Zenyatta Has Been A Villain

I know this is INSANE to think after a character we have had for 7 years…but recently I’ve been noticing that Zenyatta could have been a villain the entire time - below is all of my evidence making me think this…

Discord: Allow me to start this off by pointing out that Zenyatta uses a balance of good and “evil” or disagreement as per what Discord means. Purple has always represented “bad” in the Overwatch canon from Widowmaker’s appearance to Moira’s dark energy…so for him to be able to summon the “bad” energy adds a bit to this.

Skins: Yes, I know skins are not lore accurate, at least a majority of the time - but I truly feel it is saying something when a MAJORITY of Zenyatta skins have been “evil” “dark” or “cult” related characters… Cthulhu is an evil mythological creature who inflicts madness and death…Ifrit is a powerful demon who can possess…these few just stand out as being darker for a more “peaceful” character.

Mondatta: I’m going EVEN CRAZIER with the fact that Zenyatta may have put out the hit on Master Mondatta…this I get from the recent story-mode cinematics when he seemed against Mondatta leaving the monastery, then at the very end Talon, especially Widowmaker who puts out the hit, comes in to tell Zenyatta “we found him” who they found I do not know but it seems strange he would be close with the killer of his old master…his motive I do not have completely worked out and this evidence and thin.

But I’m telling you guys Zenyatta isn’t as peaceful and nice as we all think…

1 Like

I think zenyatta is much more impartial than you think. It has always been canonical in the lore that Zenyatta, like Ramattra, did not agree that the absence of concrete actions in the world would fix something in the world of humans. However, he has chosen a different path from that of Ramattra: to fight injustices instead of being a priest who blindly trusts in the benevolence of Aurora’s message of peace.

I also suspect that Sombra and Widowmaker want to capture Zenyatta as “Mondatta’s successor” or perhaps knowledge of Ramattra’s true identity as head of the Null Sector.

I don’t see in Zenyatta a bringer of peace… but rather someone who understood how Mondatta’s method was not enough to change the world. it is necessary to act to show that we have changed, not to pray and to remain humble. But not necessarily violent like Ramattra, who in my opinion seek it out because they share the desire to change the world with their own actions.

1 Like

I agree, Zenyatta is by far evil. But there’s two ideas that pop into my head from the “we found him” line.

1.) Talon, to some, is seen as a group of people doing what needs to be done by any means necessary, though this is debatable in the new form. Zenyatta MAY have thought that since he felt Mendatta couldn’t change people enough, making Mendatta a martyr could, and was possibly willing to make such a thing happen.

2.) More likely, above was Rammatra’s thinking and plan, and Widow was merely saying the line out loud either for dramatic effect, to Sombra or into an earpiece to let Rammatra know they found Zenyatta and were going to kidnap hum as you said.

1 Like

I hardly disagree with zenyatta being evil. As we saw a few years ago Widowmaker killed Mondatta which was Zen’s pal. And the “we found him” line. Why would they go out, find someone, go back, tell him they found who zen would be looking for, go back out and find him again??? They were definitely talking ABOUT zen and not TO zen.