Why pro play balance shouldnt matter

I know this is a hot take, but i think bottomline OW is still a game and people should be more interested in actually playing the game itself rather than just watching it.

29 Likes

Game should be balanced around gm/top 500 because it is feasibly attainable to anyone who picks up the game. The way OWL plays is just a dream that will never happen in the real game.

12 Likes

Well, I do have a way to solve the high tier issues, so they can finally get around to solving midtier tank issues.
Balancing to solve "Rein or Lose"

Unless this is a Sombra post, when really all you need for that is just more counterplay to EMP that Pros can use.
Then give her some buffs like faster movement speed, and tighter machine pistol spread.

Its really not.

The game should be balanced MOSTLY around high ranks, but with a secondary eye on low ranks and new players. You lose new players, your game dies.

19 Likes

I hope for separate balancing for OWL and ladder. I think it would be better for both groups.

2 Likes

This isnt just Sombra related. The devs did heavy game changing decision such as fundamental changes to how armor works in order to balance goats. Failed to do get it balanced but made the life of regular player all up to GM worse.

I mean the main problem was devs trying to solve GOATs and DoubleBarrier at medium range, meanwhile Brig, Mei, Accretion, ImmoField, and that Crazy knockback buff were the issue.

Not to mention Hanzo melting Tanks with bodyshots.

Or said another way,
Devs saw DoubleBarrier and WannabeGOATs comps, and thought “We need to nerf those at medium range”.

When the real problem was at close range. Primarily Brig,Mei, ImmoField, Accretion and that crazy knockbacks buff they did in 2019.

But yeah, Hanzo having a “destroy a Tank” button, didn’t help.

https://gfycat.com/pepperyoffbeatjackal

1 Like

The issue is that they balance for 6 stacks when ladder players are banned from stacking at all.

It’s completely unreasonable to balance heroes like Sombra for highly coordinated play in teams that practice together when we could never achieve that in a single match with randomers.

It should for sure be balanced around GM/Top 500 since you can achieve that.

5 Likes

I think balance should be concentrated around where the majority of players are. I dont understand why balancing should be done around the top %1 of players, if like 80% of players are in the gold-diamond range balance for the vast majority of players. Obviously keep the other ranks in mind, but when they balance around the top you get situations like with sombra (goodish in owl and gm, but basically useless everywhere else). Why should that be the case? Balancing around the ranks where the majority of players are will allow for the majority of players to enjoy the game.
and if the gm and owl players are so good, then they can deal with the changes made to balance the heroes around diamond and figure out how to make them work, they’ve got the skill

6 Likes

I dont mind to balance for high ranks. But it should be ranks not pro league.

6 Likes

I think balance should be around 2900-3300SR.

With +3500SR and higher than that having the equivalent of player selected hero bans.

4 Likes

yeah at least cap it at top500, i’ve hit it before (on support granted and low top500) and its not crazy different to the point where balancing there would be a lot better for lower ranks then the current balancing

DIamond should be fine, the jarring difference in hero viability from the general playerbase doesn’t happen until Masters.

People don’t want the game balanced around pros so they can watch more balanced OWL matches.

They want the game balanced around highest level of skill so you would have to climb with skills instead of with imbalanced heroes or game mechanics.

1 Like

Honestly the game should matter among the highest ranks. HOWEVER, they should be dictated by people with reasonable, honest, and unbiased takes to make heroes fair for all. But with the panel for instance, you can tell there was a lot of bias on some heroes and some good unbiased takes for others.

1 Like

Usually doesn’t sell well. From a business perspective, pro sports are the most marketable when the average viewer relates to what is being played, but at a much higher level. If you make the pro sport effectively a different game it turns off a number of viewers.

1 Like

Except at the highest level you can reach which is GM, the game doesnt play like pro play. Pro play balance does not mean balance for the highest ranks.

4 Likes

So lets sledgehammer nerf heroes like Torb, Junk and Pharah but buff heroes like Tracer and Widow through the roof? Get out of here.

No. Absolutely not.

The game should cater to gamers not viewers.

1 Like

Freaking lol. Top 500 by its very nature is already the outlier class. Silliest take I’ve heard in a while

3 Likes