Wiki Problem (Level 3) Mods please check

Hello. Yesterday, I wrote a Markdown Guide thread and I converted it to a wiki. However, the current wiki setting is pretty useless, if it is used correctly. The reasons are as follow:

When a thread does not receive regular replies, it eventually hides down from other more active threads. However,
- wikis are not meant to receive comments;
- they need to be visible, so they can remain up-to-date;
- as time passes, the rate of updates decreases;

So, the only viable way to keep a proper wiki alive is necroing, which is prohibited.

Trust Level 3 provides us powerful tools to create guides, wikis, howto et cetera. It is a shame to use those tools only to help others to post their links or images and post memes.

Thus, I suggest to create a new tab for wiki, guide, tutorial, art and hero concept threads. High trust level users would be able to vouch to move such threads and pin them there. Moderators will take the final decision, because we have seen in the past that sometimes users can be easily biased. Also, vouchers can be able to vote for a wiki to be removed (outdated, inadequate etc) and we will be able to concentrate and share our knowledge there.

What do you think? Would a tab like this be useful in forums or will it abused? Do you have any other idea or concept to propose regarding wikis?

Thread examples:
Forum HTML Tutorial by Dr4gon97
The Overmoji Cafe by Ivan and other contributors
Forum Markdown Guide

5 Likes

When I made my thread a wiki, pretty much all of the content ended up getting deleted (someone managed to get it back tho)

That is the problem with wikis, they are easily griefed. It would be nicer if there was a way to choose who is able to edit wikis :slight_smile:

Or maybe anyone could edit but the creator of the thread has to give permission for something to he added in the wiki

2 Likes

I agree, even though I don’t currently have a wiki of my own, I like the idea mentioned and think it should happen.

Chibifox Approves.

This would be Quite the useful feature.

2 Likes

That’s true. There are ways to improve that; an open wiki should be editable by everyone, but it needs supervision in order to not misinform people and avoid griefing.

Your thread started as an “emoji lab”, but it ended to discuss various topics. If the users were posting only ready-to-use emojis, the thread would have been dead long time ago, which is a shame.

Which one? Can you give us a link?

Yeah we changed it to a emoji Café so we could discuss overwatch stuff but also create new emojis. Everyday new emojis are added and we made huge improvements to the copy pasting of emojis yesterday. But yeah, maybe without this flexibility it would be dying

2 Likes

Nuu! The cafe must nevah Die!

Where else would i get mah Bastion Beans…?! ;-;

Pardon? Link to what? I’m talking about what the OP said. I agree with it?

Thanks for your support

It won’t die don’t worry

1 Like

Hooray… Selective blindness confirmed! Sorry… :confused:

1 Like

Perhaps don’t even make it a forum of stickies, but an actual wiki instead. The wiki’s can be sorted by their popularity based on views and likes instead of replies.

Indeed… This page may give the editors further tools, such as full HTML, CSS or even LaTeX to create proper wiki pages. However, I trust the current trust level system, because lvl 4 is granted manually and I believe it would be integrated in those wikis.

Yup, that is pretty annoying. Wiki’s are supposed to be important topics, yet they are often buried. Again, the issue of shunting (almost) EVERYTHING into a single category (General Discussion).

Frustrating. However, at least it is possible to see who edited what, so there is a record of changes and you don’t lose everything forever. It still would be nice to not have to resort to such measures though.

2 Likes

I think our guides will always be there when people need them anyway, they just need to do a quick search.
While I get your point, I believe that pinning guides may cause a subforum to become excessively crowded even when there’s not a real need for it.

I feel like it’s more useful to remind users to bookmark any thread they feel it could be useful to them in the future via browser or with our forum’s bookmark feature.

Bookmarks are pretty inconvenient in mobile tho’.

Nevertheless, moderators payed a visit and both threads pinned!

Using the bookmark feature in mobile takes a ton of time compared to PC, indeed :joy: