Xbox series x/PS5 performance

Is it just me or does the series x version of the game feel unpolished. I have a HDMI 2.1 tv capable of giving 120hz output. For some reason, overwatch 2 looks incredibly fuzzy when running at 120hz on series x. No other game looks this fuzzy at 120hz. I even feel overwatch 1 looked sharper. There is also stuttering. I would assume PS5 is similar but I can’t confirm. Am I the only that thinks this?

Also, there is no fov slider. I thought this would for sure be added for overwatch 2 but it is not on console.

7 Likes

Similar thing happened in the beta. Looks like OW2 uses aggressive dynamic resolution scaler when on 120hz mode for PS5/series X.

Resolution at times can be 1440p but can also dip below 1080p.

OW1 by contrast was always 1440p on the 120hz mode for series x

5 Likes

I have to agree, my thing is did you go into settings to change the display settings?

Yes. I have played multiple titles at 120hz but overwatch 2 looks like it’s 1080p at best. To be fair, even the resolution mode isn’t as sharp as it should be.

2 Likes

If you have 120 hz refresh, go to video and change to framerate mode. Remember to accept the change. Might help.

To see my exp: Honestly, Would Shutting down OW2, make it easier to fix? - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

Honestly, I think “trying” to log in now, is just making everything worse.

I just saw all my skins back on default and I think my settings reset…

Literally what I spent all this time on before crashing.

I don’t have issues activating 120hz. I just feel it looks to fuzzy when running at 120hz and it shows a black of polish. All the edges and floor textures shimmer and it looks bad. I haven’t seen this in any other game that runs at 120hz on series x

On xbox its a little more choppy then normal. Im assuming they are going to fix it since I don’t think it was like this during the beta.

For the fuzziness? i dissagre IMO its looks sharper and more deep

2 Likes

Most 120hz games on series x/PS5 hover around 1440p. OW2 hits 900p for sure since I always see this fuzzy look on sub 1080p games

I feel like the game thinks it’s running on a series s because I don’t even feel the resolution mode is sharp for 4k. Is PS5 the same

Running on a PS5 and haven’t noticed that issue. Are there differing Xbox One and Series X/S versions? Some of things you mention sound like visual issues from the PS4 version.

Xbox will have 4 different versions, Xbox one s, Xbox one x, Xbox series s, and Xbox series x. I have a PS5 but the queue times are making me delay trying it. I also have to link my account to playstation

And I thought dealing with the PS4 and PS5 versions of games was a pain. Didn’t realize Xboxers had so many different options. :smile:

Series S is probably hitting 720p or lower during really demanding fights. Hard to notice cause of the chaos. I’m sure they’ll improve things with optimization. I’m just happy to have 120 fps on console Overwatch. OW1 was unplayable on PS5 and I didn’t want to pay for XBL just to play OW.

1 Like

My TV can only display 60fps but despite having a series x something feels off. Performance mode just looked awful and resolution seems to make all the menus laggy as hell. Balanced feels best but yeah something feels wrong.

Also, Are you guys using HDR on or off? Without it everything feels quite dull despite my tinkering, but with it on everything feels far too washed out and over saturated. I’ve tried fiddling with the in-game settings and my TV settings but I can’t get it feeling right… Anyone landed on good settings yet?

It’s the dynamic resolution scaler being pushed heavily compared to OW1. OW1 was a back compat title on series X. System has enough horsepower so resolution mode was 4K60fps with rare fps dips. Balanced mode was locked 1440p60.

Resolution mode for OW2 looks to rarely be 4K while staying around 1800p. Balanced mode is 1440p best case scenario maybe drops.

If HDR looks washed out after calibration it’s cause your tv doesn’t support proper HDR. Can’t get bright enough to deliver a good experience so I’d recommend turning it off. Look up your tv model and find the peak brightness. If it can’t hit 600 or more it’s fake HDR.

1 Like

Okay thanks, it’s a fairly old Samsung TV ks800 (6yrs old maybe) but supports HDR. I’ve always found the HDR decent on it but I’m no expert so it might not be up to current standards… I’ll prob keep it off as I guess overall it looks a little better without it turned on.

Your tv should look fine in HDR. Just make sure you console is allowing it

Thanks yeah, just recalibrated my series x HDR settings and my TV and looking much better. Still something else feels a bit off but maybe just getting used to ow2 rather than ask the hours on 1!

Same here, the FPS drops in every mode. Ow1 was perfect on series s.