Why Overwatch "Fair" Matchmaking is Anti-Fun

This post has nothing to do with “rigged” matches, it has to do with the fact that Overwatch dev team specfically has said matchmaking only looks for matches where each team has a 50% chance to win -

The simple and primary goal of our matchmaker is creating fair matches. To do that, it evaluates potential matches by synthesizing an expected win %. The matchmaker is normally really good about creating matches with a win % that is close to 50%

I’m discussing why this is bad for gaming and creates a toxic environment.

I’m a Masters player (100% solo queue, never cheated, never grouped, I use skill mechanical hero’s), if I put in more time and effort I’m confident I would make GM /brag#dontcare. I’ve put substantial efforts into becoming a good gamer. Part of the excitement of putting fort effort into getting better at something is knowing that your work will pay off, that if you get good enough you can play any game and be better than 90% of the people in any given random match. When I play other games like call of duty, fortnite, apex legends, counterstrike, I can go into almost any match and stand out as a great player and carry teams (there’s a point to me bragging I’ll get to here in a second), I don’t lose very often. I could literally hop in some games and go for days without losing a match, or possibly just win 90% of the games I play. Why? Because I earned it. I put in the work and time to get good enough to win all the time. Conversely there are people who haven’t put much time into gaming, they hop onto these games and lose 95% of the time, this is how it should be because you get out what you put in, that’s how life works, that’s what drives improvement in people.

In Overwatch this doesn’t happen. Overwatch is candy-land gaming where no matter how bad you are the matchmaker will find you a match where you can win about 50% of your matches because the matchmaker is designed to create “fair” matches. This means that someone who has practiced for years will win about as many games as a person who has practiced only a small amount, does that really sound fair??

Why should people who have put little efforts get the same amount of wins/satisfaction as people who have put in huge efforts? Nothing in life works like this. People who go to college and work hard make more money, people who are lazy and don’t put forth effort don’t make a lot of money. The great thing about it is the person who is lazy and not making money can change this as soon as they put in the appropriate amount of time and effort.

If Blizzard had its matchmaker performing economics then the person who has worked his butt off would make just as much money as the person who is lazy. What do you think that would do for society? If things worked like this then nobody would have incentive to work hard because we’re all making the same amount of money, or in the case of Overwatch few people would have incentive to try to win matches. This IS what’s going on with Overwatch right now. People either consciously or subconsciously realize that whether they play lazy or play hard they seem to stay at the same rank because every match is just a coin-flip, so why change hero’s? Why work with the team? None of it matters!!

The problem here is that “fair and balanced matches” SOUNDS good on paper and when spoken out loud, but it is NOT what is good for games. If a player is not good at gaming, he should log on, get placed into a random match, and probably lose almost every match he plays until he takes it upon himself to GET BETTER. Blizzard looks at this as a bad customer experience, and will place this bad player with players who can pick up his slack and make him feel like he’s doing better than he is. Ever wonder why everyone in this game thinks they are better than what they really are? It’s the matchmaking.

Conversely if a player has put in efforts to get good at gaming, he should win the majority of his matches because he will be, by law of numbers, typically one of the better players in the game.

On the other hand if a player is avg, he will win around 50% of his matches, naturally, without a matchmaker balancing anything whatsoever.

If the matchmaker stopped trying to force “fair” matches it would allow more creativity to happen in the game. You could actually work with a friend of yours to develop a strategy that wins matches over and over just because you’re being clever. Right now if you developed a clever strategy you could win some matches but the matchmaker will quickly realize that you are doing “something” that is winning more and you will be placed against teams that are good enough to cancel out your strategy. So then what’s the point of being creative? What’s the point in being clever?..or creating a special strategy? There’s no incentive! No matter what you do you will be placed in a match where you have a 50% chance of winning, so why put forth ANY effort to do something special?

Story time: I used to play Modern Warfare II and me and a friend created a strategy that was so clever and effective that we literally almost never lost a game ever. We worked on coordinating what to do in certain situations, when to use our specialties, etc etc. Even if we lost the scoreboard showed that we had 3x the kills of everyone else with almost no deaths, so even in a loss there was some “feel good” to it. None of this exists in Overwatch. Some of you might be thinking “what about GOATS?”. Go and try and run GOATS in comp, you will still win about as much as you lose unless you are playing on an downranked account/smurfing, the matchmaker will find a team that runs it just as well as you do. No matter what you do you’ll be in a “fair” match that you have a 50% chance of winning, so what’s the point of doing anything different or unique?

The “fair” matches that the matchmaker creates are not good for any game, it is toxic, just like if a person who worked hard and went to college made as much money as someone who sits at home doing nothing all day. I’m not saying we don’t need a matchmaker, I’m saying the matchmaker is doing TOO MUCH, it is forcing even matches no matter where you are, no matter what you do. The simplest way to put it, is a match in Masters is just as difficult to win as a match in Platinum - are the players better in Masters? Yes, but in both cases you have a 50% chance of winning.

