some additional programming and UI design.

2 Likes

Its a question of degrees. Like I said, Immortals on Shakuras or hydralisks on Char don’t break the game and were intended to be experienced. Battlecruisers on Haven or Banshees on Meinhoff were not, and change the game significantly more.

1 Like

That’s something that should have been thought of before the campaign was made. But it’s possible and it’s here to stay. No need to punish players by not having a masters archive.

Plus, there’s nothing stopping them from limiting the options in the archives or even patching the campaign itself since you think those tech options shouldn’t even be there.

1 Like

If the point is to let players retry missions under specific conditions without having to replay the campaign over, its an enormously complex task, and just copy-pasting the format of the other master archives wouldn’t achieve that. The wildly varying unit and ability access is a deliberate feature of WoL after all, and taking that away takes away half the point of even having a master archive.

1 Like

I realize that HotS and LotV has a seven arcs structure where the missions can be roughly classified into the following order:

• Intro -> Char/Kaldir -> Zerus -> Stukov/Rescue Raynor -> Finale
  • Intro-> Shakuras/Moebius -> Ulnar -> Taldarim/Purifier -> Finale

Here, Zerus and Ulnar are basically the turning point of the story (Kerri becomes primal queen and Artanis starts to gather more allies). These arcs are also what separate the two halves of the campaign in the sense that you cannot use units/tech unlocked in the 2nd half during the missions of the 1st half.

This way, we can also break the WoL missions into roughly 7 arcs:

• Intro -> Ariel/Tosh missions -> Horner/Artifact missions part 1 (Train Robbery, Cutthroat, Smash & Grab, The Dig) -> Horner/Artifact missions part 2 -> Finale.

Here, The Dig is the turning point of the campaign. It is the point where Raynor meets with Zeratul and gains more knowledge about the artifacts. Thus, it should be the mark halfway mark of the campaign. This way we won’t be able to bring Thor/BC into the fight against Selendis in Safe Haven.

For upgrade, give a certain amount of cash for each mission and let player choose how to buy unit upgrades or mercs that they have available up to that point.

For research, let player choose a certain number of upgrades across both zerg and protoss techs. The amount can be:

• 2-3 upgrades for the first missions of Ariel/Tosh/Tychus/Horner
  • 3-5 for the second missions of Ariel/Tosh
  • 5-7 for the second missions of Tychus/Horner, and the third missions of Ariel/Tosh
  • 6-9 for the third missions of Tychus/Horner
  • all 10 for the remaining

Honestly, something like this would be an awesome feature that can bring a refreshing change into a 9 year old game. However, I don’t know how hard it is to actually implement this.

3 Likes

Screw it, I enjoy playing through the campaign. I will make a WoL master archives for you all. Will take a few days probably.

Will not include Mar Sara missions or Zeratul missions, since upgrades are irrelevant for them.

1 Like

All right, it’s done. Not actually DONE done, but it’s done, you know?
Have all colonist, covert, and char mission saves available for download. Puts you on the Hyperion with maxed out credits/research. All you have to do is pick which upgrades you want. Also includes both ground and air versions of all in, and choice of ghosts or spectres on applicable missions

5 Likes

Is this in the arcade? What should I search for?

1 Like

Ever wanted to play “Zero Hour” with siege tanks? Or “The Evacuation” with hellions? Or play any mission with the units and upgrades you can only purchase or earn afterwards? Well NOW YOU CAN!

Simply follow these steps to use all units and upgrade for any mission. Keep in mind that using any cheat codes will prevent Achievements from being earned until a new campaign is started.

1. Start a new WOL campaign on any difficulty.

2. On the first mission press enter and input the cheat code “LeaveYourSleep” and press enter again.

3. You will be taken to a screen where you can choose which missions you have completed. Select all missions up to Gates of Hell and hit OK. (Preference of Ghost or Haven mission does not matter.)

4. You will be taken to the Hyperion where all the missions you have selected are completed and the next new mission is Gates of Hell.

5. If you want any or all the Armory and Research upgrades, or Mercenaries, use the code “whysoserious” for 5 million credits, and “horadriccube” to unlock all research in the laboratory. Buy whatever upgrades or mercenaries you want.

6. Go to the mission archives and choose a mission and PRESTO! You will now be able to use any unit or upgrade you have unlocked or purchased for any mission!!!

I hope this is helpful,

GLHF!

Ever wanted to play “Zero Hour” with siege tanks? Or “The Evacuation” with hellions? Or play any mission with the units and upgrades you can only purchase or earn afterwards? Well NOW YOU CAN!

Simply follow these steps to use all units and upgrade for any mission. Keep in mind that using any cheat codes will prevent Achievements from being earned until a new campaign is started.

1. Start a new WOL campaign on any difficulty.

2. On the first mission press enter and input the cheat code “LeaveYourSleep” and press enter again.

3. You will be taken to a screen where you can choose which missions you have completed. Select all missions up to Gates of Hell and hit OK. (Preference of Ghost or Haven mission does not matter.)

4. You will be taken to the Hyperion where all the missions you have selected are completed and the next new mission is Gates of Hell.

5. If you want any or all the Armory and Research upgrades, or Mercenaries, use the code “whysoserious” for 5 million credits, and “horadriccube” to unlock all research in the laboratory. Buy whatever upgrades or mercenaries you want.

6. Go to the mission archives and choose a mission and PRESTO! You will now be able to use any unit or upgrade you have unlocked or purchased for any mission!!!

I hope this is helpful,

GLHF!