Will we still get original OW cinematics?

I get that collab content gets profits in but there’s a severe lack of cinematics for the game. I understand the PvE story pack failed but that was more about its replayability and cost, not the interest about the story.

Short written stories are nice enough, the Hammond one was above average, but I feel like OW’s original world has so much market potential in video form (short cinematics like we’ve had before, or even just the cutscenes from the PvE mode) that is just completely thrown away.

1 Like

Some are hoping that Overwatch’s presence at Gamescom in August (already confirmed by Blizzard president Johanna Faires) could have much bigger announcements than just “Here’s Space Rangers in Season 12 + Clash Mode”

Mei’s cinematic actually arrived at Gamescom. That’s already a reason to hope for a cinematic, especially considering that the ones dedicated to Kiriko, JQ and Sojourn were made while Kaplan was directing the game.

also, Season 12 will be almost exactly one year after Season 6 and the start of PVE Invasion (September 1, 2023). I don’t know if this could be the occasion to talk about it, but we can’t completely rule it out.

But… I agree. I’m really annoyed by this “contamination” of character lore in favor of collabs. Seeing D.Va with busan invaded by gwishin to advertise the porche, Ramattra who notices the return of Overwatch in Toronto to show himself as a transformer… visually it’s nice but it’s not good. You can do this kind of approach for a game like heroes of the storm that is easily blendable for its own artistic nature, not to a game that is suffering to have real news for its story.

1 Like

Overwatch not being in this year’s Gamescon that happened in june was very worrying given the state of the game.

What can overwatch offer this year?

Lack of imagination among nudevs , ot better day managers

Then that probably means space ranger animated short with a look at the mars colony and her preparing to get in the ship to earth which landed in Dorado Tuesday 9th of July. That would be a perfect way to give a hero reveal and map teaser at once.

I don’t know. If I’m not mistaken, the season will debut on the same day as Gamescom, and usually the teasers of the new hero come out with the release of the test of the new hero (see Mauga and Venture). in the game we see the workshop notice in every match, a sign that we already have the space ranger files inside the game itself but… not active until the final testing.

Another possibility could be a cinematic that previews the next new heroes as Blizzcon 2023 did with Venture and space ranger. Maybe Emre Sarioglu and many others.

I would honestly like a new cinematic in a different setting from Dorado: Nepal, Rio, Monaco… something that amplifies the lore to the new maps or to the old ones that have never really been explored in any particular media.