WIKI: Workshop Syntax & Script Database

I’d love to see an example of a conditional script if you have one. Specifically, I’m trying to use Throttle Of to give Pharah a small dash while airborne, but when Throttle Of is off it sets it to 0,0,0 and dashes her to her left. I’m new to Workshop though, and am not sure how to make something else take priority if and only if there is no detected input from the player (preferably a forward dash).

If possible (but less important), I’d also be curious to see if there’s a way to recharge ammunition or Jump Jet fuel.

Could somebody edit the wiki to include the code for the Workshop examples? It’d be nice to refer to them while I edit my own modes in the actual game.

1 Like

How do you make an effect revolve around an other effect or hero on the X axis?

I am going to try to build tutorial videos explaining examples of each attribute next. Here is the first video explaining how to create. Critiques and feedback are encouraged. Cheers!

2 Likes

Greetings,

Any chance that you could post the definitions of these terms? I have to admit that it’s been an extremely long time since I did any sort of programming.

You may want to put those tutorial in a separate thread of it’s own with no user reply to make it easier for users to browse through. Should also place all the videos into a playlist on YouTube and link to it.

1 Like

Simply click each entree for details of each definition.

Hey I’m doing a massive undertaking and editing every character in the game trying to make them better, more unique or downright atrocious to fight against and I’m running into a few problems.
The first more major Problem is that i’m trying to change Zenyatta’s harmony orb to buff a character with more run speed but I can’t seem to figure out how to specify the person being targeted by the orb. Victim doesn’t work since no damage is being dealt. Additionally, for his discord orb I was thinking I would have the effect of erasing the affected players hud. That one is a bit more complicated haha.
Finally, I saw a video that had Sombra’s hack set people aiming sensitivity insanly high. I have a decent idea about that. Make it a global event and set it as if a person has the status hacked their aim speed and camera speed go way up and when hack ends it would put it back to normal. Any help on this would be really appreciated!

1 Like

You could disable Melee in the Hero General settings, though that would stand for the entire match. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, but it’s just a thought.

1 Like

Where are the “For” and “For Each” repeating blocks? And the worst! Where’s Else? It does not make sense to replicate all the conditions in another action with inverted values, in programming itself, a simple “Else” solves. One suggestion to look for in Construct 2, overwatch has a way of creating scripts just like it (of course, they are called Event Sheets on it), overwatch developers could take inspiration from it to improve the workshop scripts …

Thank you so much!! I was so fixated on editing the code, I forgot all about changing it in the lobby settings.

Hello! I got error:

“ERROR: SCRIPT TOO LARGE”.

I use the rules for each team. I have over 100 rules in my game mode. Often this upgrade menus and dot product for icons.

Can you increase of actions number, please?
I want to make a revolutionary game mode for overwatch, but this limitation does not allow me to achieve my goal.

I hope I can release my game mode. Thanks :slight_smile:

A couple notes and quality-of-life suggestions I’m sure you’ve heard before, but regardless:

PTR: The checkboxes and copying into the clipboard are incredibly nice touches, should make a lot of things easier and answers the call of everyone who prefers text editing; thanks! Drag and drop to modify order would be amazing, but if not, this helps tons.

Being able to copy/move parts of an action somehow would be great, and is one of the biggest pain points I hit in terms of usability. I often find myself making some kind of calculation, then realizing I want to multiply it by another number, thus needing to change the top to multiply and make the calculation all over again. I can’t think of a super straightforward way this could be done, but even being able to copy part of an action and then paste it back in would be helpful. (If not, the clipboard functionality will still be helpful in those scenarios; thanks!)

The last thing is that I wish the action editor showed indentation on the right side. Having all the dropdowns be neatly aligned is aesthetically pleasing, but usability-wise, I find myself often clicking on the wrong dropdown because it’s difficult to parse the tiers, especially in more complicated calculations. If the dropdowns started more to the left and indented along with the left side, or even if there were some kind of tier-based color-coding/grouping, it would make that particular part of my life much easier.

The Workshop is incredible, and I’m having loads of fun, both creating and playing games. Thanks for making cool stuff for us to use!

Hi,

Can you add the current effects and texts limits ? I think it would help other people making complex gamemodes, and avoid them the issue of reworking HUD/Effects managers when they reach the limits without expecting it.

From my own tests, limits are 64 effects/icons and 128 in world/HUD texts.

Edit: Btw, I saw in PTR that effects limit is now at 128, but the text limit is unchanged. Do you have any information about it being increased too ? (I’m going to scale down from 225 to 128 texts for my gamemode, but I don’t want to make a major, time consuming, and gameplay downgrading rework if it’s expected to change).

the only way i found to detect that is,
if you have Hero Limit to 1 per team, write :
rule: on going each player

• condition
    has status (event player, hacked) == true
  • action
    set player variable(event player, h, players on hero(hero(sombra)), opposing team of (team of(event player)))

How do you make the ‘Big Message’ display multiple words at once rather than displaying multiple over a long time?

1 Like

i cant figure out Hero Of, i have Set Player Variable Event Player (A) Hero of Event Player. but the variable only sets to Unknown Value. Trying to make Hero Limit of one for offense but dont know how to even account for all the heros being played by a the offense.

Why can’t they just make a python or js lib, and convert the code to overwatch crap code. You would benefit IDE auto-completion and syntax highlighting.

Is there a way to detect damage from a quick melee as opposed to a primary fire as opposed to a secondary fire?

Also, a suggestion: It would be nice if we could get some character specific options like “Is Using Scope” and “Is Wallriding” and things like that.

You have Is Firing Secondary and Is On Wall, which are scoped (for Widow) and wallriding (for Lucio) respectively. Having hero specific checks would just lead to bloat and make a lot of code harder to maintain.

1 Like