WIKI: Workshop Syntax & Script Database

For the CREATE_HUD_TEXT, is there any way to remove the border and background? I enjoy having a mix and match of larger and smaller font size for format the HUD.

Too bad there’s no relative positioning settings such as:

LEFT_OF( hud_id )
RIGHT_OF( hud_id )

This is because you want to have the world ‘VS’ in the absolute top center of the screen, with the long team name being left and right of it.

rooting would be the ideal one. It keeps them in place but lets them look around and use abilities

So is there a way to create / change a shield?
As an example make a brig or rein shield 360 degrees or an ability similar to Monkey’s shield.
(And no, the game Stylosa made was just a joke and purely visual.)

1 Like

More work done on getting the Action Syntax database built also cleaned up a bunch of spelling errors. Hope to have the base framework of this guide complete tomorrow.

2 Likes

Is there any possibility in the future that we get an event attribute for player swapping team, and when players leave the game? Those two events are impractical for the modder to script into their custom games, as it hinders the amount of things modders can add to their workshop games due to the restriction how how large our script can be.

When we create HUD for team members to share info, a problem shows up when the host swaps players from one team to another team from the lobby while the game is taking place.

I don’t think it is practical for us to request an event handler for actions to happen in the before, currently, and after state for event attribute due to the amount of work it will require to implement it.

1 Like

Using ‘PLAYER CARRYING FLAG’ outputs ‘Entity 318’ (or another number) instead of a player’s name (not sure if this is a bug). The position of this should be equal to a player’s position. Using ‘ALL PLAYERS ON OBJECTIVE’ or ‘IS ON OBJECTIVE’ would be the same.

It’s very useful if you already know coding too. The workshop really is a thing of it’s own. It’s nice there’s already so much community documentation, because knowing blizzard, official documentation could take years…

1 Like

Is there a functional difference between the status conditions of “stunned” and “knocked down”, or is it purely an aesthetic difference? As far as I can tell they both technically do the same things (prevent moving, prevent aiming, and prevent using abilities), and the only difference is the visual falling animation. Is one more debilitating, or does the inconvenience of one vs the other only depend on the respective duration of each abilty?

Knocked Down will cause an animation which drops the event player to the ground. Reinhardt’s Earth Shatter does this. Other stuns simply cancels any current animation and freeze the target hero in place for the stun duration.

There are no environmental kills either. (?)
I want to give people a double score when they get an environmental kill (gungame_enhanced)

Perhaps I can use LAST DAMAGE OVER TIME ID to see weather the last hit of the VICTIM was a knockback, etc. ? But where can I find a list of the IDs?

2 Likes

Is there a way to increase a variable by a command for debugging purposes?
“set player/global variable”, “set next map”, “score add 1”, ……
Or a command to kill someone/something?

(Yes, I could make me increase a variable every time I press interact, but then everyone could do it or I’d have to restart the game each time I need to test a different variable/action)

I am aware that people are no longer used to use commands. Everything needs to have a GUI now…. but let’s be honest: This mode is for users which are more experienced! We know what commands are. We don’t need to be fed like a baby.

1 Like

Hey, WyomingMyst. I’m creating a list of community resources and was wondering if I could add this wiki to the list.

Please do, any of my work (Workshop or otherwise) is more than welcomed to be shared anywhere that supports the Overwatch Community.

2 Likes

Hi WyomingMyst, sorry for contacting you directly this way. Is there any way to set up solid objects, like invisible walls, or (exampli gratia) to make the dome (from the fire dome mode) impossible to cross?
I’ve tried to use impulse to knock back the player just a little bit, so to make it unnoticeable (and utterly failed), and stuff like that (which also failed), so I was wondering if there’s a more “direct” way of setting this.

Not at this time from what I can tell.

id love if there was a more direct way to interact with the workshop with a command line or something :3

Just saw this,

Excellent idea Wyoming! This will deffo help us tinkerers make some more sense of these various scripts! :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

There’s now “Raycast” value syntax for player, normal of surface etc.

1 Like

WORKSHOP SYNTAX DATABASE

Forum syntax reminders

Post in Italics

_Post in Italics_

Post in Bold

**Post in Bold**

Post in Italics Bold

_**Post in Italics Bold**_

Post underlined text. This only works with the BBCode tag.

