Best campaign and why? [Spoilers]

I am not saying that Narud version of Duran is any good. I am just saying that Amon is incompetent and uninteresting and the only worse character in the entire SC2 saga is Ariel Hanson, because she tricks some people by being animated cute.

Oh and Izsha. But I am going to be reminded Izsha is not even a character.

A villain like Thanos at least had an entire movie centered on him and his motivations, not a throwaway line like Amon had…

I don’t think it’s out of boredom, I think it’s the inability to assimilate his ideology due to its harmful nature. but anyone who has liked or the approach of an opposite thought such as the night owl and existentialist questions, mixed with nihilism, will find Amon’s approach interesting

owl man has no past we do not know anything about him but he imposes himself in history through his questioning of the value of reality and the nature of the world and thus a parallel is imposed between his other self in otehr earth this is the same debate in the epilogue, it hurts that Kerrigan cares little about all this and prefer to use a hammer with a opposition to determinism without committing to anything and not directly to the logic of Amon. although in opposition to amon she moves away from victimhood

His incompetence was often set around pride (hehit the most intimidating opponent before ,others xelnagas) and idea time means nothing to him

Alarak went still. Four thousand combatants in a single Rak’Shir. Eight hundred deaths. He had kept his involvement hidden. Very hidden. He hadn’t even participated in the ritual. As far as he knew, nobody suspected he’d had any part in it. “I do not know what you’re talking about.”
“Nor did I. Not until last night. Amon knows exactly what you did.” Nuroka grimaced. "He found it amusing. An entire wing of our best leaders dead. Our fleet in disarray for months.Amon’s own plans delayed. He didn’t care. Neither did you.

• Kerrigan : This [voice]… is not his. There’s something else in there. Something tormented and desperate, but it’s benevolent. Amon’s strength grows by the moment. He may not return during our lives… but he will return.

Using thanos as a parameter of a good villain would be biased, as he is a different type of villain, the approach to the villain is not a parameter of a good villain, the mechanics used in Amon is the same as that used by Lovercraft cthulhu in certain In the sense that we know the nature of Amon not exclusively from a direct view of him, but from the people who speak of them, Amon is constructed as an omnipresent threat that mimics the figure of the monster that passes by for a large part hidden without showing its nature and appears with whispers of doom.

• [Amon] : Your action have not eluded my gaze, Artanis. Your plans are not hidden from me… And you, are too late. Behold, the form of your god. The culmination of a cycle set into motion when the stars were born. As I was your beginning-so shall I be your end. Know the truth, Artanis: your people, your belief, your [khala]… everything is a lie. There is nothing left of you.
  • Kerrigan : He never controlled me. I felt… an influence. A trace of something dark, but long gone. Amon must have died before I was infested.

Screen time, falshback or moments of emotional weakness are not parameters, we can take an example from Sauron, we never know his thoughts or motivations, but he does the job of establishing a constant threat that corrupts everything else. The screen time is not a parameter either, Vader is an example. If we know Amon through dialogues but we know him well enough, we know that his actions do not obey an arbitrary act, his actions, this construction in a logic that questions the natural order of the world forces him to redefine it, the chain of ascension is an example of details that highlight his identity without having to hear it from him

“Amon does not see death as failure. He sees death as the highest ideal. I have seen it in His heart.” Nuroka’s eyes shimmered. "What did He name our dueling grounds? The Pits of Ascension. He mocks us. Amon does not celebrate the winners. He salutes the losers. They are the ones who ascend in His eyes. He makes us carve each other into bits
because that is His plan for us all."

, the rite of ascension is a joke the dead are celebrated the alive ones mocked because life is a punishment everything is pompous spectacle of the Taldarim does not mean anything this shows the nature of Amon without having to personally approach him This is much more than Vader’s filial problems or misinterpretation of Thanos’ ecological problems with a bad logical solution

See, this is why I say Wings of Liberty is the best out of the three main story campaigns. Tychus Findlay is honestly fascinating, and the end of his journey is so full of tragic irony. He never got his freedom, but in his one last act of defiant virtue - of uncharacteristic selflessness - he tasted the sort of moral liberty that Mengsk could never take away from him… however briefly it lasted.

I won’t pretend that I don’t enjoy the others’ stories despite their flaws, but I’d be lying if I said they had any narrative virtues that can compete with Tychus’ through line.

The biggest problem with Amon is that, he is a bad villain in an otherwise great game. His flaw is highlight by how bad it is in comparison.

Narud is bad, but the whole game is bad, so he is just one $&@%ty element in a $&@%ty game. In other word, his flaw is not stand out.

However, if I have to compare them side by side, I think they’re both equally bad. I cannot sympathize with Amon, which is fine, I can sympathize with the Joker, either. However, Amon keeps nagging me to understand his motive. Narud has an understandable motive, but his motive is uninteresting. (Stop pining over dead guy, already!)

I cannot disagree more. While I can say with absolutely certainty that I know every sect of Buddhism, I can say for certain that this is not how Buddha taught his lesson.

1 Like

Mar, Mar. We got another Buddhism dispute.

1 Like

Yeah, WoL has lot of good stuff even when I take into account all the stuff that sucks, there is more of the bright stuff than in the other two. HotS sucks and LotV is a solid damage control, but then the Epilogue happens.

