Why smurfing is worse than cheating

not everyone is as miserable as you. im sorry for you.

2 Likes

I am currently working on some statistics about smurfs/alts, toxic players and leaver (no matter which team) in my low-mid diamond games. Since I only have 12 games (dps Q) so far, I won’t open a thread yet, but I will do so when I reach at least 30 games and publish my spreadsheet where I track the single matches. Consider also that there might have been several matches with no toxic person and then one match with many (usually the ones where my team is losing or where we got many alt accounts).

Also, mid Diamond is a good rank to track non main accounts, because almost nobody gets the first time to Diamond in less than 100 levels. Many low level accounts are not incredibly better than the rest at my elo, I would say some hundred SR at most, so I label them as alt/smurf.

Current stats:

• at least one alt/smurf each match
  • 8.3% probability so far to get a leaver
  • 75% of some toxicity

I was actually surprised that I am guaranteed of having a non-main account each match in my elo. Even if they are not smurfing, they care less on those accounts and they don’t care about getting banned. This fosters bad behaviour, people not trying their best or just warming up and contributes to inconsistent matches.

I don’t care about my SR, since it will rise when I improve, but the amount of alternative accounts and how little Blizzard cares about them is bothering me. They even answered in a customer support answer that it’s ok to just continue on another account after being banned.

3 Likes

Smurfs make you a better player

There is no current solution for this iteration of the game… BUT if Blizzard is smart they’ll learn from this and make multi-accounting very unappealing in Overwatch 2.

They can never stop it, but if somehow starting over from scratch is unappealing then it would discourage this significantly. If they instill a lot of value in sense of time investment in 1 account, people are far less likely to bother with another account.

Maybe when OW2 goes live they’ll introduce a system that is somehow in place for both, unlikely but it may not even matter at that point, everyone will be on OW2.

2 Likes

Smurfs make you a better player. Dont presume to speak for everyone.

Smurfs drive you away from the game. See, I can do it too.

3 Likes