Why there are two competitive modes?

My ears often swallow because of earphones, so I don’t want to play red competitive, and in diamond+ you must have earphones to survive. And I want to just have fun in QP without earphones, but it’s so god dam sweaty.

Why QP was so fun in OW1, but so tryhard in OW “2” ? I understand that at least some balance needed, but this is too much. I get hard countered, like every match 2-3 enemies will go reaper bastion and JQ. I don’t say they are not allowed to do that, it’s just everyone is hard countering each other, yelling at each other. It’s bad, very bad. I hope the steam players who will join in August 10 will very quickly understand what’s happening and just quit.

1 Like

SR based matchmaking in OW1, MMR based matchmaking in OW2. And they use the same Matchmaking for QP as Comp in OW2

I really don’t understand this take. Like, what do you expect people to do if you are rolling them with a hero? Just sit back and give you a free win? Of course they’re gonna counter you. Why would they just let you win? Who are you that your enjoyment is more important than theirs? Losing sucks. Nobody wants to lose, so obviously people are going to fight back. You laid down a challenge, they responded by picking things to fight you better, now it’s your turn to do the same.

It’s not personal, you’re not special, people don’t want to lose, so they’ll do what it takes to win. Especially with xp on the line.

7 Likes

You understand this take, it’s just you only quoted the parts that can be purposely misrepresented and purposely misunderstood.

Okay, so you’re playing Ball and rolling over Blue team supports. They can’t swap to Sombra to stop you and try to win? Because apparently only you are allowed to have fun and the minute the enemy challenges you so that they can have fun and win, suddenly they’re sweaty players counter-picking you?

Just because it’s QP doesn’t mean people are gonna sit back and let people roll over them. Ain’t nobody out there your doormat. Sorry that you don’t wanna wear your earphones but that’s literally nobody else’s problem. Go mess around in custom lobbies, QP is for playing the game.

Again, you either don’t understand or pretend that you don’t understand.

Nah, I get it. You just want to play the way you want but you also want to complain that other people play the way they want. Because that is a reasonable and logical thing to do.

Again, go to custom games if you have a problem with how people play in QP. It literally exists for your exact situation.

1 Like

You don’t. Absolutely

Match making in OW1 was MMR based too.

1 Like

More like:

Why are there any competitive modes in OW2 while the game is such a farce?

1 Like

no, it was SR based. And we saw that number before every match. And we saw it go up and down every match. We knew where we stood going into a match. We knew the SR of the players we were playing with, and against.

Jeff kaplan is on record saying MMR is used in matchmaking

MMR works very similarly to SR. There are some minor differences that make it feel worse though, when you just watch that number. For example, it’s possible to win a match and not gain any MMR. We make it so that if you win a match, you always gain SR – even if it’s just a little bit – to feel psychologically rewarding. But MMR’s entire goal is creating fair matches – which isn’t always fun to look at and certainly not “rewarding” for players looking for pats on the back or a sense of progression. So SR “chases” your MMR very closely, except in a rare case of severe SR decay at GM/Masters/Diamond level of play.

Jeff kept saying things like “SR chases your MMR” back in the day so in most cases your MMR and SR were close enough

Say what you will about the OP in the thread below, but he’s very good at documenting what the devs have said about matchmaking

1 Like

thanks for the info. I was clearly missing something. Brings new understanding to just how bad OW2 has f’d this up. Because in all of OW1, MMR was so unnoticeable and in the background, matchmaking felt great, most of the time… Not once have I thought that during OW2.

1 Like

It was MMR based
SR, like the silly rank badges now, was just a visual indicator and a reference used to pad people’s egos.

…What does this mean? Do you mean repressurise? Headphones would solve that.

…It was still tryhard in OW1, just a little less so.

Welcome to Overwatch 2, the game that claimed to be reducing hard counters yet gave us such hits as Kiriko, Hinder Cole Cassidy, Mei’s new freez-

At the same time, it is more common than it was in OW1. Counters have become stronger han ever before. Rock Paper Shotgun is the new way to play and it’s just sweatier.