**TLDR - This part probably illustrates my point the most:**

Why should people who have put little efforts get the same amount of wins/satisfaction as people who have put in huge efforts? Nothing in life works like this. People who go to college and work hard make more money, people who are lazy and don’t put forth effort don’t make a lot of money. The great thing about it is the person who is lazy and not making money can change this as soon as they put in the appropriate amount of time and effort .

If Blizzard had its matchmaker performing economics then the person who has worked his butt off would make just as much money as the person who is lazy. What do you think that would do for society? If things worked like this then nobody would have incentive to work hard because we’re all making the same amount of money , or in the case of Overwatch few people would have incentive to try to win matches. This IS what’s going on with Overwatch right now. People either consciously or subconsciously realize that whether they play lazy or play hard they seem to stay at the same rank because every match is just a coin-flip, so why change hero’s? Why work with the team? None of it matters!!

28 Likes

So basically you’re just upset that you can’t constantly stomp on people objectively worse than you? Is that right? You’re salty about being put against equal opponents and actually still having to work for a win? Yea, losing isn’t fun, which is why forcing 90% of the players to lose just so the top 10% can enjoy constant wins is a god-awful idea, especially for a business centered around enjoyment.

Not to mention, it’d also ruin the game for everyone, not just low ranks:

• Top players would get bored because competitive is no longer competitive or challenging. They would be practically guaranteed every win.
  • Bottom (and new!!!) players would quit so damn fast because it would be literally impossible for them to play the game
  • Middle players wouldn’t even bother because their games are no longer impacted by them, it’d just be an actual coin flip between how many Bronze’s vs GM’s do you have to deal with this time.

The only people who would benefit from a system as selfish as this are the scum that are already ruining the game with their smurfs.

I think I’ll pass.

Any form of competitive scenario works like this. You don’t let middle schoolers play in the NBA and say “lol if they work hard they’ll just stop losing”.

One of the core concepts of competition is fairness, which needs a standard of consistency. We can’t take a Wrecking Ball to the entire matchmaker just because you’re tired of losing.

24 Likes

Do you understand what is being said with the 50% win chance?

Team one average is 2690.
Team two average is 2620.

Team one is slightly favored to win. Its a roughly 50% chance for both teams since the sr is almost the same but not exactly 50% because the sr’s arent identical.

Thats literally it.

I find it weird when players try to spin it any other way.

18 Likes

It’s not forcing them to lose, it’s giving them as much as they have earned. If they get better they can win more. People who have put in the time deserve to be winning more often than people who haven’t put in the time. If you want a fake competitive game then go for it, a real competitive game drops you into the game and doesn’t try to make you feel like you’re better than you are. If you’re bad at APEX LEGENDS, you’re losing, over and over and over. If you’re good then you win over and over and over, AS A GOOD GAME SHOULD WORK.

Let’s be real, people are fed up with Overwatch, it will never be described as a good competitive experience and the game is dying so nobody is enjoying this garbage.

Top players wouldn’t get bored, we worked hard to get to a place where few can, we would continue to play because this is what we came for. Did Bolt (olympic sprinter) stop competing when he destroyed people time after time? Did Lance Armstrong stop competing when he destroyed people? i could go on, nobody quits a game because they are destroying everyone and seen as a God, that’s why they stick around.

No they wouldn’t, every top player that exists used to be a bottom player and they didn’t quit.

The NBA doesn’t work like this at all. It doesn’t force every match to be fair. It says “bring your team, we’ll place you against another team and whatever happens happens, we don’t intervene”.

“fair” matchmaking is like communism, look it up.

2 Likes

Sounds like somebody needs to eat a Snickers.

13 Likes

That’s not all there is to it. You don’t know because you haven’t played at huge tier variations like I have. I typically play at high diamond and Masters (depending on the account) and I do fine and sometimes carry matches. Yet when I play on a gold or plat account it is practically just as difficult to win matches, I can hard carry and barely win matches, there has been plenty of video evidence showing this.

3 Likes

With Fortnite, if you’re good you win OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If you’re bad, you’ll never win a match, EVER.

In APEX LEGENDS, if you’re not good, too bad you’re losing every game and you don’t stand a chance unless you put in effort to get better. If you’re good, you’ll win every match.

THIS IS REAL COMPETITIVE, AND THESE ARE THE MOST POPULAR GAMES CURRENTLY.

I’m not trying to convince you guys, I’m telling you this is how a good game works.

2 Likes

Yeah, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact they are both free to play games.

Nope, nothing at all.

8 Likes

lol there are countless free to play games that nobody plays/played. But ok, PUBG wasn’t free to play and you can win every game if you’re good and never win if you’re bad. Same with Black Ops

1 Like

Yes. That IS all there is to 50% win chance.

What rank you have played has literally no relevance to what is being said by devs when they are explaining 50% win chance. Neither does anything else i have quoted.

I have played as high as 3200 and as low as sub 500 …now what? Its not really relevant is it?

