Commander Prestige

So basically, Blizz just triple the amount of gameplay option for each cmd in the upcoming update.
This is by far one of the best change for coop by Blizz in a long time.
I hope there will be new strategies and tips for each cmd with their new playstyle.

4 Likes

Indeed, but we’ll have to dive deeper into how and what exactly it’ll do. But the basic concept of it is fantastic. How they polish it afterwards is to be seen (you know, cautioning based on mutation as a whole :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

From what I have seen; there is A LOT to be desired from these prestige advantages/disadvantages. Most seem to be worth less than not even having the prestige.

2 Likes

For those who want the details, here are all 54 Prestige Talents as they are on the PTR.

9 Likes

I took a look at all of the prestiges. Most of them are complete crap. Like, legitimately complete crap. A few commanders have some competitive options for prestige talents, but the rest is just a “You take this every time, no questions asked.”

5 Likes

Even with that, most of them are still complete crap.

3 Likes

How would you change them? What’s your solution?

Many of them are just too much on the min side of min-max; they are flat out crippling for dubious gains

3 Likes

Then you’re just being a completely rude person who only wants to mock others.

Seriously, some of these prestige talents are insanely good. And then you have a large chunk of them that are like “Why bother?”
For instance: Raynor has one that beefs his Bio up by 100% health. But you lose your MULEs. MULEs are core to his economy gameplay and now he’s just a glorified Swann.
There’s one for Kerrigan that does some stuff to her combat units, but you lose your Nydus/Omega Worms.
There are good ones, and then there are ones like these that completely shaft things that the commanders need or want to make use of most times. There are tolerable ones… But most are complete trash.

I’ll need to actually go in and have some run throughs, but usually the issue is “This downside is way too steep to justify.” Toning the negatives back a bit, or completely changing is the way to go.

2 Likes

take for instance Karax. Combat units cost 40% less; the expected drawback would be static defenses cost 40% more. But instead they are gone altogether

2 Likes

You know what might have been a cool Prestige? Karax getting an Instigator. Maybe the disadvantage could be his Mirages get locked or certain cooldowns could be a bit longer?

I’ll admit; I’m not sure what would be fair disadvantages.

1 Like

Solid :smiley: thanks man!

And dang some real grouch, even before actually testing it out within game. Nicely done there lmao.

This is actually perfectly fine. It makes Unit Karax waaaaay better. Doing Unit Karax, you wouldn’t usually make static defenses outside of nuke protection.

1 Like

Well, what if you went with the units focus but went with a random map and got Temple Defense or other defensive focused maps?

3 Likes

Then it would be another challenge on it own. I’m not sure how each prestige will fare against another compo/map/mutation but you may learn how to deal with them as you play.
Besides some part of me is glad that they are adding alternative way to play each commander.

2 Likes

You don’t make auto turrets as tychus do you? Because his outlaws are strong enough to not need them.

Therefore if Karax units are strong enough to not need static def, you won’t miss it. Just make immortals or carriers on defense missions

All of these comments just show how limited some people’s play styles are.

Literally thinking a commander can’t do A or B because that’s all they’ve been doing. Assuming A is always better than B because that’s how they’ve come to know and play the commander.

I think prestige is great. It empowers some aspects while reducing others. It’s not perfect by any means, but neither is any newly released commander or map or anything.

Hating on it long before testing it out or trying it when the actual patch comes is just short-sighted.

7 Likes

A lot of these prestiges are tradeoffs, with some having obvious general anti-mutation uses (eg. H&H having a prestige that just milks the crap out of mass reapers, while another prestige is definitely for clearing DoN faster; Abathur now has an even bigger hard counter to Black Death, and maybe a build order that will definitely help speedrunners out). I’m not totally sure if it will make the underused parts of each commander more useable, though.

That said, some of these definitely need tweaking; there are a few that are clearly beginner-friendly prestiges but 1) beginners probably won’t be leveling them, and 2) they are seen as nothing but drawbacks to experienced players.

The commander with the best prestiges, to me, appears to be Swann; all of his bread-and-butter builds are helped out by a prestige, it seems like, and he has a beginner-friendly drill prestige (even though the turret prestige is probably better overall).

I’ve tested multiple times, be it in Temple or DoN, defending with an army as Karax and then helping ally attack just ends the map faster. You don’t need Structures to defend as Karax.

I would dare say it is worse.

This 40% reduction will make it so much easier to defend as an army it is insane. The fact you still have Shield Batteries to keep your units strong while defending is all you need.

This gonna be interesting to try.

6 Likes

I disagree. I think at least half of them are quite good and that most (not all) commanders will probably start defaulting prestige. What I am concerned about is that all of these kill versatility, and that is a problem when you have to chose before mission start.

2 Likes