Why was PBSR removed for Diamond and above?

how would you design a matchmaking system for Overwatch?

no?

pbsr is there to get players on the outer margins of the SR range faster to their appropriate skill rating

it’s an anti smurf tool basically

and mmr is not a handicap, it’s just a way to measure your skill, which is clearly more than just one number

1 Like

I have the following current stats.

• on this account a current 100% win rate 44 games in a row
  • my other account has ranked up nearly 1.1k in less than 3 days of just barely playing and the account has been hard locked in silver/gold forever.
  • overbuff/oversumo say that I’m playing above 90+% of people my rank as well on that account. yet it has always been hard stuck there.

I think if you don’t buy new accounts, or are new your stats will forever keep your account locked near where you are. but that’s my opinion I guess.

It’s just another layer in how the bulk of lower SR players don’t really understand this game and how it works. Whines about P-SR impact, when the game is already based on a winner take all system to it’s very core, is one of the biggest can’t see the forest for the trees issues in Overwatch.

To be fair, P-SR can feel terrible at times. Win gold medals, drop in SR anyways. Go 50/50 for the night? Drop SR. Win 3, but lose 2 and yeah, drop SR.

Everyone want to feel they are a player doing all the “little things” that helps win games but isn’t seen by the match maker or P-SR system!! How unfair to the player who wins but doens’t stat well. Yet of course in almost every case that player will not have a high winning record over 100s of games either.

The brutal truth is the game’s MMR/SR system doesn’t care about the slightly better than their peers player. That gold player who plays their heart out full try hard every game and wins at 52% with a dream of ranking up? System doesn’t care, you more or less stay gold as 52% isn’t a high enough win rate and in a way that’s brutally unfair to a certain type of player. As they are doing everything right but it’s still not good enough.

1 Like

you do realize there are top 500’s with 55% or less win rates on most of their main hero pools right?

@ DeadLamb-11334

if you read trueskill or glicko or any of the major ranked rule systems, you will notice that as you play a bunch the system’s uncertainty of your skill becomes lower.

the only solution is to play 5-6 games and make sure that when you win you are outperforming. Do that a few times and the uncertainty of your SR will increase, the matchmaker will then place you in higher games to check to see if perhaps you belong higher and to judge your performance there.

you aren’t locked at a particular rank. However, if you don’t play a lot it will feel that way. Play like 10 in a day and do well in the ones you win and you definitely won’t be hard stuck at that rank anymore

yeah that’s a given being at the peak of SR you are going to 50/50 out like everyone else. It doens’t change anything about this issue at all.

Players seem to need to win 55% or higher of all the games they play to smash out of the lower SR ranges. If they win around 50%-53% it’s seems to be seen as going 50/50, more or less, so they don’t move up in SR at all. Even if they do move up it’s going to be painfully slow.

I’ve seen 100s and 100s of accounts stat wise and almost every single one fallows the same basic pattern. The player doesn’t play enough games or win enough games. Yet think the issue is a whole lot of other stuff. It’s not, at all. They just don’t play and win enough games.

yeah I noticed that. I used to just do placements and 3-5 games and quit. Ive played a little bit more and jumped 1k I just dont have the time to invest like 20+ games a day especially with having to hard carry dps mains.