Battery overcharge

I personally do not like the idea of battery overcharge, specifically because it feels like another band aid for protoss gateway units being trash. I wish they would just finally decide to buff the adept or stalker, or finally do something about warp gate.

It’s well known that gateway units have to be trash because you can warp in 15 units across the map when you want. It seems like this would be easy to address by doing something about the warp mechanic. Once warp is researched theres no reason to ever go back to gateways, even though you can switch them. It would make sense to me to decrease unit build times after researching warpgate (or giving units built out of the gateway +10 shields for 20 seconds or something) and then switching them into warp gates when you wanted to harass or move out.

With some kind of change to the gateway you can increase protoss defenders advantage while not affecting the eventual push. My thoughts could be abused by proxies but I’m just spitballing an idea.

I just am tired of these band aid fixes to the overall issue, an old it’s time to be addressed

PS: I also dont want to hotkey everyone of my nexi so I dont end up using energy from my third on chronoboosting units or upgrades

8 Likes

They mentioned specifically wanting to address the defense of the third base in PvP, including in situations where warpgate denies defenders’ advantage regarding gate units. Coming from there, buffing gate units won’t help, and would on the contrary reduce even more defender’s advantage.

Another prevalent concern is the ability for Protoss to hold three bases. In the past, when the key heavy hitters in PvP were Colossi or Disruptors, the defender had a significant advantage in that they would generally have one or two additional Colossi or Disruptors in their defense due to travel distance. But now that Zealots and Archons are primary mid-game units (with Immortals being much less potent than either Colossi or Disruptors), this travel distance is negated, and the defender often can’t make up this difference when slightly behind.

Balance update 04-28-2020

They also specifically mention zerg all ins, zerg mid-game timing attacks, and Terran pushes

For that matter, im not sure why they think its a good idea for our defender’s advantage to be temporary. If the counterplay to this is just “bait it out, wait 30 seconds, then kill them”, what good is it? If they commit to an aggressive strategy and we have defenses in place, they should be behind from that, they aren’t entitled to be able to automatically just walk up and break our stuff.

I rather see warp prism not able to warp in units or has it’s area much smaller (so that the maximum number of warpgate unit you can warp is just 6 or so in a time) so this dumb argument can be done with.

It’s really annoying to see how weak Protoss warp gate unit is.
Zealot isn’t an early game unit, Chargelot is a midgame unit.
Stalker is mediocre
Adept is mediocre
Sentry are spell caster, so they don’t count, and you don’t generally warp them across the map, which is why it’s one of the only good unit from warp gate.

Batery Overcharge seems like a lazy design, why don’t just buff the Battery itself, give it double energy capacity, and if you must, you can make it start with the same ammount of energy when build.

If you wanna be fancy, give Guardian Shield to Shield Battery, or Forcefield. Make it a static defense Sentry. That’s a lot of more creative options than a lazy overcharge.

2 Likes

Proxy batteries with cannons.

1 Like

Give them an extra 50% efficiency when healing units over structures then.

They do, and some of us did mention the probable use against RR allins when defending with immortals batteries. But that’s not the primary aim for the devs.

Though, personally, I think RR allins are a powerful option in ZvP, probably more problematic than PvP B3’s defense. The problem with your suggestion is that those would impact PvT simultaneously, so I think giving that defensive option and thinking about the Z side (creep being one of those, and queen’s range due to more efficient harass) could be an alternative. Lots of players did hope to see the SH mentioned, though. :thinking:

Proxy batteries with VRs or immortals. :innocent:

2 Likes

They gonna proxy a nexus too?

Failed to notice the 8 range limitation, my bad

How about we stop giving protoss more gimmicks and give them buffs that they actually need? LoTV Protoss is just meme fodder at this point. Hell even HoTS Protoss was better than this garbage.

So from a Terran player: You guys have my deepest sympathies

2 Likes

Yes, balance changes may be geared towards pro-level play, but it still needs to be relatively fun and fair for everyone.

Regarding the overcharge ability at hand, it does really feel like a band-aid, but more importantly, it is highly dependent on a specific Nexus having the energy. When a new Nexus has been built, it is far too tempting to immediately use its energy to Chrono out new Probes from it, and since it’s the closest Nexus (being the same Nexus you’re placing Chrono Boost on), it will use energy from that, meaning it can’t be used to overcharge nearby Shield Batteries anyway. The other thing is that you have to wait for it to charge an additional 25 energy, which may already be too late. Ultimately I don’t think it’s going to work - I’d much rather Chrono a Phoenix or something.

To give my own alternative suggestion, I’d wonder if something like my Sentry energy upgrade might work (allows a Sentry to cast Guardian Shield the moment it warps in). It’s clutching at straws a bit though because that too might be too slow to defend the natural, but might help with defending a third, along with providing more options for build variety:

Honestly, I think the best approach in regards to the PvP Proxy Robo build is to revert the cost of the Robotics Facility back to 200m 100g and the Immortal to 250m 100g (but keep the Warp Prism price the same), hence delaying the proxy slightly and the first Immortal costing slightly more (200 + 250 = 450m compared to 150 + 275 = 425m).

Ok, fine, protoss just isn’t allowed to have anything good in the early game because they might dare to take it out of their base.

/sarcasm.

3 Likes

Dont you have some random replay to post with an incoherent, rambling, salty, paragraph. Also who cares what you have to say about anything mr. Sensor towers dont have enough range