With an award-winning writer on the team, think we'll finally get more substantial lore now?

We all know Alyssa Wong joined the Overwatch team last year, and she’s a multi-award winning writer hired specifically to create stories for Overwatch. Last month, she moved to Irvine to be with the team, so that’s a good sign.

It’s been pointed out before, a major reason the lore was so slow was because the team didn’t have any real writers. It had Michael Chu, who is a “writer” but mainly there for lore matters that work in-conjunction with the game itself. He never wrote a novel I don’t think, compared to Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft having multiple novels. So when you don’t have a full-fledged writer as a team member, obviously the lore suffers.

How this even happened to a game as big as Overwatch is beyond me, but whatever.

So now that the issue has been solved, do you think we can finally see more frequent and substantial lore content later? Not just 10-page comics and an animated short, but novels, comic books, hell even an animated series on Netflix (please).

In any case, comics or novels, I’d buy them in a heartbeat. I just hope they’d be good. Lets hope, no, pray the drought brought on us the last year or so is finally over.

I think so. Jeff commented on the issue of comics before in a stream and here’s what he has to say.

Jeff Kaplan: We love story content - obviously the animated shorts have been fantastic. A lot of people have been asking about comics, they’re like, “It’s been ages since, you know, you guys have done comics.” We are very interested in doing more comics and we actually have a plan for how we want to do more comics and exactly what the comics would be. And there’s a lot of good reasons that I’m not going to get into why the comics kinda slowed down for a little bit, but we are excited about comics and talking about comics again.

Source: https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousFriendlyDurianDerp

It did cross my mind that the team are working on something big that’s yet to be revealed, hence why it’s been quieter than usual. The only thought was that I know Michael Chu recently got married just before Blizzcon (Congrats Michael!) but I would think it’s business as usual for the rest of the team anyway. I guess we now await for these “top secret” projects to go live.

Hmmm… Hmmm I say! :thinking:

2 Likes

There’s also another thing but I can’t say for certain of the validity of it.

That was me, it was making waves on Reddit so I shared. Hopefully it’s true.

1 Like

I think it’s believable, mostly because we just got the Scion Hanzo skin without any context; similar to how Uprising had Blackwatch uniforms for McCree/Genji.

Let’s hope yes plz! :smiley:
I’m losing said hope, so there is little more to say xD

I think we may get more lore this year and I do hope for something grand that they were hiding like a novel or something like that.

1 Like