Why the hate against BPs?

I really don’t understand the hate against battle passes… these will most likely only be limited to optional cosmetics

Unless they end up adding something like premium ammunition or upgrades looks at WoT

Look, I’m an old school player. I prefer to pay for something once and get the full deal (I only play old games and I still buy iTunes songs individually lol) but I completely understand that the most profitable gaming business strategy is F2P with in game micro transactions.

And OW2 will be free to play regardless, none of us will have to spend a single dollar on it. Unless you literally just bought the game then it’s fair to say that we all got out moneys worth especially if we’ve been playing for years.

If F2P ends up producing the most content and attracting a lot more players, then what’s the main issue with F2P?

18 Likes

my issue with BP is that effectively you are paying so you can then grind. Can’t grind on time? you waste money.
Plus they make you think they’re a good deal but they actually make you buy stuff you don’t care about. Realistically there’s one, maybe two skins you care about and would pay for, but now you have to also buy other skins/cosmetics you don’t care about to get to the ones you really want.

It feels like paying to turn the game into a job and at least to me, feeling forced to grind to get my money’s worth makes the game less fun.

67 Likes

My only issue with Battle Passes, is that in Apex/Paladins, if you buy a Battle Pass, and you haven’t completed it by the time the season ends, then you lose access to that Battle Pass.

If they made it so that Battle Passes don’t expire after the season ends, like Halo Infinite, then I got no complaints.

41 Likes

And here’s why. Gaming quality and integrity sacrificed for those sweet, sweet dollars. I don’t want to have to pay to unlock things. I already pay a monthly sub on WoW, now I have to pay a bimonthly sub on OW, or I don’t get any of the stuff everyone else around me, that’s happy to throw cash at a greedy company, gets? I just want to play the game and have the ability to unlock everything, reasonably, through playing the game. Is that so much to ask for? How about just wanting things to stay how they have been for half a decade? I don’t even want to move to OW2, but Blizz is forcing me by deleting OW1. Warcraft 3: Reforged all over again.

9 Likes

The whole premise of a BP is to offer incentives outside the match itself and make people play when they don’t want to play. This compromises competitive integrity- in Siege I’ve seen people basically throw games trying to get pistol kills because that’s what the weekly challenge is and they want the exp bonus. Now imagine this mess when money and sunk cost fallacies are involved.

18 Likes

Incidentally, I expect a “Win 5 games as Support to get 5 premium currency coins” as a daily mission, for everybody, regardless of if they have the paid battle pass or not.

Since Support is expected to be the queue times bottleneck moving forward.

1 Like

I’m just tired of time sinks.

I’m most concerned with the threat of smurfing. A huge influx of people playing around gold matches for placements and taking forever to get to the level they need to be.

You watch some unranked to GM plays and they might place at highest 2900 or like just barely into diamond. These are like master level players ruining and infiltrating games that they need to get shuffled around much faster to achieve where they should be.

Which is really an issue with the match makiner not letting people get to where they need to be quickly enough. It even affects more quick play matches because a person has to level an acoun to lv25 in order to even get into competitive.

2 Likes

yea im an old player myself and gone are the days of old where you buy a game once and that was it. single player games i guess. then dlc happened a continuation of a game after the release. new content but at a price. i was like ok i guess… as long as the content is good and not the same as the original game. of course companies would be smart about it make both before hand and split it for 2 additional costs lol. then live service happened, early access, betas, free to play with battle pass, so basically the big companies can make half a game and charge you before they release it or release it half finished

i mean if you think about it games always had some sort of monetization. arcades were the biggest culprit then home consoles happened. with home consoles tho its usually cheap hardware like cheap game controllers that were made like that on purpose so you end up buying tons of contollers eventually heh

it is capitalism and its your choice how to spend $$. cant blame companies if people give them money hell i would pay for a mercy bikini skin to be honest :grin:

7 Likes

This is less of a problem- being relatively short and occurring daily means that won’t really matter if you skip a few, and exerts far less undue influence over choosing to play or not, while making it win based preserves competitive integrity, in a way that “get 5 environmental kills” wouldn’t.

1 Like

Hate towards battle passes mostly stem from their reputation and initial concept. Which is to allow players to grind for exclusive items for a fee.