When the average sr of each team is close to the same the win chance is close to 50%. The team with higher average sr is slightly favored to win. Thats the goal when making matches. Close average sr of each team. So each team has even chance to win.

Yeah i get it sometimes at weird hours the individual sr of players is more varied. Most of the time though its acceptably close.

If you want to argue that the margin for acceptably close are not strict enough, fine. Sometimes i see screenshots of matches that look like they should not have been made. That seems like an actual problem. Thats not what you are saying though in your posts.

3 Likes

Honestly you just don’t have the game experience to make it worth my while to discuss this with you. You are a casual and there’s nothing wrong with that but in this discussion it doesn’t hold much weight.

2 Likes

So you dont understand win chance predictions and you refuse to try to understand something your brain isnt processing. Got it.

Not only that you cant actually respond to anything said (because you dont understand) so you dismiss it with “you are a casual” LOL well then. /thread right there guys!

9 Likes

That’s not the issue. I’ve seen the problem when playing with diamond and GM on their smurfs.

1. GM Mmr 4000, my Mmr 2000. Team Mmr should be around 12000 for a gold game. What happens is that we 4 team mates with 1500 mmr each.

Enemy team has 6 players at 2000 Mmr each, meaning that 4 of our team are very heavy and GM and genuine gold player has to work hard to carry that match.

1. GM is 4000 Mmr. 5 team mates 2000 Mmr. Enemy team gets a 4000 Mmr smurf on their team. May the best smurf win!

Best example I’ve yet seen was Kabaji in his gold placement on Anubis. His team were utter garbage, with a leaver. He had to go full top 500 dps try hard to drag his team to victory with 86% kill participation. Ridiculous.

Edit, this clashes with my other experiences that if I do bad, I get garbage team mates and go on massive loss streak. Then when I do well I get uber team mates on 10 streak of unlose able games to a career high.

I think that matchmaker just plain bad tbh.

3 Likes

That’s an entirely different genre of game that has little to no matchmaking whatsoever.

If you look at any well known team oriented game, ones that have survived in the competitive scene for over a decade and aren’t just an elementary school fad such as CSGO or League, they still split players up by rank as well.

They recognize that it’s a horrible idea to let GE’s go against Sliver 3’s, and climbing to the top for stronger competition is its own reward.

Let’s be real.

That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Just because you aren’t enjoying it doesn’t mean nobody is.

And judging by this thread, you seem to have a hard on for BR’s, so just go play those my dude.

Did either of them go up against teenagers who had no realistic chance of even competing with them to claim their titles as the best? Or did they go up against actual Olympic athletes who had a legitimate chance to take them down?

My point is if you want a legitimate competition, then you wouldn’t enjoy beating down on toddlers to try and boost your ego. You don’t stomp on the worst to prove you’re the best, you fight the best to prove you’re better.

Need I say more?

If the whole reason you play the game is to stomp on other players to boost your frail ego, then you can already do that with an alt, and you’re already viewed as the scum of the community, the part that literally everyone else wants to get rid of but unfortunately can’t get a consistent way to get rid of you.

And how did they climb to be the top?

Did they get thrown against T500’s while they were still learning the game in Bronze?
Or did they steadily work their way up the ladder, one step at a time, until they were up there with the best of them?

You don’t start trying to deadlift 300 lb’s before you can pick up 100 lb’s consistently. At best, you’re going to feel hopeless, and at worst, you will seriously injure yourself.

Gradual increase in difficulty for gradual improvement; that’s how humans work.

You’re right. It has age requirements that don’t allow middle schoolers participate in the NBA because that would be stupid.

Glad we can agree on that.

But again, there are rules and regulations in place precisely to keep the games fair, to an extent.

Yea… Sorta lost me after they started comparing themselves to Olympic athletes, but at least with you they had a chance to have a decent retaliation.

Ah well, I guess us filthy casuals will just carry on playing a game that’s actually well written.

7 Likes

yeah but here’s the thing
players will throw
players will be toxic
players will play for themselves
players will soft throw
players will not switch in a game about switching to counters

so any way you slice it the point of these threads is that in this game there is too much out of the players control

and control freaks be fps players lol

If Overwatch was in charge of the olympics the fastest man in the world would have won approx half of his races. enough said

1 Like

The best in the world already play in the Olympics, so it’s as close to balanced that system can manage. Your analogy is weak and not relevant.

7 Likes

lol, the best Overwatch players in the world are in the top 50, and they still have a 50% win ratio. My point is rock solid, the game is weak and will die weak.

Going further, your point supports mine. The olympic athletes got to where they are organically, not by some forced system to make things even.

1 Like

No, it is actually a balancing mechanism at work. You won’t see some third rank high school track and field player in the Olympic 100m race.

Though I have, and I’m still backing up what hes said.

I do the same in high masters/low GM.

When I play Ana at this Elo it’s a walk in the park and the things I do know let me carry. I can punish just like a DPS and shut down ults super easily, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to either, as you actually play DPS

2 Likes