Encounter cheater on 1v1 match. I hate it

I am diamond Terran player and matched with a bronze zerg player several days ago who cheated. I felt absurd when I first saw the system matched me with a bronze player. My first impression was that this guy must be really good and never lose so the system matched him a Diamond player. I thought the guy must be a Master above or GM so I didn’t even think about winning. The guy had a pretty good strategy and built a hatchery on my natural, and started spreading creep to my 3rd and 4th base locations. After cleaning the Zerg base and creep I got my 3rd command center and started going with mech. At the same time I also scanned Zerg was transitioning to Mutas. Long story short, after i got Thors, hellions and tanks, I cleared all Zerg vision around my base and I decided to push out. I unsieged my tanks and started moving out. I didn’t go far yet ( still around my 3rd base), all the Zerg army Lings and banelings and mutas just straight moved into my natural base. This was the moment when I realized that he knew where my army was and what I was doing. (This is not only fighting off the creep, but this type of move can only be seen in a base trade when you know your opponents have no army in their natural.) I heard about SC2 cheating, but never thought it would happen to me. I asked the guy ‘ are you cheating’, and he said ‘yes’. Then I left the game with no ‘gg’. I felt I wasted my time to play RTS game with cheater. Definitely no respect to this guy even he told me he was cheating. Not sure if it is proper for system to match a bronze player with a diamond player. Maybe when I see a bronze player next time I know they are cheating so I can leave the game right away. Is there anything else I can do if I meet cheater next time? Is there a easy way to report cheating? Blizz should fix this.

Honestly, the person you played against was probably simply a troll and not actually a cheater. It’s easy to tank your ranked MMR to a low level, and then actually play in unranked and move up to higher league opponents. Unranked is actually a separate MMR that functions almost exactly the same way as ranked, except it’s hidden. I’ve probably played over 20k games by now, and there have only been 2 games I’m sure were against real cheaters. You can only verify this by watching replay and only if the player made it obvious; In my case tracking army movements through fog of war and also straight up calling out my strategies in chat without scouting. AFAIK Maphack/cheats are very rare and users(losers) must pay a monthly subscription to use it. They existed at one point but it’s so rare it’s hard to say if they even work anymore. TL;DR You just got trolled.

2 Likes

Not sure about this. I played ranked game. U mean the other guy was playing unranked mode? By the way bronze and diamond has A big gap. There are silver, gold and platinum in the middle.

Yeah, likely your opponent was playing unranked. It’s a second MMR on your account and unranked/ranked players can match against each other. This way trolls can show a low league border while facing high leagues; IE stream snipers showing bronze league facing against GM streamers to try and embarrass them.

This is kind of new stuff to me, but good to know. If the guy didn’t cheat I would be happy, at least the game is not ruined.

That’s one type of smurfing that rose with F2P. You create an account that you rank in bronze, and then you climb up the ladder in unranked. More information in the Q&A thread if you’re interested about the smurfing part.

While some hackers do also smurfs, they still are a very rare occurrence, and it’s much more difficult to prove the hack than the smurfing.

It’s not if someone claims to be hacking that they really do, and your opponent could’ve perfectly been referring to having cheated the matchmaking (which he did to get placed as a bronze player). Most real hackers I’ve met stopped chatting when I pointed out their suspicious behavior. Admittedly, I may have met less than 10 in my whole career.

To find out, you have to analyze the replay, see if the player reacts to something he does not see (specially to correct a previously given order, and even more to moving elements), see if he’s watching into the fog of war, that kind of thing. A build order that doesn’t look like anything known can be a hint, as it suggest the player is used to adapt it on the fly. Not scouting also is a clue. Abnormally high APM spikes (800-1000) can also pinpoint some kind of hacks. There might be other players of your MMR who have also played this user (specially if you’re around master and above), and so the suspicions can be shared.

Once you have found convincing enough evidence :

• You upload the replay on a site such as drop.sc, Replaystats, or any filehoster.
    https://drop.sc/
  • Then you report the player (right click on his profile → report → hacking), and you paste the link to your replay, with a list/description of the suspicious moments.

Sometimes it might look like the team in charge of hacking doesn’t reacts, but they do always check the replays, and can in fact be trying to observe the user in order to shut the hack instead of banning the hacker right away. And sometimes the hacker might just get another update on his hack. It’s a kind of arms race, in a way. :male_detective:

It’s way more likely that you just played vs smurf who was trolling you. The sole fact he is going for proxy hatch speaks enough. If he was map hacking you can really easy check by analyzing the replay. If you don’t know how just upload it here and we’ll tell you. However there is 98% chance that you played a smurf and 2% that he was a cheater.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to find the replay and take a look. I hope he was just smurfing and played a better game.

Let’s hope so. It’s rather easy not to notice a changeling or a well placed overlord. You should be able to tell after careful analysis of the replay. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Reasonable analysis! But I need to find the replay first. It’s been a week since that play. Not sure if it is a good idea to post to public if actually I played a suck game instead of opponent cheating. :roll_eyes: lol