Workshop Vs. #ReworkMercy: a developer gambit?

The #ReworkMercy movement has never been a united front.

And yes, #ReworkMercy is still a thing, it’s just less publicly visible. Between the members burning out on writing “fix Mercy” essays, getting sick of being shouted down by people who would rather maintain the status quo, and the public credibility of the movement being trashed by a certain YouTuber, advocates for reworking Mercy have pulled back into letting their sentiment simmer on the back burner these days.

Ask ten different #ReworkMercy supporters how they think she should be reworked, and you’re probably going to get eleven very different suggestions that prioritize different parts of gameplay.

Why eleven? Because the movement is just that badly fractured. Many of its members have diametrically opposed opinions of where Mercy should go from here, what elements of her design to keep and what should be left behind.

But with the new workshop feature, every disgruntled ex-Mercy main with a 5-step plan to “Fix Mercy” can make the rework they want to see.

I have a guess that the devs are counting on this.

It’s inevitable that out of the bazillion Mercy Reworks coming our way, a handful of them are going to float to the top as the most popular choices.

And once The Court of Popular Opinion has made their decision on “the best” workshop version of Mercy, the devs will take a look at turning that into a reality on the live servers.

i talk to mercy players a bunch, and your already late,

i have seen like 3 mass rez prototypes in the workshop fully working,

regardless of this, i think its a good move from the devs just beeing like “you dont like it? fix it yourself”

so now, people can do whathever they want and play the heroes they want for fun,

But yeah dont expect a rework or revert or anything of the sorts, they already said they dont want to rework anymore, so yeah…

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of it.

They don’t want to work on reworks anymore, so they’re letting the playerbase do it for them.

With you up until the last part…I doubt very much that itll lead to a follow up of any kind…best hope (and I am in the same boat for a different issue) is that the workshop ends up having some sort of tie-in with the arcade…perhaps some sort of community spotlight type deal where there are popular workshop modes available in the arcade for some period of time

I don’t think they’ll be making any changes to main game because of the workshop

3 Likes

They’re not gonna change Mercy anymore.

5 Likes

As much as I love throwing it open to the community, it feels like Blizzard has been outsourcing everything recently as most of the new skins are being commissioned during the concept art phase as well. Really seems like Blizzard is understaffed or doesn’t have enough funding to me.

I very seriously doubt that

I wish I could agree with you. But I’m thinking the reality is the developers don’t give one devil’s damn what Mercy players think.

Which is why I stopped playing Mercy.

5 Likes

Lets not even suggest that workshop “reworks” are to going make it into the actual game.

The revermercy/reworkmercy (same thing, different packaging) folks will probably be making such claims soon

tho I havent seen any blushing for about a week now

Well, they said she was fine numerous times but still continued to nerf her so can we honestly take them at their word these days? That’s not the only thing they’ve said which hasn’t then later on happened anyway.

Unfortunately I do agree with some of the posts here though, while I’d love to see Mercy reworked further to hopefully be a better hero for many who dislike the current form and those who still like her as is and hopefully also would in a further reworked form, I don’t think the developers will be reworking any hero any time soon given their track history on reworking heroes not really being a massive success in general. If anything it has proven to give them more of a headache with the community, resulting in megathreads being opened for what appears to be damage control and keeping many threads away from potentially spamming the main forum. There’s also OWL to consider, seeing Mercy do something potentially impactful and/or stunning isn’t great entertainment for that, compared to say… a ‘damage’ hero doing something amazing.

perhaps a compromise should be considered

They’re not gonna change Mercy anymore.

And it’s that very attitude they (seem to have anyhow) that’s costing them players overall. People are leaving All. Their. Games.

The cockiness is almost a cultural thing at Blizzard; bot any particular game’s devs.