Wrong flag for Castillo on Overwatch website

Didn’t know where else to post this but I figured that someone at Blizzard might wanna know so they can get it fixed.

If you go to the maps page on the official Overwatch website (Overwatch 2) you can see that Castillo is labeled with the Italian flag when it should have the Mexican flag. I’m pretty sure the flag is correct in-game, just wrong on the website.

8 Likes

Itally in Overwatch is lead by guy named Ben Muesli and started conquering the world in order to create Roman empire again, with Castillo being one of first teritories they captured

Change my mind

1 Like

Technically it’s both right AND wrong at the same time.

When the devs were designing Dorado, they were trying to find visual references and eventually searched “colorful Mexican towns” on Google Images. However, the reference they used actually turned out to be a town in Italy called Manarola.

Manarola, Italy

Dorado, Mexico (Overwatch)

https://gamespot1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/123/1239113/3198832-over.png

Castillo, Mexico (Overwatch)

Castillo is actually located above Dorado, so it would technically fall under the same boat as being based on Manarola, Italy.

So while both Dorado & Castillo are located in Mexico in Overwatch’s universe, it’s actually closer in geography & architecture to real-world Italy.

If Dorado was more accurate to real-world geography, it would be more closer to that of the geography of Veracruz, Mexico…and well, Veracruz is very different from the hilly coastal town that is Dorado.

Veracruz, Mexico

6 Likes

I realised that Dorado isn’t the only one with the wrong flag : Oasis has the egyptian flag, but Oasis is in Irak. And yes, in game, Castillo and Oasis have the right flags.

3 Likes

Dorado in the game has the right flag?

Yes. Castillo has the Mexican Flag, and Oasis the Iraqi one in game on the loading screen of the map.

2 Likes

You’re right, I didn’t notice that. Wish someone at Blizzard would notice this thread so they could get those 2 fixed.

1 Like

I love how they can display flags for made up places like Horizon Lunar Colony and Numbani, but they can’t get the flags right for Gibraltar and the rest of the countries others have listed above.

I can sort of understand why they’d mix up Mexico’s flag with Italy’s due to their similarity, but I figure that Blizzard would be smart enough not to miss the eagle with a snake in its mouth on top of a cactus. I’m an American and I learned this detail on the flag watching the Disney cartoon The Three Caballeros.

It may be better to post this under Bug Report even if it’s not a typical bug they expect, since this about a technical error related to Overwatch. I don’t think employees are combing this section as they would with Bug Report, and the staff over there would probably be able to pass this info along.

1 Like

Gibraltar is disputed territory, so it’s likely Blizzard didn’t want to start any arguments and just used the Overwatch flag to represent the Overwatch base the map is set in.

1 Like

I looked deeper into its history, and it doesn’t seem like it’d be controversial to feature their red/white flag with a castle. The dispute doesn’t really rise to the level of Taiwan/China’s rather heated claims of sovereignty and ownership respectively. The real issue seems to be between Spain and the United Kingdom over their claim for Gibraltar as a territory, which doesn’t seem like it’d be an issue if it was just the red/white flag being featured. :gibraltar:

I think it’s important to keep the Overwatch flag for Overwatch facilities, wherever they are located. Like Ecopoint : Antartica and Watchpoint : Gibraltar.

3 Likes

But where is numbani?

It’s a city state (I think?), based on the Yorubas, whose main population lives in Nigeria. Also Doomfist is Nigerian. And there was an Omnium in Nigeria. So I guess it’s somewhere in Nigeria?

4 Likes