Why was sombras ultimate line changed? (Alexis!) (Michael Chu responded)

It was changed bcs it was too long.

Literally, it translates as “Back into the midnight.”

Or at least that’s what GCSE Spanish has taught me.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought it was “Vamos”, instead of “Volvamos”. My mistake

It is honestly probably an expression that makes sense in Spanish, but when translated, it gives it a weird connotation in English.

That’s what I meant, sorry. I would not say impossible but definitely very unlikely and devoid of meaning. I just didn’t want to completely shut down OP without having proof of her not saying that.

2 Likes

Close, vayamos is let’s go. We go would be Nosotros vamos/vamos (nosotros usually omitted).

We go into the midnight does sound like a much cooler translation, though.

1 Like

Right. I mistook the word anyway. :sweat_smile:

If I’m not mistaken, nosotros is excluded because it doesn’t make much sense when the word has the correct form.

Like how “Odio” means “I hate” but “Me Odio” means “I hate myself.”

Or am I getting this wrong again?

all you said is correct

I didn’t get particularly good grades in literature and language, but from what I understand you’re saying, you’re right.

Like, in english you have to say “she/he hates the color green”. You can’t omit the she/he.

But in spanish you can just say “(ella/el) odia el color verde” with the possibility to omit ella/el. You know it’s referring to a singular someone else, since “Odio (verb)” would be referring to yourself, and “odian” to multiple people.

2 Likes

The devs must have just liked Apagando Las Luces better, or they thought Volvamos a la medianoche was too much of a mouthful

The “medianoche” or midnight that Sombra refers to in that voiceline is actually the name given to the period of time in Mexico after the omnic crisis. The war had ravaged the country energy grid and infrastructure, and most of it was plunged in the darkness without powers for several years, hence the name midnight, and why Sombra used this quote in development since she uses EMP. It’s also why the energy company LumériCo plays such a big role in Mexico, since the basically rebuilt the country.

“Volvamos a la Medianoche” was a bit too long and a moutful, which is probably why they didn’t use it, which is a shame because I really like it. I like her referencing lore event, and it ties in into her “down with the man”, neutral chaotic attitude.

8 Likes

It’s a bit long winded for quite an ultimate which is a quick burst.

Translation isn’t supposed to be literal → the translator is a liar.

1 Like

I also said, when I gave my translation:

And

So you’re trying to discuss with me something I never said nor implied…

Oops, did I trigger someone ? Don’t try to pick a fight. I just pointed out that whenever translation is brought up there’s always people arguing over the “right” translation even though languages weren’t excatly designed to translate to each other smoothly and there’s rarely a “right” translation. Literal or not, there’s no point in bringing up every translation option possible.

How was what I answered in any way an attempt to pick up a fight? I simply explained what I said wasn’t to discard someone else’s translation, which you implied.

Does defending or explaining oneself nowadays means an intent to attack the other party? Because I did not mean that.

I did not bring up every translation option possible. Nor did I intent to make it feel like I was acting superior, I apologize if it seemed that way.

You anwsered with a longer comment than expected, with several quotes and “…” at the end of your sentence, which is usually a triggered person’s response. Since this exchange is being made with written words, you can’t judge someone’s state of mind on much else.

You brought up another translation despite the first one being clear enough. No real harm in that. I just think it’s exhausting to see the same arguments being made repeatedly and my fingers itch to answer something to derail it.

Barely any words in my comment, two quotes.

The dots were to show confusion, I do not know if it being considered salty is a cultural thing, I’m lost.

I also had already stopped writing in this thread hours ago. There was no need to derail something that wasn’t in motion.

I assume this was all a misunderstanding. I’m not salty, triggered, nor do I want to fight you. I just want you to understand what I did was of no ill intent.

Have a nice day.

You pretty much hit it. When we were testing the two lines, we felt that “Apagando las luces” worked a little better as an ult line compared to the other. Would have loved to keep the story reference in, but ultimately (groan) it lives on as a voice line.

80 Likes

Mind if I ask my own Sombra question?

Just what is on her back? Is it some kind of fancy computer or something else?

2 Likes

I always thought it was her translocator, now I’m curious too.

Maybe a something something energy core to power her electronics?

2 Likes