TL DR
NCO is the best.

1 Like

I’m leaving that stuff to actual Buddhists, or people who actually know about Buddhism, as it isn’t my domain of expertise :confused:

I was calling you because I remember how surprised/amused you were when Sayian got into “No true Scotsman” with Spirit on behalf of non-Abrahamic religion.

1 Like

True, but there is no such fallacy there… yet

1. Nova

2. Wings

3. Prologue + Main LotV body

4. HotS

5. LotV Epilogue

Protoss is my favorite race to play. My favorite campaign in all of Starcraft is The Fall in vanilla SC (except for the mission 6 infested terran micro map). But SC2 wise Wings had best story and Nova had best gameplay for me.

I also cannot get over the lack of detection play in HotS and LotV (should have detectors / use detectors hard / brutal difficulties). It’s a core part of Starcraft going back to Rebel Yell when you have to deal with cloaked wraiths by mission 5.

What can I say about Amon,Yes he shares a lot with the evangelists and wants you to see the light, for him this is the truth and like anyone who feels he is right and others cannot see it. He You hace feel that irremediable desire to convinceto ohers, of something that seems obvious to you"how can they not see it?", the joker is the same example all his actions are based on demonstrating such a point OLwman wants to demonstrate that the world deserves and must exist by means of attempting its destruction

When we talk about Buddhism, we are not talking about a real Buddhist current like Amon. Rather, it is based on the same premise “life is suffering” and it is the only thing that unites them, while Buddhism claims that living beings free themselves from that reality by suppressing their human nature, abandoning desire with the ultimate goal of abandoning the infinite cicle of reincarnation . Amon wants to address the root problem and ending the wheel itself will not end desire or pain, ends with the life that originates ending the cycle infinite of xelnaga ( cicle of reincarnation too).

That’s not a premise exclusive to Buddhism tho. Monotheist religions also have the “Earthly life is punishment” schtick.

They are an element of the worldview that you can consider to a certain extent universal, but it is not the premise from which they develop, although they may share a similar notion or even accept it as fact, how they deal with pain is different.

A example that that pain as a fact of life can be introduced as a reality of life does not form the core of its doctrine, Manichaeism (and perhaps Zoroastrianism) its religion is dualism the good against the bad. as two opposing forces in which pain can be something undesirablebut it is not by itself but because it is part of a reality that is considered bad, matter against spirit (ignorance against wisdom) human beings are beings of light trapped in the material world .the premise of is to free ourselves from this material world so that everything that does not bind him is bad. pain is only a manifestation of this prison .

Pain is a punishment could be interpreted by genesis, but there is no direct opposition to pain. If not to evil, the opposition of the Judeo-Christian religions of the opposition of what is wrong. what is wrong ? every faction will vary according to each of their interpretations. In turn, as it goes from being interpreted as a punishment, it is also passed to be a test as it is in the Book of Job, God has not punished Job since Job is a faultless man and does not deserve any guilt . This thought of pain and Death and everything that a man would reasonably fear, are manifestation corresponds to a secret plan of the creator, incompressible for man, so the fate of calamities becomes a natural fact of the world.

"Frankly, the more wisdom, the more trouble;
the more you know, the more you suffer. "Supposedly Salomon. This reflection would seem a contradiction, as the previous book urges you to seek wisdom.

An example of how it differs is that pain is embraced as a sign of holiness in Catholicism, as it is associated with sacrifice, bearing pain shows strength of the spirit when integrity and conviction are maintained as well as sacrifice.thus martyrdom is one of the reasons why various saints are recognized.

Christianity, unless those who border on Manichaeism, see our material body state as nature, divine order with all that it infers as death, pain, things must be (for now).
when speaking of new kingdoms, transformation of the world will be through the opposition to our moral weaknesses colective to build a celestial kingdom on earth.

Pain will disappear as a collateral part of this opposition to evil , cutting off its source of food and avoiding spreading its seed. Because evil acts like seed sow evil in human heart , good man too. they must drown the evil by bearing pain without revenge or bitterness and responding with love. Which outside of any miraculous intervention would be an expected effect that human-created pain would disappear if the empathy Christian premise “treat others as yourself” is fulfilled.

Christianism, its parallel in starcraft is clearly the khala and all that of the true unity in Legacy of Void is a criticism that happens to those who are outside of it.

I have real issues reading lycan’s stuff not gonna lie.

I have made my attempt to edit it, thanks for the notice

2 Likes

Yeah, I actually wonder why they did that. What were they so afraid of? It really is bewildering, even inexplicable, why they didn’t make a need for detection on Hard and Brutal difficulties in Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void.

1 Like

HotS was even worse in this aspect. Not only it omits stealth from enemy, but there is almost no Air to Air combat.

Goddammit, we don’t even get Corruptors.

3 Likes

This is a long thread, and while I’d love to read it eventually, I’d love to hear some tldrs for the arguments against WoL being the best campaign, which I always took as a given.

1 Like

Mostly storytelling issues.

Lot of plot holes and incosistencies (Mengsk’s plan with Tychus, Tychus on Korhal, Tal’Darim not being figured out, Narud stealing from himself). And Safe Haven.

I love WoL. I loathe Safe Haven though.

1 Like