Why isnt pink mercy returning

That would require some pretty substantial (and credited) work on the concept to be considered.

They were not credited for anything other than their own logo, their involvement in the event, and their acceptance of the money (and where it went).

Considering other events were very specific about where assets came from in the legalese, it seems weird they’d leave something important out.

And while I’m sure BCRF didn’t want to be linked to something actually harmful to their branding, I doubt they had more of an influence on the skin than: “Yes we are OK with having that in the event”.

I’ve never been an artist for a charity event, but I’m more educated than the majority on IP’s and someone big like Blizzard with their legal team and reason to protect that IP would very likely make SURE the lines of profit and control were drawn very solidly.

Ohh ur right about the bp

However this does put us (in general) back to simply not knowing what the contract with this collaboration entails.

And until we do all we can really do is just speculate.

Would it be cool if another event occurs and this becomes OW’s “Children’s Week”? Sure I would have no mind or issues.

But if there’s something in the agreement prohibits this, then there’s really nothing we can do on our end is there? Other than just wait for the contract to expire-if it can exprire.

Sure. But I think basing an idea on what is known rather than making up things is a stronger position.

That being that there is no reason for them to have a contract limiting blizzards use of a skin made with no credit given to any other studio or party and with no branding that is under the control of BCRF. Not beyond some secret “Ok we’ll let you have an event with our non-profit organization and donate potentially millions of dollars to our cause but under the condition you let us have a say over the assets you produce for it” contract.

Overall it’s baffling that no further events have been had and Blizzard on their part has said nothing other than “we have no plans at this time”.

Maybe they want to keep black market mercy skin prices high but not super high? Maybe they waited too long to try and build hype and now the social cred they’d get would be greatly diminished by the recent scandals coming to light and it’s not worth sparing the manpower? Maybe They didn’t like the secondary market that popped up under that event since the skin was given out by codes and they’re trying to find a way to make that not happen?

I just keep seeing people spreading the “they have a contract” statement like it’s known. And it is NOT.

3 Likes

Huh you google “Blizzard BCRF Contract PDF” you pull up

And on page 2:

The Precision Prevention Initiative (PPI) was conceived out of this vision. The overarching goal of this multiyear program is to fuel innovation and accelerate breast cancer prevention research by challenging the research community to think boldly; to explore multidisciplinary approaches to get the answers in less time, utilize new technologies or identify new ways to examine available data, and to build or enhance infrastructure, resources and tools that will facilitate innovation in prevention research for years to come. This inaugural RFA is launched with generous underwriting from Blizzard Entertainment. The PPI is intended to be a multi-year initiative for which BCRF is committed to fundraising to support continued efforts.

It sounds like an agreement through the BCRF maybe not as binding as a contract but there’s something made between the two organizations. Unless I’m misinterpreting the jargon which is possible.

1 Like

This basically just says it was from funds they got from the event which was credited when blizzard released the “what BCRF is doing with the money” post afterwards.

The donations from Pink Mercy purchases impact three critical programs: The BCRF Prevention Initiative, BCRF Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium Award, and 25 Annual BCRF Research Grants. The Precision Prevention Initiative is launched with support from Blizzard and fuels innovative preventative research.

I’d link the page but my Level 3 got taken away.

1 Like
  1. Blizzrad didn’t make any money off it. All proceeds to charity.

2. Blizzard entered into an exclusivity contract for a limited time skin that would only be available during a certain period of time. The skin sold as well as it did because of FOMO.

3. Blizzard would be breaking several laws in several countries in terms of contracts and advertising.

4. The skin was designed by a third party. There’s no telling if the artist has to, or needs to give permission for its reuse if at all, and if she would need to be paid for it to be sold again.

5. based on how many people have it, would it’s re release even be profitable enough to warrant the trouble?

6. would the outcry from the fans who bough it due to FOMO be equal to/more or less than the people who don’t have it.

7. Mercy is not in a good spot in 5v5, nor is support a beloved role anymore. Selling support cosmetics with any risk isn’t a smart idea until that changes.

8. the more pressure people apply on this topic the less Blizzard is likely to even think about it. They’ve taken a firm stance on not caving to players under any circumstance. Recently people have been posting threads saying that rage gets changes with Blizzard. It doesn’t. Even when Blizzard does revert something like the last a moira change, it happened due to internal testing and feedback, not us. We know this because they keep talking about feedback that’s not coming from us.

Now someone from the copium or hopium crowd is going to come in and try to rip my comments to shreds. They’ll try to suggest that I care one way or another about the skin. I don’t care if it comes back or not. I already give to cancer and MS charities regularly as every women in my family suffers from one or the other or both. And I hate my nasty family on a near cellular level, but no one should have to go through either of those.

I don’t like the skin. It’s very basic and her hair makes her look six. If you like that thing that’s fine but it’s not for me. Her Atlantic skin is her best skin and I will never take it off.

But I support people who like it getting it, as long as they are not being horrible people to do it. And sadly a lot of people in the Bring Pink Mercy threads start acting like thugs and goons. Which is why a LOT of people would rather it didn’t come back. Out of spite. Which I don’t agree with.

1 Like

I didnt see any one say this, but there’s also the aspect that it’s specifically abcharity skin. It’s possible the charity doesnt want them to, the red tape and paperwork wont allow it easily/without struggle, etc. When doing things for charity there are often unexpected and unseen from the outside obstacles.

For example, maybe they cant afford to lose money by donating it to a charity when the entire fandom is already pissed about not enough new content.

That all being said i have wanted that skin for years but wasnt around for it’s release. Im hoping it comes back.

A friend of mine has access to it in the unpurchased slins for her but I dont so Im wondering if maybe they’re gunna patch her in for Breast Cancer Awareness and V-Day or something.