Abuse: player leaves games after one minute

There is this player named “Computer” that will frequently join my 2v2 games (US West Region), and immediately surrender/leave the game after 30s-1min. It seems like he’s just putting losses on his unranked score to keep his rating low and get matched with weak players.

Profile link: ​battlenet:://starcraft/profile/1/17510059127185866752

It’s really annoying because the turn-around time for one of his stunts is fast: just the 30sec load and one minute of game time, then his script can loop and ruin someone else’s game. I looked at his profile and he was doing this about every 4-5 minutes. It takes me 15-20min to queue and play out a match so his macro can ruin games around 3-4 faster than normal people can play them.

I’m hoping he’ll get banned for abuse. Sometimes when queueing for 2v2 I get matched with or against him three games in a row. Major waste of time.

2 Likes

The abuse is that you have to get up to 1000 victories for many achievements.
As someone who don’t care about competition, I wish there were more quitters like that in 1vs1.
In team, it’s unlucky, but well, it’s harder to “fix” that situation.

The fix is simple: ban them

That was done, the staff got banned, and now work at another (others?) company(ies) they made :crazy_face:
Still need to give some user-friendliness to some aspects of the game, so that no one could do bad things, while saying they’re doing something good, and have strong evidences going their way.

Do you have a source on that? Did they actually fire people for implementing something like that?

There is huge thread made by Trias, which explains about smurfs and gives a few suggested actions to take.

Thank you for making the thread! ^^

1 Like

The conclusion of that entire post is basically that the devs can easily implement some fixes, but they choose not to. And the only thing you can do is mitigate the losses yourself. It’s really sad

And necroing threads, and increasing post count in smurf related threads.

1 Like

I think he’s referring to Bli² firing most of SC2 original team, after having encouraged others to leave (leading to FrostGiant for example). The motives of such decisions are probably purely financial, since Activision doesn’t seem to believe in RTS as a worthy enough investment potential.

AFAIK there was no relation at all towards anti-smurfing proposals, nor anti-botting (which where the only ones which made them take action in the past, since they consider it as hacking).

And thank you for relaying it, Dallarian. It has gotten quite the views along the months, despite being inactive. :wink:

That would be an accurate conclusion indeed. And sad is an adequate term to describe it.

Yet, even dealing with it by ourselves is different than having no recourse at all. I have made an algorithm which allows me to recognize smurfs in about 80% cases in the first seconds of a game. Your opponent not knowing that you know what they’re up to is a slight but non negligible advantage, not to mention that it also helps better learning from your mistakes since you know right away you’re going in against a better execution/meta/decision making.

Since most people complaining about smurfs merely post a single thread post and then leave, and since I have not the same rights than when I last edited the big thread, I didn’t bother to share it. But if there’s an interest, one day I might. :thinking:

1 Like

haha I knew who you are talking about I had two games against him earlier…one of them I won and another I lost…Computer is botting…

The player you are talking about is Protech. He thinks everyone is a hacker so he leaves the games.