[u]Post underlined text. This only works with the BBCode tag.[/u]

Post in Strikethrough

~~Post in Strikethrough~~
Tables Are Cool
col 1 is Left Aligned
col 2 is Center Aligned
col 3 is Right Aligned
| Tables  | Are | Cool  |
| ------------- |:-------------:| -----:|
| col 1  | is | Left Aligned |
| col 2  | is | Center Aligned |
| col 3  | is | Right Aligned |

Posting a Quote block

[quote]
Posting a Quote block
[/quote]
Posting a Code Block. Use a code block when typing out large 
amounts of code information.
[code]
Posting a Code Block. Use a code block when typing out large amounts of code information.
[/code]

~~~~
Posting a Code Block. Use a code block when typing out large amounts of code information.
~~~~

Posting a Code Line

`Posting a Code Line`

Use a code line to post a URL as most users will be at “Trust Level 1” or less. Attempting to post a URL without wrapping it will result in an error.

[Posting a Link](http://www.playoverwatch.com)  (Trust level 3 users only)
[code][Posting a Link](http://www.playoverwatch.com)[/code]

Posting an image (Trust level 3 users only)
![Posting an image](http://www.mystgraphics.com/OverwatchForumImages/Jetpack_cat.jpg)

![code][Image Description](http://www.url.com/imagefile.jpg)[/code]

EVENT ATTRIBUTE

The event attribute is defines an event when a condition is fulfilled followed by an action which can be adjusted through values. In other words, once a certain condition(s) of the game mode is met, the event will activate.

ONGOING - GLOBAL
The ONGOING - GLOBAL event attribute will affect all entities in the game environment.

This event attribute has no specific definitions.

ONGOING - EACH PLAYER
The ONGOING - EACH PLAYER event attribute will affect the specified players in the game environment.

Definitions
Team
ALL - This event will affect both teams.
TEAM 1 - This event will affect team 1 (blue/defense)
TEAM 2 - This event will affect team 2 (red/attack)
Players
ALL - This event will affect all players regardless of team, slot position, or hero selected.
SLOT # (0-11) - This event affect the slot assignment of that specific player in the order of the Lobby (see diagram below)
{HERO NAME} - This event affects any players using the specified hero.

![Slot Assignments](http://www.mystgraphics.com/OverwatchForumImages/Workshop/SlotAssignments.jpg)

PLAYER EARNED ELIMINATION
The PLAYER EARNED ELIMINATION event attribute will affect the specified players who successfully score an elimination in the game environment.

Definitions
Team
Players
ALL - This event will affect all players regardless of team, slot position, or hero selected.
SLOT # (0-11) - This event affect the slot assignment of that specific player in the order of the Lobby (see diagram below)

![Slot Assignments](http://www.mystgraphics.com/OverwatchForumImages/Workshop/SlotAssignments.jpg)

PLAYER DEALT FINAL BLOW
The PLAYER DEALT FINAL BLOW event attribute will affect the specified players who successfully dealt the lethal damage against another player in the game environment.

Definitions
Team
Players

PLAYER DEALT DAMAGE
The PLAYER DEALT DAMAGE event attribute will affect the specified players who successfully dealt damage against another player in the game environment.

Definitions
Team
Players

The PLAYER TOOK DAMAGE event attribute will affect the specified players who received damage in the game environment.

Definitions
Team
Players

PLAYER DIED
The PLAYER DIED event attribute will affect the specified players who died in the game environment.

Definitions
Team
Players

CONDITIONS

Conditions are optional definitions which determine if the event is to trigger the action or not. These are done by comparing one value to another and seeing if the condition is true. You can list multiple conditions in any given event. Here are the list of conditions.

== (Equal To) - The first value equals to the second value. For example: 2 == 2 would qualify that condition.
!= (Not Equal To) - The first value does not equal to the second value. For example: 2 != 3 would qualify that condition.
< (Less than) - The first value is of lesser amount to that of the second value. For example: 2 < 3 would qualify that condition.
<= (Less than or equal to) - The first value is of lesser amount to that of the second value. For example: 2 <= 3 or 2 <= 2 would qualify that condition.
> (Greater than) - The first value is of greater amount to that of the second value. For example: 3 > 2 would qualify that condition.
>= (Greater than or equal to) - The first value is of greater amount to that of the second value. For example: 3 > 2 or 3 >= 2 would qualify that condition.

Additional Sections may be added later on.

Reformatted using regexp, as per this suggestion.

No Trust level 3 access yet, so images have been surrounded by

[code][/code]