Why punish good players with bad teamates?

I know your pain all too well hugs

I as a level 1700+ Mercy Main that has played in literally all Seasons, try my hardest every game yet see the same occurrences you have as well, my only success has been in a duo, solo queue is never the way to go, out of my 10 placement matches as tank and healer, I’ve witnessed 3 trolls so far, but 2-2-2 has only just started, can’t say for sure if this will get better or worse

although my theories and worries have basically been correct with accordance with the 2-2-2 method, where say you have someone who doesn’t play that role correctly because they just chose it to practice, they can’t switch off the role even if they are doing terribly, so flexing is totally out the window to help them switch off the said role, there are so many flaws still to deal with that’s becoming an issue with 2-2-2 in general although I agree with the idea of not having 5dps while I solo heal as I always say, a solution always comes with lots of issues that may or may not have exploits or negative consequences

I sympathize, I really do. I’ve lost multiple games today because no matter how hard I play I can’t compensate for teammates who trickle endlessly on koth maps, for example, and those losses feel pretty bad. But SOMEone is winning games at your rank even with garbage tier players all over the place. This time the garbage players are on your team, but they’re just as likely to end up on the other team next time. Only thing I can say is to throw out the idea that you NEED to win, and just play your best, try to have fun, and work on improving your own play.

It would be nice if the SR at the end of the match took into consideration the medals earned by each player on the team. So if there was a garbage team of 5 players, but the 6th guy worked his butt off and earned 4 gold and 1 silver during their loss, then that guy should have his SR not drop nearly as much as the guys who didn’t earn a single medal for any category. This is what drives me nuts about the matchmaking system. Good players need to be compensated for the inconsistent matchmaking algorithm, and balancing the SR reward based on medals earned would go a long way because more people would start trying.

1 Like

That IS how it works, at least below like Diamond. I just lost a game on Widow where I popped tf off, had gold damage over our Bastion, and my team just couldn’t follow through. I lost… 11 SR.

The reason you may have lost less SR is because there’s the possibility that the opposing team had a higher combined SR than your team and you were “expected” to lose. The same way if you would have won you might have been rewarded with more SR than usual. I appreciate the reply but it sounds like more speculation than actually knowing for a fact that Blizzard designed the SR reward system with medals in mind.

1 Like

You don’t, your team does. Why do you imagine that your teammates are worse than you? Maybe your SR fluctuates greatly because you tilt easily, or have an attitude that causes you to give up if your team doesn’t do what you want?

Medals mean nothing. In fact, they should be removed from the game during a match, and replaced with the ability to review statistics after the match is completed. They should probably remove cards at the end of the match too. Mostly these are tools used by toxic people to blame their teammates for losing.

You are mistaken. It simply tries to make the match have 12 people with the same MMR.

No.

PBSR is based on your performance relative to other people playing that hero in your rank, not relative to the people in your match. You gain more SR on a win where you outperformed other people in your rank, and you lose more SR when you underperformed. Also, in the case when they weren’t able to find 12 people that were perfectly even on MMR, you gain more SR when the other team had an MMR advantage over you and you won, and lose more SR when you had an advantage but still lost.

There may be turmoil as people return to the game, or play placements with inaccurate MMR values, but this happens at the beginning and end of every season. It’s not Role Queue’s fault for people having inaccurate MMR, in fact, it’s solving the Flex problem where people play better on X role, and maybe their SR / MMR reflect that excellence, but when they are required to flex to a role they’re not as good at. The off-role but same MMR / SR problem is more significant than we were able to see before. Back then, we just blamed it on the 3 DPS players, or the DPS Moira, or NAME ANY OTHER SCAPEGOAT. Now, it’s 2-2-2 every game, so you can’t blame someone for picking “the wrong role” according to whomever is being toxic and demanding other people switch.

2 Likes

Vurg, thanks for all the links, especially while I was afk. Please see the updated version at How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 18).

that’s the issue, it’s not “just one game” it’s consistently happening, I have off days as well, but I try and keep it together, and constantly communicate openings etc to the team, or at least to the few that are actually listening to team chat. Am I a pro? absolutely not, but it’d be nice to know your team actually has a shot at taking a win instead of trying in the middle of a prolonged downward spiral

1 Like

but winning should make an equal amount of sr as losing

1 out of 3 games ive had someone leave in the past few days, so while that technically isnt throwing, it kinda still is and has become way too common and has killed any chance of climbing up in sr especially since ive won every single game without someone leaving. the whole system needs to be fixed to stop punishing peoiple if someone leaves

https:// patents.google. com/patent/ US20160005270A1/en

remove the spaces read line 15 or 16 also just read alot of it it is completely flawed their system

2 Likes

im 2300 on open queue and i get people that play competitive for the first time, no comms, no teamwork, and when we get 4 dps i switch and ask someone to switch with me and everyone flames me. The games are unwinnable, few games ago i got 15k dmg w pharah and i killed 4 w my ult in the final fight and we still lost and my team blames me for that. Absolute bs.

Game still sucks i take it?

how do you think matchmaker balances teams when your mmr rises significantly and your sr doesnt? It’s goal is to create a match where both teams have 50% chance to win? How do you think it reconciles that when your mmr rises significantly?

1 Like

Never a shortage of snowflakes around the Overwatch community.

You replied to a 3 year old comment

Also, skill issue

1 Like

oh hey that is old look at me go

This is a real issue in lower ranks. You stomp your first login game => next game you get bronze dps (I was G2) who hadn’t played for 4-5 SEASONS on your team. THEY NEED TO start matching the teams/roles similarly => this matchmaking is not acceptable in any form. Furthermore, they also allow hiding of the profile for better matchmaking protection (with the excuse of blaming etc).

That’s what it used to create. Now it’s designed to create matches as fast as possible. No longer will it wait to see if someone might queue in your range.

Now it’s just who’s closest to your range as soon as the match can be created. This is generating wildy unbalanced games and we are seeing so many curbstomps for both sides.

the easy answer is IT MAKES BLIZZARD MONEY they dont give a crap about you or your experience like they used to … now they only care about whats in your bank account