That said not all battle passes are the same, my personal favorite ones are from Halo MCC and Warframe. However at the same time there have been more battle passes that aim to increase your loot grind while also charging you for it. With the sole purpose to produce profits for the company.

Really, they are charging you for content. Some people feel that said content should instead be given an upfront cost or even given for free. If you really like a skin but its locked behind a battle pass you will not only need to pay for it but grind as well.

Personally I am fine with battle passes for the most part. The grinding could be fun and even rewarding at times. Plus depending on the pricing, you might even get more than what you are initially would pay. Of course you would still need to play and grind to make the pass worthwhile. So passes do have their pros, as well as cons.

1 Like

same same. i miss the philosophies of the old games over a decade ago. nowadays, companies keep putting off less and less effort and content into their games, and yet they wanna keep overcharging you with countless amounts of microtransactions and all of that other crap. DLC back then was fine imo, but nowadays theyre just charging you for every single little thing, often trivial things. Cant forget that moment in COD (i think this was BO4) where you have to pay money to get a standard red dot reticle sight??? like really?

6 Likes

Why is this so hard, i dont want games to be free to play, i want NO live service, i want obe time purchases of pvp games with everything included, anything new can be added in the sequels

5 Likes

I’ve seen complaints alreafy from paying fall guys community members because their new bp system is super gated…

As in they put artificial caps into how much progress you can make in a day….so that the grind is super long

Unless you pay for bp skips of course (which of course they have available)

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This means decades of game development though. It means for like 6 or 7 or more years you’re stuck with what you got in that initial purchase. Would a game like Overwatch still be played if 6 years later we still only had the original launch heroes?

1 Like

Because at it’s core it’s about getting less and paying more. While not every one pays into MTX, enough do that it earns them more money than selling the game for $60. Think about it, the millions of dollars they used to make are over shadowed by those “totally optional cosmetic” items.

That in nearly all cases the game suffers due to decisions designed to make people buy more MTX also hurts. Plus games don’t last forever, especially free to play games.

You spend all this time and money “earning” things that have no value and the company can delete at any time. Some games can count their life span in a few weeks to a month if their launch is bad enough.

While I highly doubt OW 2 will be that short, it’s still not a great thing for a games longevity to entirely rely on a company’s servers. Though if you look at Overwatch 1… that game was only really supported for a bout 2 years despite all the money it made.

By year 3 they were looking into OW2 and development of the base game died off harshly between OW2 and OWL. When even one of the best selling games of it’s time only gets support for about 2 years you have way to much faith in a F2P game getting supported for years to come.

7 Likes

The only problem I’ve ever had with bp’s is that I rarely enjoy the games that they’re in so i could never really finish one…

The quality of bp’s seem to vary pretty hard though… like fortnites bp is amazing because its full of really nice cosmetics that you can earn just by playing… while on the other hand, there’s halo infinite who’s bp is absolutely terrible because not only are the cosmetics are pretty average/underwhelming, you can only progress the bp by doing specific challenges…

Which, thankfully, the devs answered the in reddit ama that they won’t be doing hero specific challenges or anything in their bp…

1 Like

They wouldn’t have left this game with no more heroes if ow2 didn’t exist….in fact I’m pretty sure echo was supposed to be a OW2 hero….

Im sure we would’ve gotten sojourn and junker anyway

Because the more popular characters will be likely to get stuff in a battle pass, which are usually filled with fluff to pad it up like weapon charms.

If you play a niche hero you probably aren’t getting a mythic skin or an award you want for them for a while. This will be less appealing to the many one tricks in the community.

Plus you are paying to then grind out in a time sink otherwise you aren’t getting those rewards. Unless they do a Halo infinite and keep the older battlepasses on going, then that content will otherwise be lost or sold back into the shop at a mark up. Like how fortnite and sometimes Apex does it.

It’s sad how fall guys has sunk :pensive:

Its like when assassin’s creed started selling xp boosters because they made the leveling bad on purpose just to sell them.

Plus they’d ban any user content that awarded too much xp because people used it to bypass the bad leveling system.

5 Likes

In the AMA yesterday, they’ve stated that there won’t be such specific assignments, as they would most definitely negatively impact the games.

1 Like

Personally I am betting they don’t expire for a long period of time, like three seasons.

1 Like