Why was PBSR removed for Diamond and above?

correct your analogy goes along with team formation and it’s a good one, however, making the contestants fully aware of the scoring system trumps all other things.

if they made the PBSR formula public knowledge, would team formation not work the same? youre just arguing hiding for hiding’s sake.
And if you say it can be exploited if made public, it must be reengineered so it can’t be exploited.

You must make contestants aware of the rules, you’ll never change my mind.

Just making the statement “triumphs all else”, doesn’t make it so. I’m saying from a business standpoint it should be hidden, because you don’t want others stealing your formula. You’re asking a restaurant for their recipie

I’m not arguing from a business standpoint, I’m arguing from a competitive standpoint.

There are reasons from a business standpoint to not do so, they don’t get thrown away just because there are other reasons to. Only a very, very small handful actually ask for it to be seen. It’d benefit you in no way other than “because I want to”

the purpose of this post is not to benefit me personally. The purpose of this post is to show blizz that having secret scoring is in poor form.

You’ve only claimed it to be, you have not backed it up

I’d like you to name another game on planet earth where full disclosure of the rules is absent.

I’ll answer my own question, the Olympic sports that have judges, gymnastics, diving, ski jumping. Guide lines exist for scoring, but in the end it comes down to the judges. gymnastics and scoring is stupid imo, foot races and a stopwatch are awesome imo.

This is all I’m saying, a lot of people like diving, I’m assuming the people who like to watch diving competitions don’t care too much on the subject of game theory.

Conclusion: The closest real life sport to Overwatch is synchronized swimming.

You’re very unintelligent adult or maybe a child, if this is honestly your view point. You’re asking for something really dumb, but you’re making it seem convoluted for no reason. It’s a business, you signed an agreement when you hit “accept”. You’re comparing apples to oranges, just stop. There is no benefit you get from knowing the formula for PBSR, you play under the same rules as everyone else. PBSR helps you if you’re actually a good player, it doesn’t hinder you as you wish it did.

Players Gold and below have an extremely poor level of skill, you all think you’re good, when in fact you’re not. You may think fortifying a location is good all the time with bastion, but it’s clearly not working for you, and you stick with it right? Because you think your right, but bastion is an easy target to counter, especially if your team doesn’t play around you.

Enough about you and back to your silly understanding of PBSR. If you swap heroes with PSBR and are smurf you’ll Rank up faster, as stats are tracked per minute played. Swapping a hero doesn’t reset your SR gain, so even in PBSR I can swap 10 different heroes and still dominate I will receive 30+ SR.

1 Like

stop making this personal, it’s about game theory.

gymnastics is stupid and foot races are awesome, that’s all i’m saying

You’re comparing a rock to a fruit in taste, just stop. Now, you’re purposely being facetious and malicious.

1 Like

i sent you a friend request. I would prefer to talk instead of type

i never understand why people want pbsr removed below diamond.

in low-mid plat, when a player has a bad game they get like 1/3 as many kills as normal and die a few extra times. In gold and below, 1/2 of the players there have zero effect on the game over a 12 minute round. they get 0 killing blows, spam healing or wander in circles while dying…and then touch an opponent that their teammate was going to kill anyway so that they can say they got silver elims later.

pre-gold there are too many players who honestly would belong lower, but get carried because gold is so random. PBSR is what gets the better players out of gold.

Otherwise the forced losses from players that from having several players that get 0 kills in 10+ minutes would make it incredibly difficult and random to get out of unless you were at least diamond level.

honestly, I would prefer a pbsr system if overwatch just didn’t have this awful role swapping system.

without swaps, you can have MMR based off of role or even pre-match character selection. then you don’t have 3000 level tank players swapping to their 2000 level hanzo mid-match and effectively throwing the game.

if they add in a role base queue and don’t design the game around swapping characters, then it would be totally fine to have PBSR because there would be no need to motivate players to swap.

However, in its current iteration, if you have PBSR at higher ranks, everyone just plays what they are good at, then when it’s clear they are going to lose cause they don’t have enough healers and tanks, the game of chicken begins.

Who will break first and swap off to save the team while taking increased risk at no personal benefit?

There are other negative effects too. Oh we lost the first two fights with no kills. Hmm, let’s swap off and just play all dps so that when we lose we might get less SR loss.

I really hope overwatch gets scrapped soon, so that another game that isn’t based around swapping can take its place. adding in character swapping was the worst competitive design decision ever for a ladder-based game. But maybe the swapping adds variety to overwatch league at least.

Unfortunately paladins just doesn’t have the player base to compete.

What is PBSR? dot dot dot…

this is why you and I disagree on PBSR. I like the hero swapping system and I actually think No Limits should be brought back to Competitive.

You’re saying PBSR doesn’t work with hero swapping and I agree. I say get rid of PBSR and you say change hero swapping. Just a difference of opinions.

Player Based Skill Rating. Let’s say you get 25 SR for a win. Let’s say that game you played above average. (Blizz keeps track of your peers.) About 2 out of those 25 SR points were gained because you preformed well i.e. elims damage healing deaths etc. And the other 23 SR points were awarded for the actually win.

Thanks.
dot
dot dot
dot

While we can’t be certain what percentage of our SR comes from being on a favored or unfavored team, I think we can be pretty certain that the performance SR difference was not 2 SR points.

I would personally gauge it to be at least 10, when outperforming in a game. However, I could easily see it being up to 20 if you are playing in a game 1000 points outside your actual skill level

the devs had said it was a very small amount that PBSR contributes.

just watched a vid. A great reason for PBSR to be around is that it makes it harder to boost players by grouping i.e. a Plat grouping up with a bronze to carry him. PBSR does a great job of making it harder for the bronze to rank up. This is awesome! This amazing! I still think PBSR should be scrapped.

that does not match player experience. I think what the devs meant is that the amount PBSR contributes is relatively small unless the player is playing way outside of his skill range.

I have several smurf accounts (5 actually), and you definitely get more than a tiny amount when you outperform. i’d say 7-10 is normal on the first game. But after that it gets hard to judge how much is from PBSR and how much is because you are winning games where the opponent’s average MMR is much higher than your current SR.

However, even 7 SR is a much larger effect than it seems because I can reduce my SR loss by that much as well. So you actually have to lose 2 games while playing outstanding to cause you to fall as much as the one you won while playing outstanding.

However, reality is it’s of limited use in overwatch because if your teammates give up and go to the 5dps comp, then no one is going to get good stats

ok thanks for clearing that up. #PBSRdoublehockeysticks

There is no legitimate reason for PBSR. It exists to dampen the effects of MMR, which is a form of handicapping.